Author Topic: "official" request for semi-permanent placement of graphics  (Read 1022 times)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
"official" request for semi-permanent placement of graphics
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:32:11 PM »
this is the official request for what is described as sprites that you can place that don't disappear at end of event that shows it. Not sure what to call it, but the desired effect would be to have a graphic that has transparancy and can be placed on the screen until removed (most likely as 3D view or overland, but could include frame for dragonlance moons for example).

such use includes showing a graphic of a sword or chest that is dropped in front of party, a movable piece of the environment such as a statue that the party has moved, or movement of an enemy army on overland

ST

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: "official" request for semi-permanent placement of graphics
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 03:11:55 AM »
That is a great idea, i always wanted to have pictures of chacaters moving around like Dynonikos have in his games, and things too like shelves, tables ect that can be searched. Then i know where i cal look at, search, do some magic, use skill ect :) It would be nice to have an option to put it in module really without doing to much work.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 05:28:28 PM »
this is the official request for what is described as sprites that you can place that don't disappear at end of event that shows it. Not sure what to call it, but the desired effect would be to have a graphic that has transparancy and can be placed on the screen until removed (most likely as 3D view or overland, but could include frame for dragonlance moons for example).

such use includes showing a graphic of a sword or chest that is dropped in front of party, a movable piece of the environment such as a statue that the party has moved, or movement of an enemy army on overland

ST

We do have a Features Rewuest thread. ;)

You can do this type of thing right now, by swapping walls or backdrops. See my tutroial on this and there are at least two threads about this in the forums. Plus you can ask for help from Dinonykos and myself if you run into problems.
This way, it's permanent until you remove it. You can easily have a Treasure Event chained to a Yes/No question Event, or probably even better, have the Yes/No event and if they say "yes", just give the item to the active PC. In the "yes" chain would be an event to remove the wall (or overlay or whatever).

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 02:35:18 AM »
Interesting. Thanks for explanation i will have to try it. Btw maybe that Request thread sould make sticky :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:01:24 AM »
You can do this type of thing right now, by swapping walls or backdrops. See my tutroial on this and there are at least two threads about this in the forums. Plus you can ask for help from Dinonykos and myself if you run into problems.
This way, it's permanent until you remove it. You can easily have a Treasure Event chained to a Yes/No question Event, or probably even better, have the Yes/No event and if they say "yes", just give the item to the active PC. In the "yes" chain would be an event to remove the wall (or overlay or whatever).

That's true, and using walls for this is even better since you automatically can see the object from nearby and far away, but I would still support the request for a "permanent sprite" option - doing it with logic blocks and walls is quite complicated.
I misunderstood the idea earlier that way that ST wanted to have a permanent but removable sprite that could appear ANYWHERE on screen. This could be used for funny effects...  :)

Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE