Author Topic: Still have trouble running FRUA  (Read 2228 times)

Offline sunfire1983

Still have trouble running FRUA
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:44:38 AM »
I managed to get FRUA running last year when I joined and played a few modules but I did something to the files and could no longer get FRUA to run. I gave up playing and moved on but I'm back and would again like some help getting FRUA to run.

1. I have download zipped files of FRUA, UAShell, and FRUA patch 1.2

2. I have unzipped FRUA to my desktop.

3. I have unzipped FRUA patch 1.2 to the desktop.

4. I think this is where I mess up. I don't know how to update my FRUA to patch 1.2. I don't understand in the help me file it says to "change to the drive and directory that contains the installed game". I'm probably missing something obvious. I'm not sure what is meant by change drives in windows. Can I just move the 1.2 patch files to the proper location by dragging them to my FRUA file?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Still have trouble running FRUA
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Are you running FRUA from DOSBox or from the Windows environment?  Unless you're using a very old version of Windows (like 95 or 98) on an older computer, you will need to be running in DOSBox.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
I managed to get FRUA running last year when I joined and played a few modules but I did something to the files and could no longer get FRUA to run. I gave up playing and moved on but I'm back and would again like some help getting FRUA to run.

1. I have download zipped files of FRUA, UAShell, and FRUA patch 1.2

2. I have unzipped FRUA to my desktop.

3. I have unzipped FRUA patch 1.2 to the desktop.

4. I think this is where I mess up. I don't know how to update my FRUA to patch 1.2. I don't understand in the help me file it says to "change to the drive and directory that contains the installed game". I'm probably missing something obvious. I'm not sure what is meant by change drives in windows. Can I just move the 1.2 patch files to the proper location by dragging them to my FRUA file?

There's an easier way, but it's been so long, I forget.  Something like running FRUAPTCH.exe and then running UPDATE.bat, I think, but I forget from what directory you do that in...   :-[ 

Anyways, if you haven't installed UAShell, yet, yes, you can move the patch files to the proper directories/folders manually.  For example, the patch "Script.glb" would overwrite the old one in the "Disk 3" folder. 

Now, if you have already installed UAShell, there is a small problem that must be dealt with.  Upon starting UAShell, it creates a new folder called "Default.dsn" in which it stores backups of all your original UA files.  It uses these files when, after playing a "hacked mod," you wish to go back to normal UA or "apply" a different hacked mod.  The problem would then arise that UAShell upon its restarting would treat your patched files like temporary changes from a hacked mod and re-overwrite them with the original's backups.  --So, if you have already installed UAShell and you see there is a folder called "Default.dsn" in your UA folder, delete that "Default.dsn" folder before you overwrite your v.1 files, and don't run UAShell until you've overwritten them all. 

I know I'm bad at wording instructions, so keep asking questions on any points you aren't clear on, until we get you up and running.   ;) 

Offline hans

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »
Oh, and you have already read Nol's Sticky on installing UA, right?
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=464.0

Offline sunfire1983

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
Hey guys! Thanks for the help:) I did read Nol's sticky guide. So forget what I said because last year I was having trouble so nologgie emailed me the patched files and it worked perfectly. I actually saved nologgie's emails so I wouldn't have to go through this mess when I wanted to play again, so I should have the files all ready to go minus dosbox. It's been so long that I forgot that I needed dosbox to play. I actually already have dosbox so when I have try to run it through dosbox I have another problem. Back when I was playing old games I changed the mounting on dosbox so it would automatically run another game, Menzoberranzan. Menzo is pretty terrible so I can't imagine ever playing it again and would like to change dosbox so it starts up FRUA automatically. For the  life of me I can't remember how to do that.

Sorry, I feel like I'm asking dumb questions lol but I am not very tech savvy!

Thanks guys!

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
I'm very tech unsavvy.  I've used DFend as a front end for DosBox for years.  Makes things quite easy.

Offline sunfire1983

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 12:11:23 AM »
Looks like for the most part I got it running. I just deleted dosbox and downloaded it again! Thanks!

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »
To mount a directory in DOSBox to emulate a hard drive, the command is:

mount [drive letter to emulate] [real computer directory]

So, if I had a directory with some old games in it that I wanted to act as a DOS hard drive called "oldgames" on my C: drive, I could mount it as drive C by placing this command in the configuration file or typing it directly at the DOS prompt:

mount c c:\oldgames

Again, this creates an emulated drive at letter C: that includes the contents of the directory C:\oldgames on the real computer.

If the directory was called "mygames" and was on your computer's physical drive E:, and you wanted to mount it as C: in the emulated DOSBox environment, you would want to use this command:

mount c e:\mygames

I know I'm over-explaining it, but by providing examples I hope I am making it clear.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 06:30:34 PM »
It may help you to create a Windows shortcut that includes all the parameters you need. You just need to create a shortcut and then insert the appropriate command line in the "Target" field under the shortcut's "Properties".

I have two - one to run default FRUA:

Code: [Select]
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -userconf "C:\...\FRUA\Unlimited Adventures\START.BAT" -exit
And one to run UAShell:

Code: [Select]
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -userconf "C:\...\FRUA\UASHELL.BAT" -exit
(Obviously you need to ensure that the paths point appropriately to the places where you have Dosbox and FRUA installed.

anything