Poll

Which Module Design do you think won the winter-themed contest?

Haptooth Tower
0 (0%)
Helmetlands: Cold Trail
1 (25%)
March of the Machines
1 (25%)
The Retracting Ice
2 (50%)
Grouchy Old Man
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 29, 2012, 10:53:38 PM

Author Topic: 2011-2012 Winter Contest  (Read 4983 times)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Re: 2011-2012 Winter Contest
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 08:45:53 AM »
Obviously I can't vote even more than Dinonykos. I don't know if Cold Trail or The Retracting Ice should be number one. I would place March at 3rd, Haptooth at 4th and Grouchy at 5th.

I just did the math for placements, and the designs are in the same positions I had my test contest html page set at. So if there aren't any more votes I won't have to change it.

On the other hand I'm fixing Grouchy Old Man during this lull. I think I have almost all of the problems ironed out. Most were related to using quest stages with impossible. I think that is also why March of the Machines has a repeating text bug. I will also try to convert it to DC for the second winter/cold contest. So if anyone really wants to vote for it fixed, that would be the place. I'll also see if I can fix The Retracting Ice and convert it to DC for the second contest. I expect 3 DC and 3 UA designs for that contest, so there will be two winners instead of one.

For the next contest I think we'll go by voting from 1 to 10 per design in the review section. I'll also have my 3 up and debugged long before the deadlines.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »
So if there aren't any more votes I won't have to change it.

Ha ha, you certainly know how to encourage voting!  ;)

So far, I've only played two of the five design (Cold Trail & March of the Machines), but maybe I'll manage to give the other ones a try, too, before the voting deadline.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 06:36:17 AM »
So far I've only played through two of the five designs, and although I'd like to check out the other three very soon, too, due to my workload I won't make it until tonight. So if you insist on the deadline, I fear I'm out of the voting process.  :(

Offline hans

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »
4 people have voted.  The UANL often had panels of judges with just 3.  So, actually, this ain't bad...   ;)

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
Darn, if this is the last vote I have to change 1st and 2nd place. I better do that now before I forget.  :(

EDIT: Could use 1 more comment for Haptooth Tower and The Retracting Ice. They have two, the other three have three. The two are hans and nologgie.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:37:41 AM by GoldBoxFan »

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »
I just uploaded the uanl45 with the contest results. From the vote above, we know which design won. It is the other four spots you might debate. We have four votes for first place. I didn't vote. Dinonykos didn't vote for his own but might have voted for one of mine. hans and nologgie voted. And Olivier may have voted or not. We don't really know who two of the voters are.

I'm not sure if I should show the results or wait until the newsletter is up and link to it. The uanl article has pictures, links and commentary. There are a lot of links in the new uanl, especially to DC art. Let me know how you want the results displayed.

Offline hans

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 02:07:46 PM »
I'm not sure if I should show the results or wait until the newsletter is up and link to it. The uanl article has pictures, links and commentary. There are a lot of links in the new uanl, especially to DC art. Let me know how you want the results displayed.

Might as well wait.  Especially since the contestants, you & Dinonykos, aren't being kept in suspense.   ;)

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
For 1st place there is no suspense. But what about 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th? How did I determine them?  ???

Offline hans

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »
1st place: The Retracting Ice
2nd place:  A tie:  Helmetlands: Cold Trail & March of the Machines (listed alphabetically)

The normal thing, according to general convention, is to then drop 3rd place, as one of the two that tied would have taken 3rd's spot.   

You could give the other two "honorable mention," or add a 4th place finish, which would include both of them as another tie.  The former would be better protocol, I believe.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
Actually I wanted a list of 1st-5th so I could set the other places. And some of the contests went from 1st place to 20th place. In any event, I used the lists by hans and nologgie as tie breakers. As well as my 3rd-5th list as it was obvious what was 1st and 2nd (though not which order).

UANL45 is up and the link to the contest is February 2012 Winter-Themed Design Contest Results.

I forgot to reread the foreward or I would have added nologgie as playing all five also in the special thanks department. Thanks nologgie:angel:

If I ever edit this newsletter I'll make the correction.  :D

Offline hans

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
Nice work on the NL, GoldBoxFan!   :D

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 05:20:24 AM »
And Olivier may have voted or not.

Nope, I didn't. Would have told you if I had. Like I said I didn't play all of them yet, so it would have been unfair to vote for a favorite.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 10:03:40 AM »
Nice work on the NL, GoldBoxFan!   :D
I'm still going back through the online version to make sure everything works online like it does offline. I would have yesterday but I got caught up finishing my title palette fixes for 30 art packs (changing slots 0-31 with 224-255 which were black-empty). Poor Donnie, I uploaded 60 zips in the last week.

And Olivier may have voted or not.

Nope, I didn't. Would have told you if I had. Like I said I didn't play all of them yet, so it would have been unfair to vote for a favorite.
I didn't think you had, but you might have after reading what other people had to say. Oh well, I had enough information to make placements.

Oh well, 3 more months until the Cold Contest. Hopefully the other three will get done by then.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »
No worries. It's my small contribution to the joy I've received from FRUA and the community over the years. :D