Author Topic: Favorite Designs  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Favorite Designs
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:27:59 AM »
What are Your most favorite designs for UA and DC, and why. If not 2 then 3 or more :), i guess that list can be updated.

Mine would be:

1. - Curse of the Red Dragon - This game have few parts that are needed to finish the game, and many other side quests. All is nicely done (not best but good) and even has some history of the region which i have read about in library. Ending is nice and there is a recap of all things done in the quest and what can be done. I guess I could find a better design but somehow this one was cool for me, with a very nice region to explore and complete, though I wish there were a bit more nicer graphics and maybe some originality about the dragon.

2. - AT1: Dark Alliances and AT2: Dark Wizardry - This are how is my idea good adventures should look like, lots of interesting NPCs, interesting story and nice graphic. I guess this might be my 1st place but I havent completed them but I hope i will soon.

3 - Tale of the Twin Dragons (UAOA) Part 1 and 2 - This is like the previous very interesting and with nice graphic, just great.

4 - Touch Of Death - Ravenloft Adventure, Pharaohs story :) very nice, maybe a bit more complicated but I finshed it so that means it wasn't too much, so a nice memory after all as the story was interesting and intense.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:57:17 AM by Rainbower »

Offline bravedogbfg

Re: Favorite Designs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »
The Sect is my favorite FRUA design I have played so far.  I hope Ben J ports it to DC when it is released.

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 06:34:44 PM »
Most any of the Realm or Ray Dyer.  I never played many modules and he brings that experience to me.

FBN66 - Jeff

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:27:25 AM »
That's a tough one, because I've played so many excellent designs. I didn't even manage to do a convincing top 10 list a few years ago, and it's probably outdated by now, but I guess there's one thing that didn't change and that I don't have any doubts about, and that is that Legacy of the Dragon is one of my all-time favorite designs, maybe even my number one. It's not necessarily better than any of the other designs, but it is most dear to me because of its originality. I really hope Keith will release his Deepdelvers design someday.  :)

But it's still hard to pick out just one, as I'm almost equally fond of the designs by hans, Ben J, Darius, Ray, Ben S., Dan C., Astin/Bryan, Steve, Harri etc etc.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:30:15 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »
Thanks :) and It is true, there are many good ones. But also I was thinking of designs that really good, and worthy of playing and that could be recommended, at least some of them.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:49:03 PM »
But also I was thinking of designs that really good, and worthy of playing and that could be recommended, at least some of them.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, that would be these, or at least the majority of them.  ;)

(It's only a fraction of all the designs available for UA, but they are the ones that I played through and enjoyed, with only a few exceptions.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:52:30 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »
The Sect is my favorite FRUA design I have played so far.  I hope Ben J ports it to DC when it is released.

Thank you. :)

Porting the game to DC depends on how difficult it is. Maybe if I have some help... :)

At the moment I'm working on a slightly bug-fixed and spell-checked The Sect 1.1.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »
Thanks again, I saw that before and yeah those are good and I am planing to run trough that, only thing that could be added to this are levels for needed characters, and maybe I will try to do it, I mean It would be nice to have them sorted by levels :).

Anyway great work there :) I guess I will need lots of time to complete all that :D

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 06:32:42 AM »
My top two favorite UA designs would be:

AT1: Dark Alliances by Ben Sanderfer

and

Kill the Heroes of Phlan! by hans.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline carlq

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
Without slighting the many, many great designers here, I'm a die-hard Realm fan - Ray's creations have given me endless hours of pleasure. Favourites from that ouvre are Temple of Elemental Evil (epic, hours of fun and exploration), Journey to the Rock (the first Realm game I ever played, it had just come out when i discovered the Realm and revitalised my love of FRUA) and the man great mini-mods in Game00, Introduction (the moment when I realised Ray was a terrific writer and creator, as well as a talented adapter of existing works).

Carl Q.
"Real life"? That's just for people with no imagination.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »
Agreed, those are very nice ones, I started playing Journey to the rock and it was really cool, but I gave up because I had to finish some other that I have already played. Also I hope i will play Temple of Elemental Evil soon as it seems to be a good adventure.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:20:03 AM »
2. - AT1: Dark Alliances and AT2: Dark Wizardry - This are how is my idea good adventures should look like, lots of interesting NPCs, interesting story and nice graphic. I guess this might be my 1st place but I havent completed them but I hope i will soon.

Thanks for the kind words.  It's nice to know I'm not forgotten.

As for me, the one design that will forever be my favorite and that inspired me was John Rudy's "The Guild," which is what really made me want to step up and write some good modules.  It directly influenced my own module, "Night of the Basilisk," which I had just started work on when I first played it.  So, even though some really good modules have come along, that one will always be at the top of the list for me.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
Yeah :) wish I know how to make a good adventure like that :D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »
Yeah :) wish I know how to make a good adventure like that :D

Anyone can make a good adventure.  If you want some pro-tips (if there is such a thing as a professional FRUA module maker), here's what I did with "AT1: Dark Alliances":

* Take your time - It took me two years to make that module.  Several parts of it were rewritten multiple times.  Some things were cut completely because they didn't work.  Don't rush it.

* Get good play testers - I had a couple of really good play testers for that module who went above and beyond.  Besides reporting bugs, they also told me how they felt the story was flowing, what parts didn't work, what they wanted to see, etc.  Play testers provide fantastic feedback and I rely on them heavily when I'm working on a module.

* Finish the module - This one is important.  I've played many great modules that were half-finished (I've got a couple of those myself, actually).  Nobody will be able to love your adventure if you don't actually complete it.

* Plan it all out, and then prepare to throw it out the window - Some of the best things in adventures come about when we go off the road map we've created for ourselves.  Stick to your overall plan, but feel free to mix up the details, even if it takes you down a road you didn't expect.  If the story is writing itself in a way you didn't expect, don't fight it.

Aside from that, the only other things I feel that module had going for it were:

* Gold-Box Style - Something anyone could easily replicate just by playing them at the same time you're designing (that's what I did).  It's hard for them to not rub off on you.

* Good Art and Hacks - Those take time to assemble and make.  Not all were made by me, so I relied on the talent of the rest of the community. 

* Hype - Something that another Ben in this community knows pretty well (hehe)--it never hurts to hype up your work.  There's nothing wrong with it; because if you don't get people excited about what you're working on, maybe no one will care.  Talk about it.  Show off screenshots.

Final piece of advice:

* Don't concern yourself with what other people think.  Just write the best adventure you can.  If you like it, that's all that matters in the end.

So...can we expect to see some great modules from you in the near future? :)
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 05:28:01 AM »
For sure it is just a matter of time :D and my knowledge of course. Thanks so much for this as I think it was really needed. The fact that it took 2 years to make such a nice adventure was a surprise for me all other things said were very useful too. Btw I have to say that your second part of this saga can't be found on Rosedragon or Ua.reonis anymore. I will ask for some tips in the future too and what I was meaning to ask was how to make such a nice encounters trough town like dwarves who are following You and some guards and just unimportant thins like that that are encounters but not fighting ones :) Beside that story was very nice, and clean with lots of possibilities, also I will have to finish that part 2 and maybe I will try doing it all again just to familiarize with adventure as it really is very good. Curse of the fire dragon is one of those too and though it lacks those fantastic details like in those previous (those little encounters and maybe a bit nicely down town) it still is solid and with story very interesting.

Anyway If I make some day adventures that would be interesting as those I would be very happy for sure :D