Author Topic: PREVIEW: Pool of Radiance, Dungeon Craft Conversion  (Read 12155 times)

Offline ManuelM

Re: PREVIEW: Pool of Radiance, Dungeon Craft Conversion
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »
I think I will do that, thanks :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
This morning I worked on recreating the overland map from Pool of Radiance. I would have shown you what I did, but it's not done because I made an error and need to figure out and correct that before I share. When it's ready, I will post the PoR and DC versions. That should be tomorrow.

As an aside, I am now convinced that I never finished this one as I'm looking at levels in the game that are not even sparking the tiniest memory. :D I remember the city, but I'll be darned if I ever used the overland. That's kind of exciting really, as if I were finding a long lost GB game. :D :D :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »
Cool 8)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
This morning I got the walls and backdrops done for the Lizard Men Keep and the Lizard Men Catacombs. Thinks have slowed down because I can' tuse Area view in these levels and the saved game I am using as my base finished the main game, but did not visit the Lizard men of Kobolds or Nomads or Sorcerer's Isle.

I also completed the overland map. I put the GB version in the Pool of Radiance Hub, and here is the version for DC (or I gues a version - the one that I will use)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »
Very nice map ;) thanks for posting it.

Offline refar

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 03:42:00 AM »
So, now that DC is out, are you ever going to finish this or is it best considered abandoned?
-refar

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
So, now that DC is out, are you ever going to finish this or is it best considered abandoned?
-refar

Give this thread a read: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2913.0

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »
-refar

Thanks, Jaesun. :D

This is one of those projects that I always knew I wouldn't finish. :) But, I always planned on putting up something, at least all of the maps with correct art.

To be honest, I doubt I will get anything done before DC 1.2 or there abouts. Too many things still need fixing.

Offline refar

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 01:05:22 AM »

Thanks Jaesun, but I'm highly skeptical. First of all, even playing through Pool to Pools is an enourmous commitment, let alone remaking ALL of those games in DC. So I strongly doubt this will ever get anywhere.
Especially not if people worry about copyright responsibilities of thirty year old games.

I would have had more faith in a remake of only PoolRad, because it's fairly limited in scope. Alas...

This is one of those projects that I always knew I wouldn't finish. :)

Pfft. If you always knew you weren't going to finish it, maybe you shouldn't have posted about it in the Previews/Reviews section of the forums?
Or at least put a fat "I'm just screwing around and this will never get anywhere" disclaimer right in the first post?

I mean, I kinda suspected as much before even posting the question, but I can't help myself, this kind of approach just rubs me the wrong way.

Thanks for the replies anyhow guys.
-refar

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 03:09:22 AM »
This is one of those projects that I always knew I wouldn't finish. :)

Pfft. If you always knew you weren't going to finish it, maybe you shouldn't have posted about it in the Previews/Reviews section of the forums?
Or at least put a fat "I'm just screwing around and this will never get anywhere" disclaimer right in the first post?

You surely have a point here, but still, I think it is okay showing previews even if the chances are high that the related designs may not be finished. It may turn out that others support a project one alone cannot complete, and suddenly it works. Or others give helpful hints that makes the designer change his ideas a little so that the design can be completed. In any case, as long as some substance is behind the preview (and in Manikus' case, there surely is), it may result in fruitful discussions and new ideas (as here)...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage:
The Fiend's Ritual - Rise of the Insectoids -
Snow Tigress - Case of the stolen Masterpiece
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline refar

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 07:47:34 AM »
Maybe you're right Dionykos.
I've since browsed the forums a bit and seen it's extremely common for Manikus to start projects that all never get anywhere because he abandons them in favor of other projects that equally get nowhere because he abandons them in favor of other projects ... and so on and so forth.

Maybe the forums should just have a "module development" subforum where ideas are being thrown around and potential projects are outlined?
As opposed to a Reviews and Previews section like this one, where - as a user not experienced with the particular culture here - I'd expect reasonable chances of actually getting to play at least some of the stuff posted herein. Which is obviously wrong on all kinds of levels.
-refar

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »

First of all, even playing through Pool to Pools is an enourmous commitment, let alone remaking ALL of those games in DC. So I strongly doubt this will ever get anywhere.
Especially not if people worry about copyright responsibilities of thirty year old games.

Well buddy, you're right, it is a big project and will take a while.  So it may not be done in a short or even long time, but it will get done eventually. 

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
Maybe you're right Dionykos.
I've since browsed the forums a bit and seen it's extremely common for Manikus to start projects that all never get anywhere because he abandons them in favor of other projects that equally get nowhere because he abandons them in favor of other projects ... and so on and so forth.

Maybe the forums should just have a "module development" subforum where ideas are being thrown around and potential projects are outlined?
As opposed to a Reviews and Previews section like this one, where - as a user not experienced with the particular culture here - I'd expect reasonable chances of actually getting to play at least some of the stuff posted herein. Which is obviously wrong on all kinds of levels.
-refar

Whatever..
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:33:53 PM by manikus »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 02:02:10 AM »
Manikus works very hard on many aspects of DC, including the engine itself - it is amazing that he manages to produce any mods at all.  In comparison, I've never even released a demo mod...  Gotta respect the guy!

I just draw pictures for the most part, but I can say that just working on one thing can feel like monotony, while working on a bunch of things (or not) as you get excited about them feels a lot better.  For example, I drew my first of 10 (chromatic and metallic) dragon icons maybe in 2008 or 2009... finally finished the last of them in 2013 or so.  It took a long time, but it was fun, and I drew a lot of other stuff in the meantime, too!  (Got all the basic 6 giants, etc.)  The good thing is that some kind of work is constantly being worked on, because it's fun.

But anyway, I think it is good times now for DC, since 1.0+ has been released!  So, it's good that you are interested in the mods, I'm sure that more are on the way!
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 03:45:41 AM »
Manikus works very hard on many aspects of DC, including the engine itself - it is amazing that he manages to produce any mods at all. ... ...  Gotta respect the guy!

True. Very true.

But anyway, I think it is good times now for DC, since 1.0+ has been released!  So, it's good that you are interested in the mods, I'm sure that more are on the way!

And, just to make that clear, several designs discussed in the "Reviews and Previews" section have been completed or are on a good way to be completed.  ;D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage:
The Fiend's Ritual - Rise of the Insectoids -
Snow Tigress - Case of the stolen Masterpiece
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE