Author Topic: Healing Between Battles  (Read 638 times)

Offline Ray

Healing Between Battles
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:34:03 PM »

I played through Lanterna, and had a favorable reaction.

I encountered just about everything that Olivier listed in his thread, but also another thing:

My group got beaten to a pulp in a battle.  When the battle ended, I tried to cast some healing magic to get my hit points back, but I couldn't figure out how.

Is it possible to heal (or cast any spell) when you're not in combat?

Offline slowdive

Re: Healing Between Battles
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »
Not yet, but it is on the short list of tasks that need to happen around beta release time.

Here is the current task list:

http://www.iceblinkengine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=296
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:16:19 PM by slowdive »

Offline youngneil1

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
Yep, it's currently the feature that might advance as next into the prior or during beta phase (just a suggestion though as everything on that list pending Jer's final say). Here it goes (including potentially much more than spellcasting):

• Feature, Engine, 0027, related entry: 0036, 0133 and 0134 :functionality for casting spells as well as using traits and skills outside of combat, i.e on adventure map. Might also encompass using items (though this works already via inventory screen). Probably also give spells, traits, skills and item an additional property UsableInSituation which opens list with: OnlyInCombat, OnlyOufOfCombat, Always or Never. Maybe you don't need "never" though. Edit - some more refined ideas:
    I. Party search button: turn the mouse cursor into a target selector for objects or squares themselves with distance 1 to the party or on the party square itself; this will reveal any hidden information from target, sometimes only after a successful skill check; all characters in the party would get a roll on the skill check here; skill could be just perception, but also others like lore, etc. Tis potentially costs ingame time / SP / endurance (Red Carnival) / etc.
    II. Leader command buttons: the leader command buttons 1 to 4, after a second selection of the respective skill, spell, item or trait in a separate window - turn the mouse cursor into a target selector for the command selected; the command is always executed by the currently selected party leader; a further left click on anything on the map will use the command on the clicked target; likely only usable on target with distance no more than 1 to the party, where a click on the party itself would mean the square the party is in; a click on a party member portrait will make this character the target; when more than one object is in a square, a menu will ask which object to target;
    1. Use Skill (note: all search related skills would also be used via party search command above; one could also call them from here, saving the time/SP/other cost of the party search command, but having to choose the one single character and wanted skill here obviously lowers chances of success)
    2. Cast Spell
    3. Use Item
    4. Use Trait
    III. Free parser action: Just opens a menu where you can enter free text; this will always refer to the square the party is standing on; enables to have secrets and very complex, hidden riddles: e.g. perhaps muttering a phrase in front of a strange hole in the wall will cause somebody on the other side to open a secret door; Module authors could place scripts via triggers on squares that wait for the correct parser phrase on their square and then do something; the phrases might also be unusual action descriptions ("like press left emerald eye") and similar text adventure like stuff
    State ("not started" or "begun" or "finished"): _not started_ Estimated hours needed: _ _ Hours already invested: _ _ Teammember in charge: _JER_

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »

Nice!

Thanks for the quick reply, guys!

anything