Author Topic: Preview: Helmetlands  (Read 34609 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Preview: Helmetlands
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2010, 04:25:36 AM »
I haven't tried it on version .914, but the Solo Combat tutorial I wrote up should work for it...just giving you options.
And I very much appreciate options! :) I see the one-vs-one challenges rather as story elements, though. But I expect your tutorial to be helpful for the second and third part...

You ask the player at the beginning if they would like event-driven or classic combat and store the answer as a variable for a quest.
Then, each time you want to have a combat, you first event in the chain checks the value stored in the quest and then goes to the appropriate part of the event chain.
Yep. While I won't use this approach for the combats, it is a good general solution for setting things at the beginning. You could, e.g., ask the player in the beginning if (s)he is 6, 12, 16, or 18 and design the events concerning the choice...  ;D

Does this mean that Helmetlands, part I will be coming out in the next couple of months?
I do not think so, to be honest. I darkly remember that years ago (2007/2008?) I stated the game was about to be finished soon... well, at least, I did two prequels... :) Presently, I aim at Summer 2011 for the release of a "Bronze Edition". :D :D :D

If Helmetlands gets released in version .914 and then you want to change it to version 1.0, that will be no problem. :D
Nice, that's what I thought and hoped.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »

You ask the player at the beginning if they would like event-driven or classic combat and store the answer as a variable for a quest.
Then, each time you want to have a combat, you first event in the chain checks the value stored in the quest and then goes to the appropriate part of the event chain.
Yep. While I won't use this approach for the combats, it is a good general solution for setting things at the beginning. You could, e.g., ask the player in the beginning if (s)he is 6, 12, 16, or 18 and design the events concerning the choice...  ;D

This is a FRUA trick I've seen used to give the option of random combats. I always liked the idea and appreciated the option, as I generally don't like the use of random combats as they tend to happen too often (there are plenty of mods that are exceptions to this, however).

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2010, 09:06:48 AM »
While the Helmetlands homepage still states that there will be no overland maps in Helmetlans, I have decided to use one. The question is if I should do it in pseudo 3D like this one:

... or in 2D-top-down view

(The maps above are from older versions of helmetlands.)

Additionally, I wonder if it would be better to indicate the squares somehow, e.g. with a chess-board pattern shimmering through from behind...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2010, 12:06:21 PM »
I like the first one. It ties in nicely with the overall art style of the game.

I don't think you need to indicate the squares, unless the number of steps the player takes plays any significant role (there's a map in "The Sect" where the number of steps is important, I don't know if you have progressed that far yet).
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »

Indeed, I agree.  :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »

Me too! :D I like both looks, though. Maybe the 2D top-down could be used for some other project...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2010, 02:40:21 AM »
Me too! :D I like both looks, though. Maybe the 2D top-down could be used for some other project...
I think about two additional options, one is to make the overland map look like computer display with a map on it, the other to make it look like a drawn map - I mean, a map drawn by a NPC... In any case, thank for your votes! :)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2010, 04:45:40 AM »
I think either of those four ways is fine as long as it fits with the drawing style of the game.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2010, 02:29:39 PM »
I'll go so far as to say that with limited supply of DC art, especially big pics and maps, that I'll happily admire anything you do, Dinonykos. :D

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2010, 09:47:47 PM »

The Pseudo 3D one matches the graphic style of your other work more than the top down 2D one does. I vote for Pseudo 3D.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2010, 03:06:04 AM »
The Pseudo 3D one matches the graphic style of your other work more than the top down 2D one does. I vote for Pseudo 3D.
One "problem" ist that it is not possible to transfer the comic-like graphic style with the strong black outlines to the combat icons and the area view. Well, it may be possible to some degree, but looks strange.
I was undecided concerning the overland maps, but thanks to you guys I am now convinced that it will be something in comic-style...

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2010, 08:51:14 AM »
I like both pictures - it is true that the second looks more like your icons than the 3D-view art.  :)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »
I like both pictures - it is true that the second looks more like your icons than the 3D-view art.  :)
Years ago, I have experimented with a different approach: scanning pencil drawings and completely redrawing the image in the computer on a new layer, with outlines in similar colours as the fillings instead of black outlines.

(This picture is ten years old...)

However, I prefer the approach I used for Friedrich's Quest and Revenge and hope that it is okay that the area view and the combat icons have a different style. 

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2010, 03:22:11 PM »
You could probably get away with using black outlines with the combat icons, especially if the subjects are larger than human/demi-human size.

It is possible to do a black outline for the area view art, but since the walls are currently 4 pixels thick, that doesn't leave much (not to mention the black backdrop). Of course you can make the walls thicker and change the backdrop color...still it may look nearly as much black as any other color. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2010, 04:22:43 PM »
You could probably get away with using black outlines with the combat icons, especially if the subjects are larger than human/demi-human size.

It is possible to do a black outline for the area view art, but since the walls are currently 4 pixels thick, that doesn't leave much (not to mention the black backdrop). Of course you can make the walls thicker and change the backdrop color...still it may look nearly as much black as any other color. :)
Well, but even professional games use different styles (e.g., in Heroes of M&M 5, they have Manga-like portraits, but totally different units), and as you pointed out, outlines in the combat and area views would not really make sense. Maybe later, when/if I change to another resolution (although the icons have the same size by default in 800 and 1048 px width, correct?).