Author Topic: PREVIEW: Helmetlands: Snow Tigress  (Read 35659 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
PREVIEW: Helmetlands: Snow Tigress
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »
I am not sure if I will be able to finish "Helmetlands: Snow Tigress" until the deadline for the 2nd winter contest (June rather end of May 2012), but I have at least made significant progress with the character design and have decided how the story will be handled. Here is a screenshot and some character portraits:

Screenshot from the beginning of the game

As written earlier in the Helmetlands thread, this is planned to be a mystery game, maybe even without combats, but hopefully very spooky...  :icon_pale:
:D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:48:16 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: PREVIEW: Helmetlands: Snow Tigress
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
It looks very cool. :D I personally, would welcome a 'mystery' game without combats (not that I'm opposed to one with combats, mind you ;) )

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:08 PM »
Very cool, those helmets (with the "eyes") are especially spiffy!  I like how you always have your characters filling the screen (their legs extending).

There is another winter contest?  That is good news, I like winter contests :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 02:38:48 AM »
I like how you always have your characters filling the screen (their legs extending).

Well, I won't do that for all characters this time. What I will do quite often (probably also in Helmet Menace) is showing the party members at the right side of the screen when they "report" something:

This approach may become a problem if you can have many characters in the party, since the text is displayed on top of the images, and it would probably look strange to have the party members' names, AC and hitpoints covering their faces... (It may be interesting, by the way, to shift the stat texts to the right so that only the party members' names are visible, particularly if you want to have a wide 3d-view window...)

It looks very cool. :D I personally, would welcome a 'mystery' game without combats (not that I'm opposed to one with combats, mind you ;) )
To be perfectly precise, there may be one or two combats depending on which way the player acts, but the game may as well be solvable without fighting at all.

Very cool, those helmets (with the "eyes") are especially spiffy! 
The mystery of the helmets will only be touched in this game, but it will be an important topic in "Helmet Menace". Actually, I see "Snow Tigress" as a test for the acceptance of the helmettigers. In other words, if nobody likes the characters occuring herein, I should really reconsider continuing with the "Helmetlands" story...

Here are some more characters. The players will be introduced to them at the beginning of the game, so this is no spoiling...

There is another winter contest?  That is good news, I like winter contests :D
I think one idea behind the second winter contest is that you and Hans may be able to complete the designs you planned for the first contest... :)
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1943.0
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1953.0
A winter design of yours would really be great, even if it was a small one!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:36:19 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:02:26 AM »
Well, I will work on it...  perhaps it should be possible if the deadline is this summer...

Wow, using the full-body pictures for PCs' speech is quite a dramatic effect...  although it it true that they may cover up some text...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
Wow, using the full-body pictures for PCs' speech is quite a dramatic effect...  although it it true that they may cover up some text...
It's just the other way round, all text is displayed on top of any graphics, including sprites. It would be great if the different areas of text could be assigned to different layers, so that sprites could be displayed on top of the PC information. But that is not possible in the current DC version...

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:39:20 PM »
Well, the text that is actually part of the frame is covered up...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »
Well, the text that is actually part of the frame is covered up...
Well, of course... Precise as always!  ;)

Some more images and screenshots from Helmetlands: Snow Tigress

Screenshot from within the game

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »
Cool stuff, Dinonykos. :D That screenshot is amazing.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »
Wow, Dinonykos!  Really lush landscapes and characters...  I really always admire how you can do all that!

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 04:21:00 AM »
Wow, Dinonykos!  Really lush landscapes and characters...  I really always admire how you can do all that!
I can only return that compliment, particularly since your way of designing your characters is more complicated than mine. :D

At the moment, I am designing the intro comic. I think I should also compose a special midi song for this adventure, but I had no idea yet except something with a homage to "All along the watchtower". :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
Oh, blah, I don't design characters, they just sort of invent themselves :D

But anyway, walls are a pain for me...  but you need a good number of them for variety...

I tried playing with a MIDI composer-type program recently - damn, that is hard stuff to use!  My mod may have to be music-free for a while :D

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »
I have a fairly old program called MusicTime Deluxe which enables you to write music as sheet music on the computer. You can also attach an electronic piano keyboard and it will record the notes that you play. It makes it fairly easy to make music files, which you can save as midis. There are hundreds of instruments to choose from. Too bad I have no musical talent or training in composition.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:57 PM »
That does sound a lot easier than what I have!  At any rate, I guess I will have to start with sheet music first... blah.  But maybe walls have higher importance than music at this point...  (What I have right now has only two instruments.)

Anyway, maybe I will play Cold Trail tonight... :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »
I tried playing with a MIDI composer-type program recently - damn, that is hard stuff to use!  My mod may have to be music-free for a while :D

Do you plan on doing all the music yourself, too?

anything