Author Topic: SSI Gold-Box License  (Read 4151 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: SSI Gold-Box License
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »
It might not be that hard to separate it.  Updating the engine to be somewhat compatible with 3.5e and utilizing the OGL is really all that would have to be done.  According to the Open Gaming License, the system for 3.5 can be used (which is why you have so many retro-clones, Pathfinder RPG, Knights of the Chalice, Chaos Chronicles, etc), but none of the copyrighted materials (that would be NPCs, worlds, specific monsters like the Beholder, etc).

Or, if one had the source code, putting a different system around the engine could be done (or if it was going to be rebuilt from scratch).  So, not totally impossible.  But, whether or not it would be worth it would be another story.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 03:19:08 AM »
I don't really see why a company should try to do anything with UA's source code except for re-releasing the original. If they wanted to make a modern UA, wouldn't it make more sense to start from scratch, using a different OS than DOS and disregarding any issues concerning the D&D license? That would be essentially what the DC team is doing, only on a commercial level.

As for re-releasing the old SSI games, interestingly the Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate are published by Hasbro itself on GOG.com, not by Interplay or whoever owned the rights to them before. There's probably no way to publish anything D&D without Hasbro's involvement, so if Ubisoft owns the rights to the old SSI titles, they might have to sell them to Hasbro or find some other agreement before a re-release is possible?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 07:22:50 AM »
I don't really see why a company should try to do anything with UA's source code except for re-releasing the original. If they wanted to make a modern UA, wouldn't it make more sense to start from scratch, using a different OS than DOS and disregarding any issues concerning the D&D license? That would be essentially what the DC team is doing, only on a commercial level.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that they re-release UA.  I only mentioned the source code because if they have it, it would be awesome if someone could buy it from them and get permission to alter the program.  Or, maybe someone might suggest that they release the game as freeware.  Something like that.

Online Milos Gulan

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 07:56:12 AM »
That would be cool :) but DC is good enough for me :) i never could imagined anything better before :D maybe it could be even better but :) i cant ask for perfection ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVl_35tzUqM

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »
I don't think anyone was suggesting that they re-release UA.

Well, *I* did, because that would be totally awesome.  ;)

What I understood from what you wrote was that you meant that another company could try to profit of the turn-based retro hype and cash in on UA by selling a revamped or modernized version of UA, but it seems I just read things into your comments that weren't really there. So you mean more like a private person (e.g. of the UA or the Open Source community) buying the code and altering it just for fun and the benefit of the people who still use it?

Or, maybe someone might suggest that they release the game as freeware.  Something like that.

Oh, okay. Yeah, that would be even more awesome, but very unlikey, I think.  :(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:06:23 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »

Well, *I* did, because that would be totally awesome.  ;)

Can't argue with that.

What I understood from what you wrote was that you meant that another company could try to profit of the turn-based retro hype and cash in on UA by selling a revamped or modernized version of UA, but it seems I just read things into your comments that weren't really there. So you mean more like a private person (e.g. of the UA or the Open Source community) buying the code and altering it just for fun and the benefit of the people who still use it?

Well, I initially just wanted to know who owned the engine.  A lot of questions followed, and I probably didn't phrase things in the way I wanted; because, I wasn't expecting a quiz.  But, to answer your question...yes, I was wondering if a private person or the community would be able to buy the rights to alter the source code.  I don't know that Ubisoft really cares about a program that most people lost track of 20 years ago.  There's a lot of us here, but compared to the world, we're a drop on top of a drop in the bucket.

Or, if a company had the option to release it as freeware, that would also be awesome, as it would likely increase our numbers here.

I'm just talking, mind you.  I have no specific plans to contact Ubisoft or anything.  I wouldn't even know the best way to go about it.  And, when I started this conversation, I didn't even know who owned the rights, anyway.

