Author Topic: IceBlink Tilemapper  (Read 910 times)

Offline slowdive

IceBlink Tilemapper
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »
From the IceBlink Forums:

"I put together a simple tilemap maker for those who want to quickly create maps. Tiles are just 64x64 .png files that are placed in one of the following folders: terrain, walls, nature, or props. Once you create a tile (I used GIMP to make the ones included), just place it in one of those folders and it will automatically show up in the mapper upon starting the program. Use the arrow keys to rotate and flip tiles before placing them. There are 5 layers to work with and when you save the map, all five layers are saved as separate files plus a single jpg with combined layers. You can open the layers in GIMP for further editing if you want. Oh and hit the Escape key to stop placing or deselect a tile.

Another key feature is the "Snap To Grid" button. It allows you to place tiles based on the 64x64 grid or place tiles/props based on pixel location."

Later post:

"I made some updates to the IceBlink Tilemap Maker:
-(toggle erase button) can erase square(s) of currently selected layer (hit escape to exit erasing)
-(toggle grid button) turn grid on/off (make sure to turn off before saving file)
-tiles can be any size
-fixed slow "fill map with selected tile" issue on larger maps"

http://www.iceblinkengine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=279#p2189

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: IceBlink Tilemapper
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:16:09 AM »
Wow that looks good. Thanks for the link i will download and try it :)

Offline JonnieR

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:27 PM »
Just as an aside what are the graphic requirements for portraits, icons, etc. I have not noticed very much art work for Iceblink and I was wondering if some of the existing art work for other games could work for the IceBlink.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:11:48 AM »
Just as an aside what are the graphic requirements for portraits, icons, etc. I have not noticed very much art work for Iceblink and I was wondering if some of the existing art work for other games could work for the IceBlink.

The engine uses .png files for portraits and icons. Standard size is 64 x 64 pixels for sprites, although these can be enlarged, 128 x 64, or 128 x 128. Kind of like the "multi-box" monster icons of the Gold Box games.

Dialogue portraits are 110 x 170 pixels. There is also a setting for Narration style "big picture" images, which are 400 x 200.

In the tilemap maker, the squares are 64 x 64 and accordingly, most terrain and nature prop files conform to this. The saved map is in .jpg format and this is used for the area maps in the game. Typically 1024 x 1024 pixels for a 16 x 16 square grid. But this can be customized.

Using artwork from other games or RPG sources is one of the things I was drawn to the IceBlink engine, gives the author a lot of creative flexibilty.

Hope that helps!
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline slowdive

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »

Just to add to Dorateen's response, I choose 110x170 for portraits because that was the size used in IE games and there is tons of content out there to use (like here http://portraitcity.blackwyrmlair.net). Maps are just .jpg files so you can hand draw them, use a tilemapper, render 3d to 2d and touch up (like IE did), or whatever. Maps and tokens need to follow the "powers of 2" rule [x and y dimensions must be a power of 2, but not necessarily a square (x does not need to equal y)].

anything