Author Topic: Module Idea  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
Module Idea
« on: January 30, 2014, 12:33:19 PM »
Trying to feel people out to see if this arouses interest or not.

I've been working, on and off, on a module where you play Pool of Radiance 'from the other side', playing monsters defending Old Phlan against the invasions of the humans and demi-humans trying to wipe you out and take your homes. I started with Ray Dyer's Pool of Radiance mod for its items and maps, and have hacked the race names and class names and levels to allow for kobold, goblin, orc, hobgoblin, gnoll, and half-orc characters. Characters can be fighters, shamans (clerics), witchdoctors (cleric/mages), or thieves. Cleric and cleric/mage levels are of course limited. For a similar reason, the spells have been given names more typical to the typical humanoid intellect ('Hold Person' becomes 'Stop Man'). I've used the existing humanoid combat icons out there to create an appropriate CBODY.TLB. For now, I'm using the default FRUA combat icons to represent enemy parties, but if anyone can rip the Goldbox customizable icons for a more 'authentic' look, that would be nice. ;)

Now, here's the thing. Ideally, we'd have loads and loads of 'enemy' parties, often with silly themes near the beginning to reflect the efforts of 13-year-old boys (and the occasional girl) playing the game for the first time, and gradually growing more serious as levels increase. However, the 112-monster limit makes me run into a serious hard limit here, as I will rapidly run out of monster slots. (Additionally, I will have to keep some of the original monsters as well to make the game reasonably true to its inspiration.) Does anyone have any ideas before I go further?

Offline hans

Re: Module Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »
...However, the 112-monster limit makes me run into a serious hard limit here, as I will rapidly run out of monster slots...

Sounds like a terrific idea! 

To get around the monster limit, I'd suggest you turn the mod into a serial.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:39:39 PM »
Sounds like an awesome idea.

Hans' suggestion about serializing the game sounds like a solid way to optimize the monster slots.

As my good friend, Hannibal Smith, might say, "I love it when a Phlan comes together!"

Offline Null Null

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »
Hadn't thought of that one. I just really don't want to get caught up halfway and leave the community with half a game.

The extra monsters produced by UADU all wind up as NPCs, right?

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:37:06 PM »
...As my good friend, Hannibal Smith, might say, "I love it when a Phlan comes together!"

LOL   ;D

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
For now, I'm using the default FRUA combat icons to represent enemy parties, but if anyone can rip the Goldbox customizable icons for a more 'authentic' look, that would be nice. ;)

If you are able to cut, paste, and use a color replacement tool, then you should be able to take these two files and drop them into the DRAWCPIC.PCX template to create a nice variety of demihuman combat icons.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Null Null

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:19:10 PM »
Ah-ha! Thank you!

What do you use for PCX manipulation? I have an old version of PC Paintbrush, I think, but I have to run it in Dosbox...

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 04:14:57 AM »
What do you use for PCX manipulation? I have an old version of PC Paintbrush, I think, but I have to run it in Dosbox...

Paint Shop Pro 2.0 works well.

I like your module idea and I will certainly play the game when it's finished.

Right now I'm still playing Vanilla Dungeon and preparing a list of suggestions of things that could be slightly improved. Maybe that can help you with this project as well.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Null Null

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 06:30:44 AM »
<chuckle> He's so diplomatic. Thanks!

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 01:06:07 PM »
<chuckle> He's so diplomatic. Thanks!

These are really just minor things, nothing dramatic. ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 02:18:07 PM »
I just really don't want to get caught up halfway and leave the community with half a game.

Better half an adventure than none at all. 

Our community would certainly be the poorer without AT1: Dark Alliances, for example. 

Of course, I've started a couple of serials, myself, that I have no plans to finish, and will likely start more... :P

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »
Of course, I've started a couple of serials, myself, that I have no plans to finish, and will likely start more... :P

Nooo, I'm still waiting for the conclusion of those.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
Yeah me too :) though i am afraid too my half finished projects will left unfinished so i should better keep working on it. Lately it seems i will continue to run that Ruins of Greyhawk, and i am hoping for DC version too, though it is a long story and i might not be able to do it all by myself probably :) but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG6Dj1RIeag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXxHJ-eIVw

Offline Null Null

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 03:34:03 PM »
Weeelll...I do have the option of rotating through a variety of race/class enemies as was done in the Goldbox games (most prominently Treasures), with 'special' enemies for flavor at big fights. I'm personally not fond of the serial mod, though I realize we are limited by the 36 dungeon limit (there was no way Ray Dyer was going to make the Realm a single mod). But...life is about compromises.

One thing I did want to do is have the treasures scattered throughout the game held by enemy adventuring parties, so you get the Short Bow+1 and the 20 arrows +1 by fighting a character with it. These would probably be unique enemies. There are about 70 discrete 'treasure points' in POR by my count, and I might be able to reuse some enemies for some of the items that popped up more than once like the Short Bow +1 or the Chain Mail +1.

Pool of Radiance also has its own race/class enemies like '3RD LEVEL FIGHTER', who I associate with POR just as I associate the Red Bit of Moander and the Blue Bane Minion with POD, or the Skel Warrior with DKK. I could use them to round out parties, and they will probably be necessary anyway as the party should wind up fighting New Phlan's guards eventually. ;)

A challenge is going to be keeping the fights interesting. Usually Goldbox games had a mix of humans (cast Hold Person and Stinking Cloud), humanoids (cast Sleep, or fireball/stinking cloud for giants), undead (turn or fireball), and monsters (fireball, or combat if immune). (In Buck Rogers, this divided up nicely into humans, robots, and monsters, each of which had its own tactics and preferred weapons.) A humanoid party should still be able to encounter undead in the graveyard and Cadorna Textile House, or monsters in the wilderness (though some of the more obscure ones are going to go), but there will be a strong human/demihuman presence due to the premise of the game. Any suggestions?

Offline hans

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 07:58:17 PM »
A humanoid party should still be able to encounter undead in the graveyard and Cadorna Textile House, or monsters in the wilderness (though some of the more obscure ones are going to go), but there will be a strong human/demihuman presence due to the premise of the game. Any suggestions?

While the strongest contingent of adversaries in POR were allied with "The Boss" Tyranthraxus, there were quite a few other foes of the Heroes of Phlan with other agendas (Yarash, for example).  Moreover, many alliances with Tyranthraxus were uneasy, and double-crosses (as with Councilman Cadorna) wouldn't seem too unusual (especially if Tyranthraxus could be kept in the dark).  Also, many monsters would be uncontrollable.  In fact, the Ettins in his service had to be "charmed or controlled." 

So, besides good guys, a party as you describe would likely have to fight other bad guys and monsters from time to time.