Poll

Which Module Design do you think won the winter-themed contest?

Haptooth Tower
0 (0%)
Helmetlands: Cold Trail
1 (25%)
March of the Machines
1 (25%)
The Retracting Ice
2 (50%)
Grouchy Old Man
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 29, 2012, 10:53:38 PM

Author Topic: 2011-2012 Winter Contest  (Read 5364 times)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."

Offline hans

Re: 2011-2012 Winter Contest
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 04:11:47 PM »
I'm working on playing March, right now.  Then I'll have the last two to go.  Do we have until the Poll closes to have our votes count? 

Also, is everybody okay with combining UA with DC?

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »
Combining seems reasonable to me.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »
I have to upload UANL#45 on1 March. So I need the results by 29 February. If everybody chooses one module then it will be a 4 way tie for second.

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:39:16 PM »

I'm not against it, but, with the many advances in DC, it would seem to put the UA entries at an inherent disadvantage...

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:37:19 AM »

I'm not against it, but, with the many advances in DC, it would seem to put the UA entries at an inherent disadvantage...

Interesting point. I've been helping out with DC for about 2 years, so I find that a happy thought. :)  I think DC is better for sound, and in many ways for graphics. (I still miss color cycling.) For ease of use, ease of design, and overall playability I think it still lags, but we're working on it.

I'm going to rate the games primarily by how much I liked them. This is extremely arbitrary because it relies greatly upon personal taste, but I rate music, movies, and food the same way. I don't think the limitations of the engines will be a factor for me, but I'm pretty easily amused.  I know not all of us like or look for the same things, and I'm intrigued to see how the voting will go.

And I'm happy to have some new designs to play!  ;D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 05:37:49 AM »
In this case, I am for a combined voting, otherwise, there would be no competition left... :D (Well, at least no competition between different contributors. Surely, it is also interesting to see which of GoldBoxFan's designs is the favoured one.)

I guess even those who have used only one of the editors so far can to some degree imagine the advantages and disadvantages (concerning graphics, sounds, and designing) FRUA and DC have and include that aspect within their vote. Furthermore, we all are probably not using these editors because we are after high-resolution graphics and quadraphonic sound. :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »
If Grouchy Old Man (wu_jen) works, that would probably be my best, though The Retracting Ice has a very talkative NPC and lots of ice.

Unfortunately, I had to keep stopping Grouchy to convert articles for UANL45, or I would have had it completely playtested. If the transitions aren't messed up it should work. There appears to be a bug with quest stages that use Impossible. They don't seem to care what stage the quest is at, so they all go off. I only got 25% of the way through it before I had to upload. I needed 24 hours more to straighten things out. When I finish with the UANL articles I'll give it another run-through for the March 1st fixed upload.

EDIT: As far as DC goes, it takes longer to make those extra bells and whistles than FRUA does. So it evens out. Besides, this is more about getting new designs than who actually wins, isn't it? And anyway, I'm presently the only one who would be hurt by a DC advantage, as I'm the only FRUA designer who made the deadline. And I didn't expect to win.

In future, if a contest has 3 DC designs and 3 FRUA designs I will separate it into two contests. I did, actually, convert Haptooth Tower to DC, but didn't have time to make/add any new art. So I didn't list it among the contest entries.  :)

EDIT 2: Please make at least one-line comments for all designs so that the UANL results will have something said about them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:39:55 AM by GoldBoxFan »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 07:39:54 AM »

I think I disagree. It might be hard to compare the two, but I don't think one is inherently superior to the other. In the end it all comes down to the author's skill in story-telling (and maybe choice of graphics, but for me a higher resolution is not necessarily better than a lower and hi-fi music not always better than xmi). Besides, in the same way you could say that UA authors are at an advantage because they have a lot more pre-made material to choose from and because the combat and magic is 100% working already. Both engines have their advantages and disadvantages. ;)

The only drawback I see in combining the two is that DC authors might not have the means to play UA designs, while the DC designs come with executables (and DC is free). But maybe that's just a hypothetical issue?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:43:54 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »
I'm not voting since I'm too involved. I actually need the modukes rated 1st-5th, but didn't want to make 5 polls. So if voters would list 2nd-5th here that would be helpful. I've got the contest page ready. I just have to move the entries to the correct slots.

