Author Topic: Art Specifications  (Read 893 times)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
Art Specifications
« on: June 17, 2014, 11:57:50 PM »
I was just curious, but...

I noticed that certain image sizes and formats seem to have changed a bit from before?

I think that the tokens were originally 50 x 50 PNG files with transparency, and now have been expanded to 64 x 64, 128 x 128, and 192 x 192 SPR (proprietary sprite files?) that also allow animation, is that correct?

- What was the reason for the expanded sizes?  (I.e. a change of scale, or to include auras, shadows, or other effects?)
- What is the SPR filetype, and are these easy to make?
- How many animation frames are allowed, and do they just play over and over?

I was just wondering, since 99% of my own art has been created for the Dungeoncraft engine, which uses 48 x 48 (and multiples) PNG files for combat icons, which was quite close to 50 x 50, suggesting that conversion would be quite simple...  64 x 64 is significantly bigger, though, and might require redrawing to a large extent...

Also, the animation part sounds a bit fun, I was wondering how that worked...

Thanks...
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline slowdive

Re: Art Specifications
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »
When we made the change to DX9 (c# drawing commands we just too slow for animations) there was a requirement to use powers of two for textures store in GPU memory (32x32, 64x64, etc.). Tokens are a combination of the png file for the image and a spt file for the animation and other data (the spt file is just a text file so you can inspect and edit it manually if you want or use the toolset's sprite editor). Animationsfor props can be looped to play infinitely. The number of frames is up to you and the speed of playing the frames is also up to you. Creature tokens can have attack animations and Player tokens can have attack and walking animations.

Scaling your 48x48 tokens to 64x64 may work out okay with one of the GIMP or PS scale algorithms. The 128x128 is for large creatures (2x2 squares) and the 192x192 (which needs to be on a  256x256 canvas due to DX9 power of two texture sizes in GPU memory) is for giant creatures (3x3 squares).

Animations are done using sprite sheets (overall sprite sheet must have a canvas size that is power of two).

P.S. The Android version of the engine does not use DirectX and doesn't have the power of two requirement. I am using 50x50 png tokens with two frames (one frame is the normal idle frame and the second is the attack animation frame, just like gold box tokens). So the sprite sheet  is 50x100.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:23:36 PM by slowdive »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  Sounds interesting...  Can't try anything for now, though, without a Windows 7 environment (I will have one in a few weeks).

It would be cool to eventually be able to have tokens that are not squares (i.e. 1 x 2 or 2 x 1).  Many of my icons for DungeonCraft are of varying sizes (3 x 4, 4 x 1, etc.).
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline slowdive

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:33:21 PM »
Tokens and maps can be non square as long as the canvas is power of two (64x128, 128x256, 256x128, etc.) Dorateen has used a number of tokens from FRUA in his Hearkenwold campaign that are 1x2 (troll) and 2x1 (wild boar). The engine and toolset are designed to work on XP, Win7 and Win8. We went with DX9 instead of DX11 so that it would work on XP machines.