Author Topic: UNFINISHED MOD: Ghost in the Machine  (Read 2044 times)

Offline hans

UNFINISHED MOD: Ghost in the Machine
« on: September 28, 2013, 02:27:11 PM »
I played as much as I could (that is, what there is) of Ben Sanderfer's "GHOST IN THE MACHINE" -- DEMO VERSION (Buck.zip), an unfinished Buck Rogers-25th Century Module for UA.  I wanted to compare how much Ben'd had to work with when starting the mod against what BR hacks have more recently become available (thanks to GoldBoxFan). 

First though, I should mention that the writing is of the same high quality style evidenced in Ben's many other mods.  The players are almost immediately caught in an entertaining, nearly noir-ish, intrigue brought to them by a beautiful mystery woman, which plops them on the wrong side of the law.  There are only a handful of combats and a couple of important incidents before reaching the mod's unfinished edge.  It certainly left me wanting to continue the adventure, and I hope that one day Ben will finish it. 

Comparing this mod, again, with GoldBoxFan's BR-UA demo, I looked for areas that might still be absent in completing a full BR mod. 

Neither had Buck Rogers MIDI music. 

Both had a hacked Ckit (perhaps two different versions of the same one) with some good stuff, but also some problems.  For example, both had issues with trying to divvy up won money from combats (leaving "Share" as the only option to appropriate the funds).  I believe it would be impossible to fully replicate the BR engine through hacking UA, but clearly more could be done to get one of these Ckits closer. 

Should Ben ever take up the mod again, he could make good use of the new BR Wallsets GoldBoxFan has furnished.  Matching Combat Dungeons still need to be made, but that's not too hard. 

Of course, Ben might have had plans to go beyond where BR had ever been before, so there's no way for me to tell if there might be even more art that his plan would require.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: UNFINISHED MOD: Ghost in the Machine
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I did another Buck Rogers module after this one ("Buck Rogers XXV: Chaos Factor"), which is complete, if you haven't played it already.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I did another Buck Rogers module after this one ("Buck Rogers XXV: Chaos Factor"), which is complete, if you haven't played it already.

I forgot about that one.  I played it in the past, but just now replayed it. 

The Ckit (thanks to James Rand, with Medkits added by you) is much better than either of the other two. 

Plus, it had music.  Not from the original BR games (which I don't know if it is possible to find or rip), but wonderful tunes in a sci-fi mood by Harri Polsa. 

I should check the Reviews section to see if any of my comments from the past made it there about the substance of the mod, itself.  If not, I'll soon go about adding some.

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
Plus, it had music.  Not from the original BR games (which I don't know if it is possible to find or rip), but wonderful tunes in a sci-fi mood by Harri Polsa. 

The game "Buck Rogers - Matrix Cubed" has 3 XMI files: BUCKA.XMI, BUCKB.XMI, and BUCKC.XMI. I wonder if it could be as simple as renaming the files to: ADDQ1.XMI, ADDQ2.XMI, and ADDQ3.XMI?

There must be someone here who knows more about creating music for FRUA than I do. I haven't used Winjammer to modify a MIDI or XMI in years...
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 05:29:43 PM »
The game "Buck Rogers - Matrix Cubed" has 3 XMI files: BUCKA.XMI, BUCKB.XMI, and BUCKC.XMI. I wonder if it could be as simple as renaming the files to: ADDQ1.XMI, ADDQ2.XMI, and ADDQ3.XMI?

That sounds quite possible.  Certainly worth an experiment. 

Ghaaroth ULed a Xmiutils.zip, many years back, that includes an Xmi2mid proggie that might turn those XMIs into Midis, too. 

The real mystery might be why nobody had ever looked into this before... or had they...?  ???

Addendum: 

It's been a long time since I played either of SSI's BR games.  Is my memory failing me, or was the Overture for Matrix Cubed actually the Victory tune also found in FRUA...?  Maybe the other tunes weren't any novelities, either...?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:42:35 PM by hans »

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
That sounds quite possible.  Certainly worth an experiment. 

Hypothesis confirmed. The files BUCKA-C.XMI can be renamed and dropped into a FRUA design. They behave exactly the same as standard DQK1-3.XMI replacements.

The music isn't the same as default FRUA.

I think I'll also post this in the Buck Rogers hub, in the hopes that GoldBoxFan will add them to his BR-UA world hack.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:45:09 PM »
These are great, Nol!  Thanks! 

They sure took me back...   :D 

Their size kinda took me aback, tho, --at least, the first two XMIs.  I'da thought they'd be too big.  Most of the ones I've created are under 9kb.  But in my short demo-dungeon play of all the tunes, I encountered no problems with these.  In fact, hearing how they sounded, I'm also surprised that they took as much size as they did...   ??? 

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 05:09:16 PM »
I just uploaded br-ua with the xmi files, though I forgot to mention it was version 1.05. Have to see if it gets changed.  ???

anything