Author Topic: Need help rezzing my chars in Keep on the Borderlands  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Grave77digegr

Need help rezzing my chars in Keep on the Borderlands
« on: May 16, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »
So im playing Ray Dyers Keep on the Borderlands and tempted fate with the green dragon. I now have a dead fighter and ranger. Poison gas will do that I suppose. I went into the keep and there is no temple that can heal or rez. How can I get them back? Will I need to roll new fighters to finish the module?

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Need help rezzing my chars in Keep on the Borderlands
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »
I think i played that module and fought the dragon too, you should probably have saved game from before that encounter. I am not really sure if there is option to resurrect a character in the keep but I guess it is possible. If not making new characters should be good :)

Offline Grave77digegr

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Id like to continue with those same players if at all possbile. I recreated the players from my old gaming group and want to keep playing them. Im assuming once I leave the keep on the borderlands module I may find a temple with raise dead. I tried leaving the module to go the overland map and I am not able.

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »

Hey, Grave77digegr,

Thanks for trying out Keep on the Borderlands!  There are very, very few clerics in The Realm that can cast raise dead.  So few that I can't suggest one off the top of my head, in fact.  I'm not 100% sure that there is one that's easy to reach.  Part of that stems from that fact that the Realm was primarily designed for folks in my D&D pen & paper campaign, back in the day.  In the games I run, raise dead is a 9th-level spell, and there is no resurrection.  Of course, I didn't have access to changing the level of spells when I first created the Realm hack, so it's "technically" still a 5th-level spell for player characters, just like in all other FRUA games.

Anyway, that's the long-winded explanation of WHY it's so hard to find folks to raise your characters from the dead.  You're effectively looking for 18th-level priests.

In pen and paper, it's led to some great fun.  The campaign I was starting when The Realm was gearing up in the late 90s is just about to end after close to 15 years.  Only two members of the original party are still around, but there are three priests now who are high enough level to cast raise dead!   :P

Offline Grave77digegr

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »
Thanks so much for the response. Ive thoroughly enjoyed (except mapping...) the 4 modules I have played. The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh made me feel like a kid again finding the dead alchemist lab. Journey to the Rock frustrated me to the point I started mapping in gimp. I never played Keep on the Borderlands before this but it seems a large module with a lot to do. I may try exporting the 2 dead guys along with my cleric into another module to find a rez (yay a side quest!?) then try to import them back again. I juts have to find a module that will work. Thanks again for the response and AWESOME AWESOME job on the modules. Nothing really compares to the simplicity of allowing your mind to imagine.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »

Thanks, so much!

If you want to resurrect your dead folks, I'd actually recommend going into the editor and changing the maximum level allowed at the temple in the Keep.  Unless you cut the prices, too, you'll still have a side-quest trying to save up enough cash to pay for the prayer!   :D

I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying it.  Keep on the Borderlands is a massive adventure...I'm always amazed at how many people recall playing through the whole thing when they were younger.  I'm like, how did you find the TIME???   ;D

Offline Grave77digegr

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »
I fumbled through the editor and now the Keep on the Borderlands has a very high level cleric aiding the cause. Thanks!

Offline Ray

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 07:22:59 AM »

LOL!

Awesome!   :D

Offline Grave77digegr

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »
and it only cost 500 plat to raise dead and thanks to the sinister secret of saltmarsh im loaded with gold.

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 12:02:02 AM »
The fact that you have a hard time raising a dead character and the fact that there are so few places to rest in a lot of the Realm campaigns is a thorn in my side.  Just the other day loast about an hour because I couldn't rest and a few characters died.  One of those places where you automatically take damage and I had low hit points and no healing spells and no place to rest - even after taking out the band of monsters.  I was playing the Catacombs of the old one I think...  In any case thanks Ray for hours of enjoyment playing through your mods!

FBN66 - Jeff

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »
I think the old standby is load the save previous to the one you died, remove all the characters, load the save after you died, drop the dead characters (don't remove them), then reload the characters you dropped. Some gold box games require a bit of finesse as they apparently keep track of who is removed. Don't know about FRUA as I am more likely to edit than try remove.

I suggest going back and forth between two saves for this to work. You must also quit and then restart.  ;)

Offline Ray

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »

Good to hear from you, FBN!   :D

I'm eternally bummed that FRUA was never hacked to allow a larger variety of character classes.  The pen & paper game I run has about sixty of them culled from sources from Unearthed Arcana to Dragon Magazine to d20 sources like Pathfinder and Swashbuckling Adventures to homebrew, so playing FRUA has always been a little restricting. 

That said, it's probably a good thing for the popularity of Realm designs that I *couldn't* make all the changes that I wanted to back in the day.  Things like making raise dead a 9th-level spell would have brought no end of spite my way from the FRUA internet community, which I've only recently learned is wider than our little group in the newsgroup and forums...

This reminds me of all those times that I watched an interview with the director of an awesome movie, only to hear him say, "I really wanted it to end this way," and think, That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  Thank God he didn't get to do it his way!!!   ;D

The fact that you have a hard time raising a dead character and the fact that there are so few places to rest in a lot of the Realm campaigns is a thorn in my side.  Just the other day loast about an hour because I couldn't rest and a few characters died.  One of those places where you automatically take damage and I had low hit points and no healing spells and no place to rest - even after taking out the band of monsters.  I was playing the Catacombs of the old one I think...  In any case thanks Ray for hours of enjoyment playing through your mods!

FBN66 - Jeff

anything