Poll

In a hack switching OAUA's culture from predominately Japanese over to Chinese, in what language would you prefer most names?

Mostly original Chinese
4 (50%)
Mostly English equivalents
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: March 20, 2013, 06:50:43 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Chinese or English names for an OAUA hack?  (Read 4405 times)

Offline hans

POLL: Chinese or English names for an OAUA hack?
« on: March 06, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »
TSR's Oriental Adventures (and, thus, the OAUA Worldhack) are based mostly on Japanese culture and martial arts.  I would like to produce a hack that is mostly Chinese in those respects, which will mostly be a matter of substituting names.  That way, I can write some mods that have more of a flavor of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" or "Five Deadly Venoms" than "Seven Samurai."

I'm rather split, myself, tho, on how much Chinese language I should use.  I could either go full out with Chinese names for all classes and items for the sake of authenticity, or I could just use a little Chinese, and for the rest just go with English equivalents that are more easily understood. 

For example, I could either use the Chinese "jian" or call the same item simply "sword." 

Using a lot of Chinese might cause more than a little confusion, however, as not only would it all be new and foreign to most players, some same spellings will have different meanings, such as "dao" (might mean saber, thief, indicate a polearm weapon, or even be an alternate spelling of tao as in taoism). 

So which would you prefer? 

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: POLL: Chinese or English names for an OAUA hack?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 03:17:39 AM »
I would prefer Chinese originals. I am already familiar with words like Dao, Jian ect though their actual meaning are easy to forget. Thats why I think a good dictionary should go with the World hack so people would be able to see what those words means. Maybe even a good dictionary in the game like some form of library would be nice to have where people who came from other sides (different language groups) should be able to be quickly introduced into the name meanings of the things.

That is my opinion to summ it up for me it is much more interesting to play Shukenja or Samurai or Bushi but to have a good dictionary to quickly see what those words means. I played OA hack and I often had to search trough wiki to see what those words like Sohei means as I really wanted to play my guys and just get into the spirit of the things. Here is my OA party just to see :) http://sagac.weebly.com/company-3.html

So I think OA Japanese needs a good Dictionary book of Japanese terms and the Chinese OA hack too to acompany it in txt file and one in mod file as I picture it for myself a good library with terms that should be in every starting location of adventure.

I would also like to see even chinese or japanese words in their original with explanation how they are used and things like that that could teach me something from real languages. That sure would be useful and interesting for me if presented right and I could maybe go back ans search for it sometimes later if I forget things.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:30:52 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »
You forgot the third option, "Whatever you deem more appropriate for your mod / I don't really care". Or you left that out intentionally, in order to force a decision from the community ...  ;D

I'm probably not familiar with most of the Chinese vocabulary, but I'm always open for widening my horizons if the subject matter - in this case new vocabulary - is integrated in a way that is fun to learn by doing - in this case playing - rather than as an obstacle for the clueless. And I have enough confidence in your skills as a story-teller that I'm sure you'd be able to pull it off. If worst comes to worst and the design is not comprehensible for the uninitiated though, you could always include an easy-to-print glossary.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »
Should you go the Chinese vocabulary route, I would suggest to also include with any glossary a pronunciation guide.

Learning new words or terms in a different language is fun, but when you have no earthly idea how to say them, or worse, mentally ingrain the wrong phonetics in your head, it can be frustrating (or embarrassing).

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »
You forgot the third option, "Whatever you deem more appropriate for your mod / I don't really care". Or you left that out intentionally, in order to force a decision from the community ...  ;D

I seriously considered adding a third option, "Japanese," just to see if there might be any FRUAites who vote without really paying attention.   :P 

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
One Chinese word that I will definately want to use, either way, is "Wuxia."  The term refers to the most popular (by far) type of martial arts hero in Chinese literature. 
http://wuxiapedia.com/About/The-Wuxia-genre/What-is-Wuxia

In OAUA, I believe that the Samurai class has the NPC combat control ability, so I figure to switch this one to Wuxia.

