Author Topic: STICKY: UA Color Palettes  (Read 2009 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
STICKY: UA Color Palettes
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »
Nol Drek wrote:

The first 16 colors in your DungCom palette should be the default 16 EGA colors.
These are the Always colors, and your DungCom needs to match your Always.
(See row #1 in the image below).

0 0 0
0 0 171
0 171 0
0 171 171
171 0 0
171 0 171
172 87 0
171 171 171
87 87 87
87 87 255
87 255 87
87 255 255
255 87 87
255 87 255
255 255 87
255 255 255

The next 16 colors in your DungCom palette should be shades of grey/brown.
These are the Frame colors and your DungCom needs to match your Frame.
(See row #2 in the image below).

199 191 199
191 175 183
175 159 175
131 131 135
143 143 151
131 135 139
119 107 119
131 119 127
107 111 115
135 107 99
99 99 107
83 83 87
95 95 95
75 83 91
71 67 71
59 55 59

Your DungCom should really only use the colors in the range 32-63.
These are the DungCom colors.
(See row #3-4 in the image below).
I find that 32 is often more than enough colors for a DungCom, hence all the "Hot Pink" palette entries which are left unused.

The colors in the range 64-255 are the Combat Icon palette.
The Combat Icon palette is used shared by all the Combat Icons.
(See row #5-16 in the image below).

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:08:25 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: STICKY: UA Color Palettes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »
hans wrote:

Very good, Nol.   :D  Something like this should be a sticky someplace. 

The first paragraph in an article I once did for the UANL covers much the same info:
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl25/as-hans.htm 
I then go on to describe ways to turn these limitations into unusual fx. 

TOOLBOX's "palette sort" option should not be used for Combat Icons, Combat Dungeons, or Wildernesses.   

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:03:20 PM »
Reprint of the article mentioned above:

SPECIAL EFFECTS NOTES
on "Greyscaling" & "Colorizing" Wilds: Written by hans (dhanson111@aol.com)

Note from hans:  Here's some important info about how to make & use Wildernesses or Combat Dungeons that turn Combat Icons into all-grey or shades of a single color (like blue). [The file, "W_Death.pcx", mentioned in the article can be downloaded by clicking here! -- the Eds.] 

THE BASIC FACT you need to know about a COMBAT ICON'S COLOR PALETTE:

Combat icons do not carry their own color palettes into UA.  The palette information for combat icons, when seen inside of UA, is entirely determined by the Combat Dungeon and Wilderness art.   That is, the color settings info for what we normally call the Combat Icons Palette (colors 64-255) is stored in each and every Combat Dungeon and Wilderness.   What we call the Combat Dungeon or Wilderness palette (colors 32-63) is regularly changed from Dungeon to Dungeon, Wild to Wild, but the color slots beyond those (64-255) are normally kept at identical values:  This ensures that Combat Icons maintain the same appearance in each different Dungeon and Wild, --for, if you change those values in a Combat Dungeon or Wild, the same change will appear in all Combat Icons which enter it.
For example, slot # 152 in the normal Combat Icons palette is pure red.   If you change the color of slot 152 from red to blue in a Combat Dungeon or Wilderness palette, all Combat Icons using slot 152 will show not red, but blue.   UA only recognizes that a Combat Icon uses slot 152 for whichever pixels, but receives info on the color values to be assigned to slot 152 from the Dungeon or Wild art, and not from the Combat Icons art.
Knowing this, intentional changes to the colors of Combat Icons can be made; --and my "greyscaler" and "colorizer" Wilds do exactly that!

A BIT OF HISTORY:
I first contemplated a "greyscaler" dungeon during a discussion on the old frua-dev mailing list about the possibility of creating an all-grey mod, or UA Noir, as we were calling it.   When Harri Polsa showed interest in actually creating such a design, I began some experiments in creating a Dungeon which would display normal Combat Icons as all-grey.
When I tried using my art program's "greyscale" command on a Dungeon Palette, however, it would reorder the slots according to their luminosity levels.   Such a change made it useless to UA.   Soon, I saw that I had no choice but to perform such a "greyscale" and then laboriously note the RGB values given to the original colors from a Combat Icons Palette and then reassign those shades back to the corresponding palette slots.
This provided me with some success, but there was still a problem in that the "greyscale" routine was giving formerly solid colors, particularly reds, a darker look than necessary.   So, for the new "greyscaler" palette that I've used in W_Death.pcx, I lightened certain greys to achieve a more satisfying blend.

