Author Topic: Preview: Helmetlands  (Read 29943 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Preview: Helmetlands
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 06:29:12 AM »
The icons look amazing - I expected no less.  :)

I think this will really enhance the Friedrich experience and create an even greater connection to the individual characters, because the players can now see them fight.

:stop: *Friedrich's Revenge Spoiler!* :stop:

I have a question about the character of "Gila" - she appeared at the end of "FR" and the text made it seem as if I should know her - did she make an appearance in "FQ"? I have no recollection of Gila appearing in "FR" before the finale, but I might be wrong and a victim of major memory fail here.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 08:58:01 AM »
Hey, looks great!  :D  The actions of the player characters are very unique and interesting, too - seems to hint at their special abilities :)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 09:22:54 AM »
I think this will really enhance the Friedrich experience and create an even greater connection to the individual characters, because the players can now see them fight.
As promised, you will also see them fight in the event-based combat.

Rhon fighting a Helmettiger.

This is an older picture, but at least some of the combats will contain stuff like this, in case you chose the event-based combat.

:stop: *Friedrich's Revenge Spoiler!* :stop:
I have a question about the character of "Gila" - she appeared at the end of "FR" and the text made it seem as if I should know her - did she make an appearance in "FQ"? I have no recollection of Gila appearing in "FR" before the finale, but I might be wrong and a victim of major memory fail here.
One problem may be that the party characters know her, of course, and thus this may imply that the player should know her as well. I do not recall the text, to be honest... :)
*slight spoiling ahead*
However, Gila appeared in FQ firstly "indirectly", since the Deinonyki are based on her (or, to be more precise, you could call her a Deinonykus-Marten crossbreed, and Friedrich chose her skin colours for the Deinonykus), and secondly as one of the "bosses". I assume you do not remember because you did not like the combats at all? :)

In "The Helmet Menace", Gila will definitely be one of the party characters, and you can ask her to tell her background story (interesting that you asked about Gila, since her dialogs are what I am working on concerning the texts in Helmetlands at the moment).

Gila arguing with an Airswork (or "Swairk"), one of the creatures you are going to meet quite often in Helmetlands.

Gordon will have a supporting role, and Rhon will lead the party. Jakob is also taking part as party member. The other characters known from FQ and FR will either occur in the beginning or as supporting NPCs during the game. You can see all main characters in the first post of this threads. The screen layout will be quite different, however...

Hey, looks great!  :D  The actions of the player characters are very unique and interesting, too - seems to hint at their special abilities :)

Indeed. However, do not expect too many super-powers. No "venom blasts", "proportional strength", "proportional reflexes", and so on... :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
These icons and big pics look great, Dinonykos. :D

As for those that will choose the event-base combat - count me in that group. :) Though, I am sure that I will play it using the classic combat as well, maybe on my second time through. :D

Even though I now know that Spiderman will not be in the adventure, I am still looking forward to it. ;)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »
Awesome big pics!  :D  So, we get a choice between combat types?  That is interesting...  I think it will be hard to choose :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 09:43:12 AM »
Awesome big pics!  :D  So, we get a choice between combat types?  That is interesting...  I think it will be hard to choose :D
Thus it is good to have several save slots. You may miss some minor possible story arcs when chosing the normal combat, since it does not allow further negotiation during combat and things like that. But I am still not absolutely sure how to handle it - therefore, stay tuned for a short demo so that I can get additional feedback.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 09:54:06 AM »
Either way, it seems rather complex to set...  :-\  (I do think there will be lots of replay value, though!)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »
Either way, it seems rather complex to set...  :-\  (I do think there will be lots of replay value, though!)
I think so! Concerning replay value, I think I will start a thread about that soon. There are so many options in DC (even more than in FRUA) to enlarge the replay value, maybe we should combine our ideas... :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
Dinonykos, are you going to offer the option at every combat? Or will you do something at the beginning asking the player which she prefers (storing value in quest or something)?