Offline hans

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
Please make at least one-line comments for all designs so that the UANL results will have something said about them.

Lack of reviews can be an even more serious problem than lack of entries.  So far, there's only mine (and I didn't even make an official review for Helmetlands: Cold Trail because I didn't successfully finish it).   :confused4: 

Apparent lack of interest can dampen not only the spirits of contest entrants, but spread to other potential authors, as well.  "Why should I work long and hard to create a UA mod if nobody plays them anymore?"  It will be lack of players, not lack of authors, that will sound the deathknell for FRUAdom.   :offtheair:

Even capsule reviews are better than no reviews...   :toothy5:

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:38:21 AM »
I always review everything I play, one way or the other. Even if it is just 1 or 2 lines. I haven't reviewed Cold Trail yet though. I originally died of starvation and then reloaded an earlier save. I accidentally had search on. Never search when you eat supplies.

I thought Retracting and Grouchy would be my two best entries. The others were for fun. I only put up four entries because I wanted to make sure the contest had 3 entries. I have seen two contests with 0 entries and two contests with 1 entry. One of the latter was the SHUA contest where two non-shua designs were added from earlier, one of which won. I think that was hans.

I intend on putting up three entries for each contest (I recently set the rules to no more than 3) just to make sure no embarrassing moments occur. This does cause the problem that I can't vote in those contests. But, hopefully, it encourages others to be a part of the contest after seeing my entries.

Though most of the people here are probably for Dungeon Craft, I think there are as many as 50 FRUA players. I think I'll start a thread and ask.

Of course, its weird for the person with 4 entries asking for one-line comments. Sometimes being EIC of the UANL can make me say strange things.   ::)

Offline hans

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »
I voted for "March of the Machines" because, although it was a short and fairly simple design, it was good fun with little to no frustrating aspects. 

My choice for second goes to "Helmetlands: Cold Trail."  This is really an amazing work of art, as every detail, large to small, reflects a very personalized vision by the author.  It would've won, hands down, if not for the frustration factor of the food/starvation. 

Third, for me, is "The Retracting Ice."  A fixed version would be at least several times a better mod than "March of the Machines."  It's many positives, however, were undercut by the negatives. 

Fourth would be "Haptooth Tower."  Amiable, and not buggy, but ultimately less involving and exciting than any of the other entries.  Probably more enjoyable for fans of SSI's Curse of the Azure Bonds, for nostalgia's sake, than for others. 

Fifth would go to "Grouchy Old Man," which would've been highly delightful if not for its many snafus.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 02:14:35 AM »
1 - Helmetlands: Cold Trail
Far and away the best artwork, and some pretty amazing usage of the logic block! I liked the music, but didn't care much for the voice acting. (I actually turned the sound on for the first 15 minutes. That's unusual for me.) Time constraints and play balance made it less fun than it might have been. I spent several hours grinding my way through this one. It can be played in less than 30 minutes once you know where everything is, how to go about things, and don't get killed along the way. All of it was beautifully done. Parts of it were fun.

2 - The Retracting Ice
It is pretty buggy and has some fairly serious flaws, but none of them prevent play. I found it the most enjoyable of the bunch.

3 - March of the Machines
This one was the least buggy of the UA entries, and fairly fun. Short and very linear.

4 - Haptooth Tower
Not too buggy and somewhat fun. It could definitely use more rest areas. Some safe, some with a chance of interruption.

I found Grouchy Old Man too buggy to play, so I give it no rating. That's a shame, because I really liked the concept and what I saw of the writing.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 05:54:16 AM »
Of course, I will not vote for my own design. Apart from that, Nologgie has almost exactly reflected my thoughts, with the small difference that the story of March of the Machines is not my cup of tea. Grouchy Old Man is very promising, but still needs a lot of work.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

anything