A SHORT-CUT TO MAKE YOUR OWN:
Open my "W_Death.pcx" Wilderness template in your art program.  "Save" its palette.   Now you can open up a normally colored Combat Dungeon or Wilderness, that you want to transform into a "greyscaler" or "colorizer", and use your art program's "Greyscale" command.   Now load the "W_Death" palette, with the "Nearest Color" option chosen.  At this point, you will have a "greyscaler" template.
To go one step further and turn that Dungeon or Wilderness into a "colorizer", click on your art program's "Colorize" command, and choose the "Hue" and "Saturation" that you desire.   Now you have a "colorizer".   You need only hack it into UA, or create a "drop-in" .tlb as you would normally do with any new Dungeon or Wilderness.

W_Death.pcx  --  Wilderness Greyscaler Example height=200

W_SeaBed.pcx  --  Wilderness Colorizer Example height=200
(W-Death.pcx Image with "greyscaled" icon palette)

(W-SeaBed.pcx Image with blue "Colorized" palette)

Note that this process leaves the normal Combat Dungeon or Wilderness palette (colors 32-63) completely free.   You can use these slots any way you like.   For my "W_SeaBed", I used them to color the Wilderness with slightly different shades of blue than the Combat Icons will be changed to, for a bit of contrast.   Much greater contrasts can be achieved, and even color-cyclings can be created.

SUGGESTED USES FOR GREYSCALER & COLORIZER WILDS & DUNGEONS:
"Greyscalers" are probably best suited for use in UA Noir mods, such as Harri Polsa's "Fury", where all the art in a mod is grey.
My feeling is that "Colorizers" are best used in small amounts, for "shock" value.   The effect could get old really fast, and so should be reserved for special, dramatic events in otherwise normally colored mods (as a rule of thumb, anyway)
. In a modern-day, or science-fiction mod, for instance, a Dungeon could be created which colorizes RED to simulate a red-alert inside a ship or military installation.   Color-cycling warning lights which flash yellow and red could even be added to the art.   One or several battles might be fought in the Dungeon, during a tense storyline episode, but the drama of such an event would quickly evaporate if the red-alert were to last indefinitely.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
"Some of the Combat Icons I'm using in your Dungeon still have some of their original colors!"
-- Be aware that many of UA's default Combat Icons use colors outside of the proscribed Combat Icons Palette (colors 64-255).   They dip down into the "Always" colors (the first 16 slots), brazenly.   You need to double check that icons you'll be using with a "Greyscaler" or "Colorizer" adhere to the proper Combat Icons Palette.
 *Combat Sprites*
-- Combat Sprites will be "greyscaled" or "colorized" if they also adhere to the Combat Icons Palette.   ~It is possible to create a set of Combat Sprites which only use, say, the "Always" colors you will be using in a mod.   In this way, you could have splashes of red in an otherwise all green environment whenever a fireball explodes, for instance.
hans. [/td][/tr][/table]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:07:31 PM by ProphetSword »

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »
ANd you can also look at http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1893.0

The UANL version has pictures.  ;)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:09:08 AM »
GoldBoxFan wrote:

One of the biggest problems with making art in FRUA is where to put the colors in the palette. All FRUA templates use 256 colors (numbered 0-255). And most work within a specific color palette. Colors 0-15 are usually filled by default colors that can be used but not changed. Color 255 is always the transparency color. This color does not appear on screen, allowing what is behind it to be visible. Transparency is used by almost anything but smallpics and bigpics. They can use it to. The reason why some color slots are available in some templates and not others is because they are used together.

Always, Frames, Gens and Menus combine with Smallpics and Bigpics (actually they are used with everything). Sprites, Wallsets and Backgrounds are all combined. Combat Icons and Combat Sprites combine with Dungeons or Wildernesses. Titles only appear with titles, but they use the same palette from title 1.

Though templates often tell you just to use certain slots for your colors, they tend to forget to mention you need to add the colors from other templates for them to work together. If dungeons don't have the combat icon slots filled, icons will show up black or whatever default color is in those slots. Remember to combine the palettes of templates that functon together.

Go to CORHUB and look under Miscellaneous Program Hacks if you don't know what I'm referring to in this article. When adding art of any type to FRUA the most common program used is Toolbox.exe.

Always On My Screen

ALWAYS - the movement arrows, target icon, timer and special attribute buttons that appear on screen. The Always template uses all 256 colors, but only slots 0-15 may be changed. The other colors can be used but will change dependant upon what else is onscreen at the time. Always is the only template that can alter slots 0-15, suggesting it may be used by all other templates. Toolbox.exe, however, fills those slots with default colors, making it a moot point if that is what is being used. The default transparent color is html 67f79b.

FRAMES - these two templates are what surround the images, text and buttons that are seen in the game. Frames may use but not change the 0-15 colors from here, but may change colors 16-31. The default transparent color is html 67f79f.

MENU - this template is for the buttons used for questions. Colors 0-15 can be used but not changed from here. Colors 16-31 can be changed. Color 23 is used for the button faces. The default transparent color is html 67f79f.

