Author Topic: Preview: Hearkenwold  (Read 8388 times)

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Preview: Hearkenwold
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »
Your design looks like it's coming along quite nicely. :)

That's a really good tip about doing the NPC conversations. Forget about a bunch of complicated quests to track if the party has been there before or not. You could even use a couple of chains to keep track of the first couple of visits if you wanted.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 05:08:47 PM »
Is the goal to have the first demo include the same quests that the first demo for IB had?

I think the first DC demo is going to have everything up to the most recent version in IceBlink. However, I am then going to release the next IB update that includes the city of Khyn and further quests.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline slowdive

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »
Wow, that is awesome and sounds like you got some work cut out for you there. I guess we can wait a bit longer to try it out  ;D

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »
Just a quick progress report.

I have 17 out of 25 Levels in play. I'm going through the conversations and encounters as I build the maps. I've created one unique item in the database so far, and added a few of the new critters, even using their FRUA combat icons. You won't be facing only goblins during the adventure. I have also started to add the first of the human/demihuman enemies to the monster database. There are a couple of "enemy party" fights in this demo.
Hearkenwold

Offline slowdive

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »
Sounds like you are making some quick progress there. Anymore screenies  ;D

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »
Anymore screenies  ;D

Well, I don't want to be too spoilerish... although it's been fun coming up with the backdrop/wall combination for the village and the well. And you know that area close to the hills, I think it looks good with the change to an autumn themed set to reflect those orange-golden leaf trees. Maybe I'll post a couple of those!

OK, here's one from the Village of Witchlight

And this area of wilderness, leaving the Kingdom behind

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:09:37 PM by Dorateen »
Hearkenwold

Offline slowdive

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 07:31:59 PM »
Looks great! Looking forward to meeting some of those enemy parties  :D

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »
Time for a progress report! I now have 22 out of 25 Levels in play. In fact, the last three remaining maps are part of a cavern dungeon adventure. I should get to that next week.

There are about 24 conversations left, but these include both simple narrative text statements and more in-depth conversations with NPCs. The latter take a while when there are quest stages and items that need to be accounted for, but it is all starting to fall into place.

Will I be able to make a Halloween release of the demo? Perhaps... depends on how much time I have in the next two weeks to work with Dungeon Craft.

Here's some more screenshots in the meantime.

I like this view, with the rocks in the background

Adventure-y stuff

Meet mysterious strangers!

Here piggy, piggy

Hearkenwold

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Looks great!

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
Thanks! I haven't upgraded to version 1.01 yet, but will do so as things get more stable. I have not run into any game-stopping bugs. So I'm happily building away for now.

Your Arena module helped me see how to make the fog of war for the area map. (Allow Auto Map in the zone settings.) That makes a big difference for exploration.
Hearkenwold

Offline slowdive

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 11:00:54 PM »
More good progress there. Thanks for sharing the screenshots and it looks like you are getting the conversations working. Looking forward to testing it out once you are ready for some additional set of eyes on it.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 08:45:36 AM »
Thanks, slowdive. It will definitely need some testing, and I am very curious about how different party builds will manage. Or even smaller sized groups. This also divides experience between members, so while a 600 xp battle will net a full party 100 xp each, a duo of characters will each get 300 xp and advance more quickly. But will they survive? The AD&D rules, including memorized casting, seems like it might be tougher. But it will be interesting to see.
Hearkenwold

Offline slowdive

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 01:33:42 PM »
Awesome! I loved trying different party sizes and party classes combinations in Gold Box and IE games to see how they fared. I'll definitely try a trio and maybe a duo and depending on how that goes maybe a solo. I think others will probably properly test a full party so I may leave that for others at first.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 03:09:36 PM »
This week, I finished building the last of the Levels.

I have 5 major conversations left that I'm in the middle of. These involve a bit of running back and forth between NPCs. Nothing groundbreaking, but I've got some nice reactivity to the player's actions going on.

I also need to finish up the remaining combat encounters. There are monsters and treasure that I have to add to the databases.

One thing I am doing in a few places is using the old Gold Box style combat icons, where I couldn't find a suitable one in the default resources. I hope the artwork clash is not too much of a contrast. This might only be a placeholder, until something better comes along. But mostly I am using the icons for named enemies or other unique creatures.

And here are a few dungeon screenshots.

This looks like there's something unnatural beyond that door...

I like this combination of walls, which makes it seem like the masonry of ruins buried underground.

Hearkenwold

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
This looks really nice! In case you need something special concerning art (e.g. a replacement for that low resolution icon mentioned above), you can make a wishlist in the art section...

Concerning the last screenshots, it seems that there is a minor graphic problem with grey wall and the lattice door (shifted by 1 pixel compared to the neighbouring walls, and a strange red dot...). Could be my fault when I made the wall, or something went wrong when the wall was transferred from 1024 to 640 resolution... Maybe Manikus knows what might have happened?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE