Author Topic: X-Men 1: Dark Phoenix  (Read 818 times)

Offline hans

X-Men 1: Dark Phoenix
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »
I've been replaying Nol Drek's X-Men 1: Dark Phoenix (Xmen1.zip) using a pre-made party I created for my own upcoming Marvel Universe design.  I'm doing this to get a better understanding of SHUA combat balance.  Since combat is my goal, I chose the foolhardy option of a blatant frontal attack on Frost Enterprises.  I got more than I bargained for, however, and, I think, more than Nol intended, as well... 

In a couple of fights, instead of facing Mercenaries, I came up against multiple Jack-O-Lanterns.  The fights occurred in Dungeon 5 at Col. 10, Row 4, and Col. 9, Row 1.  Were these intentional, or mistakes that have gone unnoticed until now because nobody has been suicidal enough to chose the more dangerous approach to that enemy stronghold?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: X-Men 1: Dark Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
The Jack-O-Lanterns were intentional, and are over-the-top in terms of their firepower. The researchers at Frost Enterprises have developed some advanced weapons, as seen in this panel from X-Men #131, where a Hellfire Soldier has a weapon that "packs the firepower of a full rifle company".

http://gentlemenofleisure1.blogspot.com/2011/10/x-amining-x-men-131.html

The combats are optional, and I wanted to discourage players from attempting the frontal assault approach. You can certainly change the Jack-O-Lanterns into Mercenaries or Armored Goons if you'd like the combats to be easier.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »
The Jack-O-Lanterns were intentional, and are over-the-top in terms of their firepower. The researchers at Frost Enterprises have developed some advanced weapons, as seen in this panel from X-Men #131, where a Hellfire Soldier has a weapon that "packs the firepower of a full rifle company".

http://gentlemenofleisure1.blogspot.com/2011/10/x-amining-x-men-131.html

The combats are optional, and I wanted to discourage players from attempting the frontal assault approach. You can certainly change the Jack-O-Lanterns into Mercenaries or Armored Goons if you'd like the combats to be easier.

They were a challenge, but my group beat 'em (after a couple of tries in both spots).  It took some strategy, and maybe a bit of luck.  I'm glad those combats were available, as they were the only ones where some, or all, of my PCs died, outside of the unwinnable Dark Phoenix fight. 

I was worried that my group might be overly-powerful.  Your pre-made party were only 5 PCs, using 72 Power Points worth of items (regular price).  I used a 6 member party, but kept to the same 72pp limit (for an average of 12pp a PC). 

I was thinking of Jack-O-Lantern as of the singular Spider-Man villain variety (hence my belief that it might be a mistake to face multiples), but then, there have been at least five different Jack-O-Lanterns in the Marvel Universe, and I can see how the ubiquitous, long-lived, Halloween image might certainly appeal to the Hellfire Club's sense of style.

Thanks, Nol!  It was fun to replay the design.  I hope you do another SHUA mod, one of these days...   ;D

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
I was thinking of Jack-O-Lantern as of the singular Spider-Man villain variety (hence my belief that it might be a mistake to face multiples), but then, there have been at least five different Jack-O-Lanterns in the Marvel Universe, and I can see how the ubiquitous, long-lived, Halloween image might certainly appeal to the Hellfire Club's sense of style.

It is confusing to have multiple copies of a Spider-Man villain show up as minions in a X-Men module. If I was doing this module over, I would duplicate the Mercenary and modify it to create a new Villain that throws Energy Bombs.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

anything