Online Milos Gulan

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »
Hm yea, FRUA could be renewed, and added new options maybe like new hacks ect like those oriental adventures, planescape ect. I would like to see it as a freeware too. I am just happy that it is still here and would like to see it only improved, though i am not into details yet :) but i doubt anyone could do something really better then DC with FRUA, though i might be wrong, still if that could be done then i would like to see it in HQ graphics, lots of options, game variants (campaign settings) ect :D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
By a strange coincidence, I found a thread on the Internet about this exact same subject (more or less).   I wasn't even searching for anything.

You can find it here:  http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/ip-experts-what-are-the-legal-barriers-to-releasing-ssis-ad-d-games-on-gog-if-any.78397/

Online Milos Gulan

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 12:55:50 AM »
I think most of the older Ad&d games are just forgotten, except lately Baldur's Gate which is actualy very good but still looks old in comparison to the new games. I guess FRUA would look even older, but the best thing about FRUA is it being so versatile and changable and that is why i like it so much, and having pics ect. Just for a comparison DC look very good and modern and for me it is much better for Ad&d game designing then any other game i have seen including Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter type of games. If that type of engine could be renewed and modernized i think it might have a bright future for the RP games. 

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 07:16:36 AM »
I think most of the older Ad&d games are just forgotten, except lately Baldur's Gate which is actualy very good but still looks old in comparison to the new games. I guess FRUA would look even older, but the best thing about FRUA is it being so versatile and changable and that is why i like it so much, and having pics ect. Just for a comparison DC look very good and modern and for me it is much better for Ad&d game designing then any other game i have seen including Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter type of games. If that type of engine could be renewed and modernized i think it might have a bright future for the RP games.

Can you explain to me why every discussion about FRUA on the FRUA boards has an interjection by you about how DC is so much better?  You are welcome to your opinion, but a lot of us a big fans of FRUA.  If you are a fan of DC, that's fine, but every conversation we have does not need a comment from you about how much you have fallen in love with it.  No offense to you; because I'm sure you're a good person and you mean well, but you need to stop doing this.

Before you post, you need to consider if you are being relevant to the topic.  If your response is anything along the lines of "yes, but DC is so much better and perfect," please save it for the Dungeon Craft boards.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:17:38 AM by ProphetSword »

Online Milos Gulan

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
Ok :) i will try to be more careful from now on.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 05:37:37 AM »
DC will be easier to work with, when it is done. DC is open-ended in the number of classes and races, Hogwarts Hack is a shining example of that being useful.
It is basically an updated version of FRUA, hence there is no need for arguments over FRUA v DC.

Gold Box v3.5 as your own work:
You won't be able to use their worlds without their permission. If they don't give permission, at the least you will have to rewrite the storyline so it is set in a world of your own creation.
Same story with the artwork, Gold Box v3.5 will require a ton of it. Early 1990s artwork just won't be good enough, even if you could legally use it.

Gold Box v3.5 as a mod for another game:
Gold Box games may already exist as mods for Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2. (I am not aware of there being such mods for Baldurs Gate 2).
GB games could be made as mods for Icewind Dale 2, but it is notoriously difficult to mod. (I tried to add finishing touches to the Icewind Gate 2 mod, it was slow going.)
Temple of Elemental Evil has some modding, Keep on the Borderlands for starters, see the Circle of Eight forum for details.

D&D games that have 3D view for exploration and overhead view for combat have not been made since FRUA, AFAIK.
Icewind Dale 2 and Neverwinter Nights 1 are v3 not v3.5 of course.
Icewind Gate 2 mod, plays the Baldurs Gate 2 game files on the IWD2 game engine, Delta version is mostly playable.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 06:59:35 AM »
DC again?  I think FRUA is still better than DC in several ways.

Something I've pondered while reading this thread is whether marketing a game editor is profitable for a software company.  If you're in the business of selling games, why build something that would add free games as competition?  FRUA was released at the end of the run of Gold Box games, and I suspect the timing was intentional.  I wonder how successful it was financially, compared to the individual games, but I'm not sure how to check.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »
SSI tax returns would be the place to start though they might be private...
Apart from that there is only hearsay.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »
I think that the sales for Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 would probably prove that there is money to be made while including an editor.