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 04:25:19 PM »
Wow, for some reason I failed to notice the first page of this thread... all these screenshots really rock! :headbang:

The "walking on roofs" idea could be used for so many things, like flying, or walking through a labyrinth with spikes below the path, etc.

I was wondering one time how one could do something like that in UA, with the intent of doing train levels for a Wild West design but didn't come up with a convincing solution yet.  :-\

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »
I would certainly play a Wild West design where I could walk on the tops of trains. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 03:57:39 AM »
Dinonykos, are you going to offer the option at every combat? Or will you do something at the beginning asking the player which she prefers (storing value in quest or something)?
I think asking in the beginning would be more difficult to handle (although possible, as you stated).

I have now again made progress with "The Sect", the first FRUA/DC design I have played for more than 12 hours! (But I would have played some other designs as long if they weren't so short, like the contest contributions :) which I liked very much.) When playing this design, I enjoyed a lot of combats (even some I lost... :D ), but I would really have liked to skip others. Therefore, I will give both options any time when the party faces a group of enemies. The player will be warned in the beginning that he will not have much influence on the event-based combat, but that the classic combat only allows a limited number of outcomes.

Additionally, I will probably do part I of Helmetlands (The Helmet Menace) still in DC 0.914 (I assume that the next DC release will probably still need some months), and since there are some bugs in the combat system of 0.914, the player can use the event-based combat to avoid problems. I assume, if the next official release comes earlier then I expect, I can still switch to the newer version, right?

What else will you find in Helmetlands?

Challenges: Sometimes, NPCs will ask single party members for a duell. In that case, the classic combat will not be available. However, the player will have the following options:
  • All party members attack challenger - easy win, but reputation loss and sometimes further consequences in some story arcs...
  • Accept challenge: The party member will fight the challenger alone. The outcome will be calculated similarly to the event-based combat, but the player is not allowed to decide how the party member fights. Depending on outcome, the party member will gain experience or other rewards, and further story parts will unfold.
  • Reject challenge: May have consequences like reputation loss.

Magic: In Helmet Menace, Magic will only play a limited role (e.g., you may find NPCs capable of healing spells). This makes sense, since the party will consist of Martens only, which are incapable of doing magic, as well as most of the other characters you will meet (at least in part I). However, depending on when DC 1.0 is completed, the following parts will have a lot of magic, and part III will allow to create Magic Users and Priests.

Specialities: These will probably be handled in a similar way as in "Friedrich's Revenge", but probably include disemboweling of dead animals, scenting, seducing, seeing ultraviolet, scanning a level and more.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »
There is so much in your post...most if not all of which leaves me on the verge of drooling. Well except for the part where you discuss what DC can't do. No drooling there. :D

I haven't tried it on version .914, but the Solo Combat tutorial I wrote up should work for it...just giving you options.

As for choosing at the beginning, it goes something like:
You ask the player at the beginning if they would like event-driven or classic combat and store the answer as a variable for a quest.
Then, each time you want to have a combat, you first event in the chain checks the value stored in the quest and then goes to the appropriate part of the event chain.

As for whether or not you use version .914 or version 1.0, I guess it's a personal choice ultimately, but I say build it in .914 and switch whenever you're ready. :) You have a pretty good idea, or can gain a pretty good idea of the advantages of using version 1.0. I see no reason why you couldn't use an updated engine if for some reason the official 1.0 release has not happened yet.
Does this mean that Helmetlands, part I will be coming out in the next couple of months? I haven't publicly shared the DC timeline, and I won't start now, but you have special insight into this as well. :)

If Helmetlands gets released in version .914 and then you want to change it to version 1.0, that will be no problem. :D

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2010, 06:32:07 PM »
I haven't tried it on version .914, but the Solo Combat tutorial I wrote up should work for it...just giving you options.

It works.

ST

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2010, 08:28:56 PM »
Wow, sounds awesome, Dinonykos...  Wish I had some time these days to play what is already up there...