Author Topic: Preview: Hearkenwold  (Read 8191 times)

Offline Dorateen

Preview: Hearkenwold
« on: September 27, 2014, 09:51:49 AM »
I would like to announce that I am converting the Hearkenwold campaign I've been working on, over to Dungeon Craft.

First, a little background, since I have not been around these parts very long. I made a module for FRUA back in 1997. Then I got involved with the NWN2 modding community in 2006. More recently, I have been working with the IceBlink engine, where I have had this adventure in development. There was much allure for me because of the Gold Box style tactical combat, and the ability to use FRUA art assets. So it seems a natural fit to move right over to Dungeon Craft, now that it is officially released.

Here are some screenshots from what I have started with so far:

I'm planning to get the content as close as possible to what I have made in the IceBlink version, which is an ongoing work in progress. When I have something playable, I will post a demo for Dungeon Craft.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Preview: Hearkenwold
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »
We certainly welcome a new DC project.  You will no doubt
encounter problems in the editor and engine.  I hope you
report them rather than try to work around them.  After fifteen
years it would be a shame not to tidy up the final details that
keep designing from being a frustrating experience.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
Thanks! I will be sure to report issues and ask for help when I get stumped.

Right now, I am working with Chained events and triggers to create a flow of NPC conversations. Realizing that the typical Gold Boxes weren't really designed for this, does present some challenges. For example, the need to load of the NPC picture for each text statement in an event, which is itself a multi-step process. Would be nice if there was a way to assign a Default image to an event (with the ability to swap out as needed). But that is a minor quibble.
Hearkenwold

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »
For example, the need to load of the NPC picture for each text statement in an event, which is itself a multi-step process. Would be nice if there was a way to assign a Default image to an event (with the ability to swap out as needed). But that is a minor quibble.

Here is a tip I do when I encounter such a situation: I create a directory called TEMP in my Editor directory in the Dungeon Craft/Editor/ directory. In that TEMP directory i put in some commonly used art. The editor always remembers the LAST directory you used to pick art so it will then keep using this TEMP directory until you pick another location. This should speed up this process for you quickly :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:49:30 PM by Jaesun »

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »
nice if there was a way to assign a Default image to an event

I think it might be easy to remember the latest art for
a particular event.  That art would be inserted automatically when
a new event is created.  If there is consensus that this
is useful, remind me in a week or so.  I'll try to implement
it for the text event.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 02:13:34 PM »
For example, the need to load of the NPC picture for each text statement in an event, which is itself a multi-step process. Would be nice if there was a way to assign a Default image to an event (with the ability to swap out as needed). But that is a minor quibble.

I agree that it would be nice if each event had a default image.

Did you know that you can copy the file name and paste it into the editor? This makes it a process of pressing CTRL+V instead of searching through the vast resources folder.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline slowdive

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
When I have something playable, I will post a demo for Dungeon Craft.

Sign me up for the demo testing  ;D  Looking forward to trying this out!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »
Hi Dorateen. :) Glad to see that you want to use DC for a project. As Paul said, if any issues come up, let us know. Same goes for any assistance needed. One of us here will certainly know the answer. :D

As a designer (not the project manager) don't much like default art to be chosen for anything because then I have to include those images in my design while working on it to avoid callouts.

An easy way that I do chains where the image is the same and the events are the same type - copy and paste. :) In the event editor, just select the event you wish to copy and hit the "Copy" button, open that events tree and choose the optioin you want, such as "Normal Chain" and press "Paste". Then you just edit the event to change or add text.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »
For my own part, I would prefer that there not be default art, and that the art used in the previous event not be used by default. In most cases successive text events in a chain will not use the same image. I think there is a risk of an unintended image being left in.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 08:58:49 AM »
Jaesun, thanks for the tip about the TEMP folder. I will put the NPC smallpic_ files in there, and that should make it a little faster.

The copy and paste function is helpful as well. Short cuts like that are great.

Default art is not that big of deal, just something I noticed with the way I was stringing out some of these events. For example, in the screenshot above with the dwarf, those 5 responses in the Question List each chain to a unique text statement, but spoken by the same NPC. So I was adding the statements and going through the steps of loading up the picture for each one. After a while, I got tired of seeing that dwarf's face, ha! Anyway, some of the "conversations" I'm doing might get lengthy.
Hearkenwold

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 07:40:32 PM »
Jaesun, thanks for the tip about the TEMP folder. I will put the NPC smallpic_ files in there, and that should make it a little faster.

The copy and paste function is helpful as well. Short cuts like that are great.

Default art is not that big of deal, just something I noticed with the way I was stringing out some of these events. For example, in the screenshot above with the dwarf, those 5 responses in the Question List each chain to a unique text statement, but spoken by the same NPC. So I was adding the statements and going through the steps of loading up the picture for each one. After a while, I got tired of seeing that dwarf's face, ha! Anyway, some of the "conversations" I'm doing might get lengthy.

My tip for laoding images (this requires you to be at least a little bit familiar with file names) is to type it in the box instead of scrolling through the folder -  for example all of hte default NPC portraits are called "portrait_NPC_NNN.png", so typing portrait_N will give you a list of just the NPC portraits (unless you have turned the auto-assist off in Windows).

Also, copying and pasting that same Text Statement event (with picture of NPC but no text) will save you much time.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 09:28:22 AM »
That copy-paste method has been great. I've been using that for successive text statements and other places, and it has sped up the process considerably.

Also, got one of the more important chain events working with proper reactivity to quest stages. Pretty exciting stuff.
Hearkenwold

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 05:27:30 PM »
Excellent. :) Quests always seem tricky to me, because I have no experience using them in FRUA. Hearing that you could get it working wiht the minimal documentation is good news.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
After the first full week of working in Dungeon Craft, I feel I've made some good progress. I have 11 maps (or "levels") up so far, and continuing to add content. Started placing combat encounters and treasure. Shaping up nicely, so far.

Here is a battle with goblins now using swords, thanks to Uatu's icons.

A foreboding location

Exploring the cavern dungeon

I also wanted to talk a little about how I've structured conversations, on the odd chance there might be something helpful here. This adventure has many NPCs that the party will meet and talk with, and return to from time to time. Even normal residents have a greeting, and then acknowledge they have met the characters already when spoken to again.

The way I do this is by placing a Chain in the event square, with the Once Only box checked. Then in the Chained Event, I place the initial text statement that represents an NPC greeting. Often, I will follow this with a Question List, if I want to give the party response options like a branching dialogue. This continues as far as the first conversation needs to run its course.

Now, because the master Chain was set to trigger once only, the next time the party steps on that square, it will default to the Normal Chain sequence. For a simple conversation, there might only be a text statement here, with the NPC saying hello again, or telling the party to stop bothering them. For more complex situations that will involve multiple quest stages, I put another Chain event on the Normal Chain, and it starts the pattern all over again.

Here is sample from the toolset:

Hearkenwold

Offline slowdive

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
Looking great Dorateen...excited to test it out once you have the first demo ready. Is the goal to have the first demo include the same quests that the first demo for IB had?

anything