Author Topic: Towers of Magic  (Read 16525 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Towers of Magic
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »
I was thinking yesterday that I should post my characters in the art thread for tohers to use, I might sort them and put on the site but for now I will try doing this first. Here is how portrait of Barmaid looks like, now I need to do sprites and another attacking portrait.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #241 on: December 02, 2016, 03:17:29 PM »
I had 2 good days, and I figured how to attack evil characters in the inn and pass good ones. I will use that probably for most of the places from now on. Here is how Inn looks now, I still need to add things and improve it but for now here are few screenshots. Now I will try playing NWN a bit more, it is really a great game :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #242 on: December 03, 2016, 01:56:32 PM »
I think I actualy might make something till New Year, though it might involve cuting off eastern part of the town and possibly orc underground lair.

But new is I have fixed encounters in tower and now they are random with nice treasure as they are in the woods. Now I need to make town more functional and I need to switch to white background for all portraits.

There is some bug with my event with opening door (can be seen at picture 3) when door turn from stone wall to wooden wall. I hope I will figure how to fix it, I tried replacing all building wall with wood but at start it is still stone wall at the doors :/

Here is how it looks for now:

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2016, 01:24:39 PM »
I have converted all portraits to have white background like on pictures in previous post :). Somehow I think it looks good. Now I will try to do town encounters and finish 2 guilds in western part of the town.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:27:10 PM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2017, 12:20:01 AM »
Here it goes, this should be over for the New Year contest but at least finaly everything is WORKING :), that is for my druid and 4 NPCs, I played 3-4 hours and most of the spells worked as they should :). There was only 2 minor bugs, I started to fight dragon and was thinking that I might kill it and get treasure and turned Greenshot on... but game froze at 2nd screenshot and I needed to close it. Later I was replacing dead NPC partymembers and got 2 new 2nd lv characters but when I tried to view cleric some error number poped up and game crashed. I tried doing the same thing again and it worked. You can see it on the screenshots.
Latest version: http://www.reonis.com/gulan/TOM/DC_ToM_r640.zip

Now spoilers... actualy I will repeat what needs to be done just for people not to wonder around too much as I still have lots of things undone. But what You need to do is to earn 100gp and buy Adventurers Guild Membership (large building in the SE). They will send You on the mission in the woods. And spoilers probably can be read, they will probably redusce a bit more chaos and not reaveal that much:
After traveling to woods You need to find entrance to the tower. Inside You need to find wizard that will join You but that probably will not be easy but wizard with fireball will sure be helpful. If You have dead party members You can go to town and replace them with higher level NPCs that will cost gold but You probably will collect enough to hire 1 or 2 or maybe more. Then You can clean up the woods. Now this is not finished and well I will keep working on it, probably will need to have a temple for resurection of dead party members too :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:47:44 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »
but game froze at ...... error number poped up and game crashed.

You have often said that you would like to be able to help
with Dungeon Craft development.  Yet you do not help with
the easiest thing: Properly documenting bugs.  If you were
to record your gameplay and report engine failures in a
way that they can be fixed, you could be a very valuable
member of the development team.  Testing is very important
but of no value without feedback!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2017, 02:00:39 AM »
That is my intention. I am still surprised how you guys are dedicated and quickly fix things for the best.

But You will have to forgive me this time. I have installed DC after I think 2 months pause, and lately after playing 2 adventures with FRUA. I was with mom day before for eye control and later fell asleep and slept too long till 1am and then after I realized I couldn't sleep I started working on my mod and playing it till the morning.

It was just good time and those bugs were minor and I just was in process of creation so I forgot about that I should make pause and document them. Sorry I will try to do better next time because I surely want to see DC working great because I really think highly of it.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »
You will have to forgive me this time

No problem.  There is nothing to forgive.  You have made
no promises.  I just think you are passing up an opportunity
to do what you often have said you wanted to do: be a part of
DungeonCraft development.  And such help would be very
constructive.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2017, 06:22:43 AM »
Ok, I will try to be more serious. I definitely want to help with DC and to be part of development. I would like to learn and do things good like more experienced people here, meaning I need to get into things and learn to do things better like for example Dynonikos and others :). I will need to sort my priorities, and I started to write long post about my plans but I am not sure if anyone would like to listen to it :) so for now I need to make my mod work better.

