Author Topic: Preview: Hearkenwold  (Read 9638 times)

Offline Dorateen

Re: Preview: Hearkenwold
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »
Thank you! Now that you mention it, I do see the little red fleck in the bottom corner of that door slot. I hardly noticed when I was playing through and testing.

Art and graphics isn't a strong point for me, although I can appreciate the talented work of others. I figured once I get the module up and running, I'll start making requests for specific monster icons. I can replace ol' Rorn up there with the default DC orc cheiftain icon, if it looks really bad, ha!
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »
I like the idea Dinonykos had of sharing a Halloween-themed picture today. So here's a little something from Hearkenwold.

Hearkenwold

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
Very haunting... :wave:
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 07:43:41 PM »
And very persuasive, too, apparently: not many options available to the party in that Question List event.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »
And very persuasive, too, apparently: not many options available to the party in that Question List event.

Believe me, you don't want to mess with that spectre! However, I am all for giving player options. So I have included a line for characters to stand and try to fight the ghost.

Today I have been bogged down in a couple chains with branching paths. Mostly to do with taking into account available dialogue options depending on whether certain events have taken place or not, and other conditions.

The bulk of the module work is done, so I should hope to put it up for testing soon.
Hearkenwold

Offline slowdive

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »
That's awesome to hear Dorateen! Look forward to play testing what you have ready for us. I'll probably avoid any encounters with spectres if possible  ;D

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »
Well, fingers crossed, I finished the side-quest with the forking NPC conversations that I've been wrestling with. I'm anxious to see that one tested by other players. I've run through it so many times already.

I also completed the story line for the main quest giver in the castle. Again, hoping I haven't broken anything along the way. Multiple quest stages in that one.

Now I only have a few encounters to add. So it should be a matter of days, not weeks, to make the demo available.

Finally, wrapped up this side adventure today. The conversation is pretty straightforward, but involves a lot of text. This NPC talks too much.

Hearkenwold

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 05:33:20 AM »
It is really cool that another design is close to being finished. You will probably outrun me then, I aim at December for the release of my new design. I am looking forward to test yours and see how you handle dialogs...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
I would like to put up the demo of Hearkenwold for testing. If anyone is interested to try it out, the file can be downloaded here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00125013857123644667

This module was created using Dungeon Craft version 1.00 and as such, there will be a few known engine issues that will be resolved in upcoming releases.

A few points for people who have played the IceBlink version or going into this as a new adventure.

The module uses restricted zone resting. There is a place in the castle to rest, and a few other spots scattered in various areas. Exploration and discovery are key here.

I have incorporated secret doors in a couple of places. Now in this version, apparently only Elves and maybe Gnomes, can detect secret doors. This is something fixed in later versions of Dungeon Craft. Far be it from me to force a player to take a certain type character in the party, but one secret door is sort of plot critical. The good thing about the engine is that there is a roster management aspect, where you can always drop a character temporarily, and bring an elf along to get through the door.

Training halls! This is one of the features why I was drawn to Dungeon Craft. I have always liked the need to go to a training facility to level-up. It just feels more like pen and paper that way. In Hearkenwold, players are not charged for training, however it is class specific. There are 4 trainers that can be found in the castle, and one trainer out in the wilderness.

Hearkenwold as a campaign was first developed in the IceBlink toolset, and remains a work in progress. Some leads for questlines are unfinished, left in a To Be Continued state, but there is still a good amount of playable content. The module starts at level 1 and should be able to advance to level 4.

For installation, unzip the compressed file. Inside is a folder called Hearkenwold.dsn This should be moved to the My Documents directory. Inside this folder is the Dungeon Craft exe. application to click on and launch the game.

Feedback is always appreciated!

I should add, the module is designed for a party of 6 characters. However, taking less than that could be an interesting experience, depending on party composition. Combat balance is something I would like to get feedback about.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:46:12 AM by Dorateen »
Hearkenwold

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
I have downloaded this and had a quick first view. Looks promising.

I also realized that we (I mean those who do art for DC) should do some more default walls/overlays, and some more icons for the player to chose during character generation would also be nice...

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
I have downloaded this and had a quick first view. Looks promising.

Thank you very much! I agree some more wall textures would be helpful, but I haven't even started to look at the Wall editing utility. Certainly there are some  wallsets from the FRUA archives I would like to see worked into Dungeon Craft.

Uatu has some nice character icons on his website. I imagine it is just a matter of dropping the .png files into the approprite folder, for a greater variety to select from.
Hearkenwold

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
One thing that already occured to me is that quotation marks would be helpful. :)

Thank you very much! I agree some more wall textures would be helpful, but I haven't even started to look at the Wall editing utility. Certainly there are some  wallsets from the FRUA archives I would like to see worked into Dungeon Craft.

And backdrops, as I have seen. I should see if I can do a forest backdrop some time...

EDIT: Sorry, I realized that you use different text color to mark speech - of course, that works also.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:40:12 AM by Dinonykos »

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
There are three backdrops I used for forest areas. One is with the overhanging green and grass texture, that is black in the distance. Makes it seem like a dark wood where light does not penetrate. This same style is used again with the autumn colored leaves. And then I have a regular daytime grass backdrop, where I placed walls of trees.

So a variety of forest backdrops in more Dungeon Craft freindly art would be most welcome!
Hearkenwold

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »
This reminds me of another issue, which is also a problem of the artists: Some walls and backgrounds become darker in the distance, others show the same brightness from close up to far away. If these are combined, it looks strange. Maybe it would be wise to agree which approach should be used for default art...

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
I have upgraded the Hearkenwold Demo to DC version 1.02

Also took this opportunity to add in some new PC icons for players to choose from. These are from Uatu's work that he has done for DungeonCraft, and I'm grateful to include these selections.

The compressed file can be downloaded here:

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/2evo9n

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:13:40 PM by Dorateen »
Hearkenwold

anything