GEN - the general pattern used with frames and menus. Colors 0-15 come from Always, colors 16-31 come from Frame. The default transparent color is html 67f79f.

Frames and Menu says colors 0-15 can be changed but not where. One assumes from Always. The default color (255) should probably be the same for all.

FONTS

There is no template for fonts, but the colors of the images can be changed by Colors!.zip.

Walking Around

BACKGROUNDS - what fills in the sky or ceiling. Color slots 0-15 can be used but not changed. Colors 144-175 and 255 can be changed and used. The default transparent color is html fc00fc.

SPRITES - images of creatures that move within the wallsets. Color slots 176-255 can be changed and used. The default transparent color is html 67f79f.

WALLSETS - the 3-D imagery of walls, trees, rocks, wells, etc. Color slots 32-68 and 255 can be changed and used. The default transparent color is html 67f79f.

It doesn't appear any of these palettes need to be combined. But the transparent color (255) should probably be the same on all.

Looking Around

SMALLPICS - images 88 x 88 pixels in size. Color slots 32-255 can be changed and used. The default transparent color is html ffff9f or ff57ff.

BIGPICS - images 304 x 120 pixels in size. Color slots 32-255 can be changed and used. The default transparent color is html ffff9f.

TITLES - images 320 x 200 pixels in size. For title 1 color slots 0-255 can be changed. For titles 2-6 color slots 32-255 can be changed and used. The default transparent color is html 00ffc3.

Standing Your Ground

COMBAT ICONS - images 24 x 24, 24 x 48, 48 x 24, 48 x 48 and possibly 68 x 48 pixels in size. Color slots 64-255 can be changed and used. The default transparent color is html 67f79f.

COMBAT SPRITES - images used for casting spells, shooting arrows or dropping dead. Color slots 64-95 are safe. The default transparent color is html 80ff80.

DUNGEONS - indoor combat sets that convert the wallset into a battlefifled. Color slots 32-63 can be changed and used. The default transparent color is html 000000.

WILDERNESSES - outdoor combat sets that are randomly determined each time. Color slots 32-63 can be changed and used. The default transparent color is html 000000.

Dungeons and WIlderness need to have the palette from combat sprites and combat icons included or the icons won't have the proper colors. Combat sprites and combat icons must have the same 64-95 colors.

The First 16 Colors

ALWAYS, GEN and FRAME has slots 0-15 filled by html definitions: 000000, 0000ab, 00ab00, 00abab, ab0000, ab00ab, ab5700, ababab, 575757, 5757ff, 5757ff, 57ff57, 57ffff, ff5757, ffff57 and ffffff.

MENU has slots 0-15 filled by html definitions: 000000, 0000bb, 00bb00, 00bbbb, bb0000, bb00bb, bb6700, bbbbbb, 676767, 6767ff, 6767ff, 67ff67, 67ffff, ff6767, ffff67 and ffffff.

BACKGROUND and COMBAT SPRITES has slots 0-15 filled by html definitions: 000000, 0000a8, 00a800, a80000, 00a8a8, a800a8, a85400, a8a8a8, 545454, 5454fc, 54fc54, 54fcfc, fc5454, fc54fc, fcfc54 and fcfcfc.

WILDERNESS has slots 0-15 filled by html definitions: 000000, 0000a4, 00a400, 00a4a4, a40000, a400a4, a40000, a4a4a4, 505050, 5050f8, 50f850, 50f8f8, f85050, f850f8, f8f850 and f8f8f8.

These are basically different shades of the same colors.

Converting Images

When converting images for use with toolbox or ua256, the palette should be reduced to the number of colors you are allowed to change. Title 1 has 256 colors. Titles 2-6, bigpics and smallpics have 224 colors. Combat icons have 192 colors. Sprites have 80 colors. Wallsets have 38 colors. Backgrounds have 33 colors. Combat sprites, dungeons, wildernesses, always, frames, gens and menus have 32 colors.

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »
Just wanted to add that palette effects also work in the "3d exploration view" with wallsets/backdrops.

For example you could also expand the day-night effect a bit if you work with a limited palette:

As the palette entries 144-175 are controlled by the backdrops, using these in the wallsets changes the wallset colors too.
While drawing the following wall I used the the palette slots 144-159 (the second colored row in the palette):

After that I created two backdrops with my "always 2" palette slots (16-31), but changed the colors of palette entries 144-159 for a darker shade:

And voilą, if the backdrop changes in the game, it changes the palette as well, resulting in a general darkening of the walls too:

Just for a sidenote: mixing the backdrop controlled and other wallset colors on the wallsets could result in some nice effects too: messages only visible at night, reflections at daylight.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:03:57 PM by Adam »