I need to modify this picture as I have changed my mind about making a wizard, it seems easier just to redo this picture. Now off to town to pay electricity bills then I will start working :) And yes I will need to make my site better and to store my playings with DC in screenshot pictures in PDF.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:24:30 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »
Dear Milos,
I have several times played around with your "Towers" design and my impression is that you have nice ideas, you also obviously can do nice things with 3d art as you have showed in other posts, but "Towers of Magic" for seems quite empty to me - probably because it is too big.
My humble advice would be: Start with small designs, at least in the beginning, but fill them with "life".
The advantages would be that
  • you could come up with something that you and others can regards as "completed".
  • you could spend more energy into things like spellchecking.
  • people would perhaps more readily play your design, since most of us, including yourself, do not have much time ... :) .
  • if you encountered bugs, you could more easily make mini-mods out of your design which would be good for Manikus and Paul.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »
Thanks for advice, yes starting with a little bigger module might look like a mistake now :) but I have done a lot to make things look good, including drawing maps ect. I know it looks empty and unfinished but I need to fix that :). I have already started drawing map of the world and I should make next town expansion to the south. But for now it can be played, though I know it is a bit unfinished.

And it needs playtesters, and I need to make playing interesting. Sorry for the mistakes, I am hoping that I will fix things trough playing and make it better. Bear with me I know my work is not yet perfect :D

Anyway new modified Wizard's portrait...

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
Here is my latest play session, You will need this program or any other that can open cb7 files http://www.cdisplayex.com/
This is cb7 file, http://www.reonis.com/gulan/TOM/ToM_Adventuring_01.cb7
There was some problem with enlarge spell but it didn't crashed the game so I continued playing and try to see if it will happen again and it didn't at least two times. Later I went trough woods and got tpk-ed by drider who kept shooting arrows from afar :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:52:31 PM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2017, 03:01:36 AM »
And it needs playtesters, and I need to make playing interesting. Sorry for the mistakes, I am hoping that I will fix things trough playing and make it better. Bear with me I know my work is not yet perfect :D

Concerning playtesting:
I am sure there are always people in the forum who would be ready to playtest (including myself), but it is time consuming and may take hours of work if you take it seriously. Thus,
in an earlier stage of your design, you should only ask others to playtest if you need feedback to a certain problem, and this problem should be precisely named. Apart from that, I would only ask others to playtest if you regard your module as really finished. Otherwise, it is quite frustrating for the testers.

There was some problem with enlarge spell but it didn't crashed the game so I continued playing and try to see if it will happen again and it didn't at least two times.
Dear Milos, this is exactly what Paul mentioned earlier. What you could do is, e.g., make a mini-mod in which a spell caster can cast that spell and test several times more to see if the problem occurs. Keep in mind that bugs in DC will also annoy people playing your design, particularly if they make the game crash like the ones you described above.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #253 on: March 28, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »
Ok I will try, thanks for the suggestions. I think my main goal for now is to make my mod interesting for playing and replayable. I will try playing Your mods and hope other people will try playing mine too. I need to continue to play that dwarven module. Somehow I got busy and forgot about it. Anyway I have finaly realized that somehow I best concentrate when I work on my old lap top, that means DC and FRUA, I can play them while working other things on my desktop.

Ok for now I tried to make food hunger events, and that is for every 6 hours party to loose 1hp. They could buy drinks and food and heal 1hp or more, but I can't make this last work. It would be really cool if I could make it and that people could buy in the inn drinks and food that could heal HPs and on other stores.

Now my plans for this adventure, I guess it contains spoilers so I will write in white, though I am not sure if it will do it as planed but for now:
1. Guardians guild - Protection of town, fighting small and maybe few larger skirmishes
2. Traders Guild - Making route to woods safe, defending caravans and building a post there
3. Explorers Guild - Explore woods and bring some magical items, possibly find a tomb of old civilization
4. Smugglers guild - Scout the woods and find any adventure interesting sites
5. Adventurers Guild - Improve this quest
6. Demihumans - Will have to think about this, but it will probably scouting and conquering the town.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:58:55 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #254 on: April 04, 2017, 09:45:53 AM »
I have made food items. Common food and drinks will heal 2D2 HPs and really good will heal 2d3 HPs.

Also there will be hunger events that will happen every 6 hours and they will reduce every party memeber HPs by one.

Thanks everyone who helped me achieving this, though I still don't know how to change drink into eat but I am hoping that I will learn that in the future.