Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 1251 times)

Offline slowdive

Introductions
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »
I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself (and for other previous IB community to do the same) to the FRUA and DC members so you can get a feel from where I coming from, my experiences, and my influences.

This is a reprint from the IB forums:
My history is very similar to many of yours. My brother and I bought the AD&D books back in 1985 or 1986 (I was 13 and my brother was 15). He was the creative one and as such was the DM (and an awesome one too). We had a couple of neighborhood kids play regularly during that summer. Over the next few years we played mostly D&D, but also Top Secret and Star Frontiers. It became difficult to find people to play with and eventually I bought a commodore 128 (only used the 64 mode mostly) and discovered cRPGs. This became my only way to play D&D type games. I first played Bardís Tale (1-3) and then later played the Gold Box games once they came out. I remember when Baldurís Gate came out thinking that it looked like a video game not a turn based game like I was used to with the Gold Box games and such. I eventually tried the demo version and fell in love with the system. I spent the next few years playing all the Infinity Engine (IE) games over and over. Once NWN came out, I bought it but quickly figured out that it was not really party based (no control over companions) so I gave up on it and went back to the IE games. Later when NWN2 was announced and it was party based, I started planning to create my own modules for it. From the pre-order on, I spent the next six years creating adventures for NWN2. I played a little multi-player NWN2 off and on with a small group called The Tavern of Hidden Tales and enjoyed it immensely. I do miss the days of playing PnP with my brother, when story was everything and graphics didnít exist (we used our imagination).

With your help, I'm sure this project will be an enjoyable one and hopefully a unique and memorable experience for all.

-Jeremy

Offline youngneil1

Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »
From my little introduction at the original IB forum:

On the Kickstarter for IB I posted just under my first name Karl (Friedrich), while the alias I usually use when modding or doing game related stuff is youngneil1.

I have been playing Pen&Paper since being 11 years old (gosh, must have been something like 1986 when I opened the red Dungeons&Dragons box with Elminster Art and Gary Gygax desgin, still remember me sitting on a used and rather itchy couch in my parents old house, spreading its contents on a low wooden table and wondering about those dice that were supposed to be painted with some wax, if my memory doesn't play tricks on me) and continue to do some 25 years later up until today, though I must admit it has become much less due to work and social obligations.

I ain't no artist or programmer (well ok, a little perhaps by now) and my prime motivation is desigining plot, dialogue, ecounters/rewards and game mechanis, i.e. the stuff I love doing as a PnP Dungeon Master .

That being said, I did have my adventures in the modding world, including the WorldMerge Mod for Two Worlds 2 (adding some 150+ encounters, a new long quest line, and bringing in the content from the multiplayer game part as well as the expansion into one cohesive game world, learned a lot on hex editing in the process and worked in the end on quite a base portion of the C source code (felt like brain surgery with a spoon, hehe), many thanks to developer Reality Pump for their support in that time, you can find a few thousands of my confused posts over there at insidetwoworlds.com). Another noteworthy endeavour would probably be the HeartCore/YSA Mod for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - it was a project for re-balancing the really balance-wise messed up (and otherwise in many aspects great) game by using the programm Cheat Engine (so it were operations on assembler code in real time memory, lots of puzzle work). Well, we all know how sadly that baseball player's adventures in the game industry ended, but the mod project was fun while it lasted.

What I hope to achieve with Bree Arts (Tamara and Jermey/Slowdive) and the community here is to find a way of creatively expressing that PnP feel in out-of-the-box RPG adventures, ideally even walking new ways by freeing oneself from many conventions I unconsciously took for granted in cRPG gaming that mostly have to do with adherence to a very limiting way of graphically experiencing the game world. I would like to surpise and amaze players again (and alienate a large portion of them at the same time, no doubt about that ;-)).

HelloWorld says youngneil1!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:54:19 PM »
Awesome :) I am glad that you guys are doing good. Thanks for being here, and this place is good as it can be. Hope to see more of the good things from your team.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:58:36 AM »
Welcome onboard, Jeremy and Karl!

I spent the next six years creating adventures for NWN2.

Did you upload any of them for others to play?

Offline slowdive

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:36:21 AM »
Welcome onboard, Jeremy and Karl!

I spent the next six years creating adventures for NWN2.

Yup, here is a link to the list of my submissions to The Vault:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=78052

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »

Yup, here is a link to the list of my submissions to The Vault:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=78052

Cool, thanks! I can't run NWN2 smoothly at the moment, but hopefully that will change later this year. And I see you also created modules for NWN, so maybe I'll check out those some time. We've had quite a few NWN authors among our ranks here, too.  :)