Possibly I might use the alternate form "Wu Xia" to complement "Wu Jen" which I expect to keep untouched.  I've never heard the origin of the term Wu Jen, but it doesn't sound Japanese...     

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »
Cool :D well here is a nice game to look up to Prince of Qin. It is older game probably from time of Baldurs gate and looks like that too except that it is probably historicaly accurate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pllEciymtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cNQKCTvIZI
and a russian version video advancing deeper in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULhdMivm4s

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
Possibly I might use the alternate form "Wu Xia" to complement "Wu Jen" which I expect to keep untouched.  I've never heard the origin of the term Wu Jen, but it doesn't sound Japanese...   

A very similar discussion happened on the Dragonsfoot forums a while ago:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36041&start=45
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »
A very similar discussion happened on the Dragonsfoot forums a while ago:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36041&start=45

Thanks, Nol!  The "wū shn" origin sounds likely.  Variants in Romanization could easily account for the spelling difference (not even considering what pronounciation variations that might exist between our China and an other-dimensional fantasy world).  ::) 

I've always made a mental association between "Jen" and the magical Djinn of the nearer East.   :P 

The discussion of priests a bit further down is of interest to me, as well.  How to convert the Japanese Shukenja & Sohei cleric classes into reasonable Chinese substitutes is something I've been thinking about. 

I'd rather not incorporate too-specific of references to real-world religions into the hack.  "Fǎ shī" (male priest) & "do gū" (female priest) are, as was mentioned there, taoist (plus, there's another dao for the list).  I thought about using an "exorcist" even tho Chinese exorcists, I believe, are also traditionally taoists.  I also thought about a more generic "diviner," as fortune tellers go far back into Chinese history, and in some folklore they display a variety of magical abilities.  And I've also thought about using the much looser term "sage."   :-\ 

Offline hans

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »
Continuing the above, I also briefly considered "Lama," but the term is from Tibetan or Mongolian Buddhism, and, as I say, I don't want to weave a real world religion too blatantly into a fantasy world.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »
It gets confusing with all the foreign names at first, but I do think it adds to the flavor of the mod. On a less far-afield note, the German-ish place names of 'The Sect' added to the Holy-Roman-Empire-ish, dirty-medieval-peasant flavor of 'The Sect'--you can imagine the extras trudging through mud and eating turnips all year.

Though, with my New York background, the German names sounded almost like Yiddish (!), and I kept occasionally wondering when someone was going to offer me a bagel with lox ;)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 04:27:18 AM »
Yeah thinking of it, it might get confusing but I think it all adds to flavor of the mod as long as the things are explained either in the separate file or in the mod itself. For example some fighter is using naginata as his weapon of choice. I probably woul never know what is it if some explanation in the mod isnt provided preferably with pic or dictionary txt file. Here is info and I actualy would like explanation in the game and in dictionary txt file http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naginata

For example those dual butterfly swords or things like that, I am sure there are lots of new things and I would like to have new things presented in a good way for anyone in order to use them in a better way.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 09:35:31 PM »
Though, with my New York background, the German names sounded almost like Yiddish (!), and I kept occasionally wondering when someone was going to offer me a bagel with lox ;)

I would like to play a Yiddish module.

The class names could be:

Shlemiel (Fighter)
Schmuck (Paladin)
Mensch (Ranger)
Rebbe (Cleric)
Klutz (Thief)
Shmendrik (Wizard)

... Charisma would be replaced with Chutzpah ...

... and all the weapons would be renamed as Tchotchkes.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
LOL!   :laughing7:

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
Lol, yeah after second reading, that wiki is a good thing. I have a question though DD ranger is modeled after which ranger, are those forest ranger or well some lawmen or something like that like those Texas rangers. I tried translating this but I am not sure what that word actualy means and I would like to have explanation in a few sentences. Well in my language rangers from Talkien books are translated like foresters (those guys that are today paid to protect forest) but I think maybe better word would be border guards in my language. Now what is the real explanation about rangers and what is the story behind it, I know about knights and well soldiers but not sure about rangers.

anything