Poll

Whether playing CRPGs or pencil and paper, which gaming system do you prefer?

AD&D (1st Ed)
2 (11.1%)
2E D&D
12 (66.7%)
3E D&D
0 (0%)
3.5E D&D
1 (5.6%)
4E D&D
0 (0%)
Pathfinder
2 (11.1%)
None of the above (please clarify)
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Which (D&D) gaming system do you prefer  (Read 3831 times)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Which (D&D) gaming system do you prefer
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 07:40:22 AM »

AC problem is totaly not worth mentioning if you play on table top and know how it goes...details like speed factor of weapons (counting initiative for every weapon in fight can be hard)... But if you go fast and easy with 2e then it can be really cool.

This (after a little editing ;) ). I don't know how you handled "fast and easy" but when the players option books came out it made 5 classes of speed (very fast, fast, average, slow, and very slow) for dealing with initiative which made for A LOT faster determination of who goes when. In fact, players option was one of the best things for 2nd edition but also IMHO was the cause of re-writing for 3rd edition. Customization of characters (handbook of thieves or wizards; for example) is the other strongpoint... but it has to have 2 key elements or you destroy your campaign. Balance, as in not to powerful a character type; and making sense somehow in the campaign. Let me give you an example: necromancers are looked at as kind of an evil character type. So, rather than limit players to not use them, or not use when a paladin is in the party, have players travel to an exotic land where the society has been war-torn by fighting for thier very survival against undead. You have story for why, launchpoint for many adventures, and greatful players.

...ignore them as you always can make exceptions to the rule if needed.

This becomes necessary as well, sometimes as a temporary "move the story along" deal or just edit out things you don't want to use. Story, moreso than rules...

ST

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Re: Which (D&D) gaming system do you prefer
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
I was wondering if the SSI computer assistants Dungeon Masters Assistant: Vol. 1 and 2 helped with that. Unfortunately they only do encounters, treasure and character creation. I found them at:

http://knights-n-knaves.com/

I quit playing live role-playing once computers took over all the adjustments for me. Though I have played Icewind Dale 1 & 2, NWN 1 & 2 and Baldur's Gate online with other people through the internet.