Author Topic: FRUA on DosBox: GCW-Zero open source handheld  (Read 2259 times)

Offline vaustein

FRUA on DosBox: GCW-Zero open source handheld
« on: December 12, 2013, 05:14:01 AM »
My GCW-Zero black arrived today from ThinkGeek! http://www.gcw-zero.com/

Here is a photo of FRUA running in DosBox on my GCW-Zero. The module running in FRUA is Game25.dsn, Ray Dyer's excellent conversion of the printed modules Tsojcanth & Tharizdun. Enjoy!

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: FRUA on DosBox: GCW-Zero open source handheld
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 05:50:13 AM »
It looks good :) now wish i have a tablet and play around :D meh better to get to work.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:04:12 AM »
How much does one of those things cost?  I was looking for something like that.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline vaustein

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
How much does one of those things cost?  I was looking for something like that.

$150 @ ThinkGeek.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
How does it run?  I have something similar (Dingoo), and it's pretty slow with most things.  Just curious what you've tried with it.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »

Love it!

And great choice of game, too!   :P

Offline vaustein

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 12:42:48 AM »
How does it run?  I have something similar (Dingoo), and it's pretty slow with most things.  Just curious what you've tried with it.

Most working GCW-Zero apps are packaged as OPK files compatible with the particular Dingoo Linux kernel running on the GCW-Zero. To run FRUA on the GCW-Zero, just follow these steps.
  • Format a MicroSD card as FAT32.
  • Name the MicroSD card something other than the Windows default name "Removable Disk". Do not keep the default name, otherwise the Dingoo OS will have trouble recognizing the card. Let's call it "gcw".
  • On the MicroSD card, create a root folder called "apps".
  • Drop the DosBox OPK into the "apps" folder on the MicroSD card. You can find it here: http://www.gcw-zero.com/file.php?file=dosbox.opk
  • Create a second root folder on the MicroSD card. Let's call it "games". So you now have two folders "apps" and "games" on the root (top of the folder hierarchy) of your MicroSD card.
  • Copy the FRUA folder on your Windows PC to the new folder on the MicroSD card.
  • Insert the MicroSD card into your GCW-Zero and power on. In about 10 seconds, you will see the excellent GMenu2X interface.
  • Using the shoulder buttons of the GCW-Zero, navigate to the "Emulators" category and launch DosBox.
  • A file selector appears. Select your FRUA folder, e.g. "/media/gcw/games/frua". Notice that "/media/[MicroSDname]" is the Linux mount point of your MicroSD card.
  • Enjoy FRUA!

Please keep in mind that the GCW-Zero is a fringe device dreamed up by folks who have been playing with open source handhelds for years. I own a GP2X F100, GP2X F200, GP2X Wiz, and GP2X Caanoo. I've never used the Dingoo A320, but it was a primary source of inspiration for the GCW-Zero. Unfortunately, the business side of the GCW-Zero is a garage industry, and they farmed out the hardware design and manufacturing to China. Consequently, many units are shipping with small flaws. Caveat emptor.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:55:00 AM by vaustein »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »
I do own the Dingoo A320 (the only one that I do own).  It's great for what it does, but it could be a little faster.  Then again, I bought it five years ago, so I imagine that technology has increased quite a bit.  Apparently things run better if you use Dingux (Dingoo Linux), but I've never been able to get it to run reliably on my Dingoo for some reason...so I just stick with what it can run out of the box.

As I've had the Dingoo for about five years, I'm looking to update it to something better.  It's still chugging along after all this time, mind you, and doing a fine job (it really is a nice device, especially since I only paid $89 for it).  But, the screen is small and it's getting worn...so I thought I'd ask in case this was the device I might consider.

The specs don't seem to be that much more advanced than the Dingoo, though.  So I may go after one of the Android devices that have controllers built onto them instead (Android emulators run really well if you know which ones to buy).  I'll wait and see.

Thanks for the info.