Poll

In a hack switching OAUA's culture from predominately Japanese over to Chinese, in what language would you prefer most names?

Mostly original Chinese
4 (50%)
Mostly English equivalents
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: March 20, 2013, 06:50:43 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Chinese or English names for an OAUA hack?  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: POLL: Chinese or English names for an OAUA hack?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
Now that sounds good and I didn't know it :) thanks. Though I have read many stories and comics about Conan :) I also didn't know that about Jack Vance and DD magic. I was looking on Wiki but I couldn't find anything :) now I am really curious to know how it all started and more about it all :) I was lately thinking about magic for DD, though I like most of it i would also change some :) still it is mostly good having in mind that it was done before 30+ years

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 07:32:39 PM »
Some people were asking about the origin of the word Wu-Jen...  essentially the authors of OA were using the Wade-Giles spelling for the few Chinese words they used - in pinyin it would be Wuren, which is closer to the actual pronunciation of the word (but it depends on the Chinese speaker you are using).  I think in characters the word is:
巫人
...which could mean something like "wizard man" or something like that.  I am not sure where they got that word from, though...

Anyway, regarding terminology - to be fair, one-syllable words like "dao" are rather vague and could refer to various things, I think - "dao" as an example could refer to a little knife, a big sword, or even a big chopper-type sword on a pole.  Instead, you probably want more specificity, like:

Niuweidao - "Ox Tail Dao" (the typical "Chinese dao" seen in movies)
Liuyedao - "Willow Leaf Dao" (a thinner dao, somewhat more like a Japanese katana)
Wodao - "Japanese Dao" (katana or nodachi)

Also, trivia of the day: in Chinese, the defining characteristic of "dao" and "jian" are the number of edges they have (i.e. 1 or 2), which is quite a unique way of looking at bladed weapons.  Japan, like most cultures, did not have a similar idea, so they had to make up words when importing the Chinese characters.  "Katana" is basically a made up word that is a contraction of "kata + ha" - which means "one edge."
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline hans

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
...Anyway, regarding terminology - to be fair, one-syllable words like "dao" are rather vague and could refer to various things, I think - "dao" as an example could refer to a little knife, a big sword, or even a big chopper-type sword on a pole.  Instead, you probably want more specificity, like:

Niuweidao - "Ox Tail Dao" (the typical "Chinese dao" seen in movies)
Liuyedao - "Willow Leaf Dao" (a thinner dao, somewhat more like a Japanese katana)
Wodao - "Japanese Dao" (katana or nodachi)...

Thanks, Uatu   :) 

I'll be thinking about weapon renames shortly.  Things that I'll have to bear in mind are (1) keeping lengths at or shorter than the originals, (2) trying to make damages & such continue to apply reasonably through the switch, and (3) try to vary the items to include as many important types as possible (the big 18 have been mentioned). 

If there were lots of slots, I'd love to go very specific, but if, when I get into replacing weapons, I find my options quite limited, perhaps I should intentionally keep the names more general.  For example, if I have room for only one type of Dao saber, maybe it would be best just to call it a Dao, which would leave room for authors to call a particular foe's weapon a "willow leaf saber" without contradicting the item's name when it's Combat Treasure time.  Likewise, I might not miss a Wen Jian (scholar sword) if I could sometimes refer to a particular Jian as such.   :-\ 

I'll tackle weapon names soon and post my thoughts on the sister thread on the OA board.  In a little bit, I'll post my tentative lists of replacements for Races and Classes there. 

Feedback is always welcome (as this Poll demonstrates).   ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:07:33 PM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
Well, this two-week Poll has now closed. 

It got 8 votes, which tho we've got over 200 members, is actually only a little less than average for one of these, I think...   :P 

For most of the last couple of weeks, Chinese was running ahead, so I've been thinking and planning along those lines.  I've been posting my ideas over at the sister thread on the OA board: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2286.msg31469#new  Maybe looking at those unfamiliar terms and the logic behind them prompted the last couple of late votes for English...   :P 

So, with the final tally here split evenly, it seems that I'm left the very same choice that I started with...   :P

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »
So, with the final tally here split evenly, it seems that I'm left the very same choice that I started with...   :P

I say to go with your instincts on this one. If you think it would be cool to have a class named "Wuxia" then go for it. If you think it would be better to have a class named "Flying Swordsman" then more power to you.

Just provide the players with a "readme" file that explains what the unusual terms are, and we'll all be fine. Nothing that you come up with will be any more difficult to understand than standard D&D terms such as "Daoud's Wondrous Lanthorn" or "Leomund's Tiny Hut".
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »
Length of names is obviously a consideration, too. It seems that the Chinese names that have been discussed are generally shorter than the English ones. And there is really nothing at all to stop you using a combination of English and Chinese; whatever you think sounds better in each particular instance.

I get the impression you are more keen on Chinese names, so I am happy to withdraw my vote for English, if that helps.