Author Topic: Gold Box Companion - tool for GB games  (Read 13209 times)

Offline Mtdl

Re: Gold Box Companion - tool for GB games
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2015, 11:20:13 PM »
Yes, it does seem to work with this save. I played for a while this afternoon and it was in the area before the underwater part that I had trouble with (the cave after the first forest). Unfortunately, I don't have a save file for this area.

Regarding the demi-human level caps, did someone report any bugs with temporarily switching their race to human (mages not getting their spells, saving throws not working correctly, ect.)? It seems to work fine so far (I'm using it to level my dwarf as a ranger), but I'm wondering, because I am planning to play Pools of Darkness next with a demi-human party using your editor to level them past their caps.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2015, 01:09:35 AM »
Progression goes:
(Ruins of) Caergoth,
Draconian Caves,
Underwater Area. (It is all one map too.)

Use Playtester Mode if you want to get around, it involves loading a supplied save game.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:11:23 AM by Ishad Nha »

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2015, 08:58:30 PM »
I seem to have a problem with the automap again, this time in Kristophan city (Dark Queen of Krynn). I tried all the steps you mentionned above and while it worked in the other areas, it simply won't there. The search wizard finds all my characters but it cannot find a map. I tried increasing the search range, with no success. Reloading in different areas with different facings doesn't work either. If you're interested in checking it out, I'll send you my savefile, jhirvonen, I made a copy.

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2015, 09:30:23 PM »
Yes, send it.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2015, 01:48:58 AM »
GBC always displays a map, even when the original game does not?
In some areas of some Gold Box games, the game does not display a map. This is presumably a decision made by the designers.

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2015, 06:12:08 AM »
I seem to have a problem with the automap again, this time in Kristophan city (Dark Queen of Krynn). I tried all the steps you mentionned above and while it worked in the other areas, it simply won't there. The search wizard finds all my characters but it cannot find a map. I tried increasing the search range, with no success. Reloading in different areas with different facings doesn't work either. If you're interested in checking it out, I'll send you my savefile, jhirvonen, I made a copy.

I tried your save and the map was found. My TDQoK is version is 1.0, DOSBox is 0.74. What OS are you using?

GBC always displays a map, even when the original game does not?
In some areas of some Gold Box games, the game does not display a map. This is presumably a decision made by the designers.

Yes, the map is always displayed regardless of the availability of the Area-command.

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
My DQK is version 1.1. I'm using Windows 8.1. Dosbox is 0.74. I tried it again to make sure and it still won't display the map. I'm using D-Fend , if this makes a difference.

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
My DQK is version 1.1. I'm using Windows 8.1. Dosbox is 0.74. I tried it again to make sure and it still won't display the map. I'm using D-Fend , if this makes a difference.

I think I found the problem. The maps datafile GEO.TLB is different between game versions 1.0 and 1.1. I have attached a new datafile for DQK, unzip it to "GBC\Games\07. The Dark Queen of Krynn\"-folder.

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »
It works. Thanks! By the way, is there a way to add notes on the maps? In the older version, where I used your tool to map myself, it was possible, but I don't see it mentionned in the instructions for this version.

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 07:39:36 AM »
Forgot to mention here that I released a small update to GBC some weeks ago:

• Effects are shown in the HUD. If a character is level drained it's also shown although it's not an effect per se. Effects can be edited..
  • Combat view. Shows character / monster locations. Shows if character/monster is held or helpless. You can mouseover characters/monsters to see their base stats and effects. Monsters can be edited.
  • World map view. Party location is shown in some games.
  • Scroll bundles in FRUA should now work when loading a saved game.
  • Lists saved games chronologically with a description of the location (map name).
  • Able to backup to latest save game.
This version is meant to be used with the GOG.com game versions or with vanilla DOSBox 0.74. It probably won't work with the various other versions of DOSBox.

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2016, 08:33:34 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention last year: I looked at many of the outdoor zones and I was able to figure out where the map was.
To find any notes I may have made, you will need to examine the hub/topic for each game. They are all found in this Hacking UA sub-forum.

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »
I added an option to Gold Box Companion to level up characters without visiting a training hall. The level up dialog is started by pressing LEVEL UP from the HUD.

Screenshot

- The level up isn't limited by demihuman level limits. Game level limits can also be removed if wanted.
- Does not cost anything.
- You can level up several experience levels. Experience points are not wasted.
- Max hit points are automatically rolled.

The stat changes per experience level are controlled with editable text file so you can do some modding as well.

The files were generated by automatically leveling characters in the games from level 1 to max level and saving
the character data from memory after each level up. Then the data were compared and the stat lists generated
based on differences between level ups.

For a test, I added the option to play as paladins, rangers and monks in Pool of Radiance.
- For paladins and rangers, you create a level 1 fighter and convert it to a paladin or a ranger in GBC's character editor. There's a button for this.
- For monks, you create a level 1 thief and convert it. Monks can not use any items, get AC bonuses and unarmed attacks.
In Pool, you can only level these classes with the level up dialog. Can be exported to Curse where paladins and rangers should work normally.

FRUA has a bug where all thief saving throws are set to zero starting from level 1. When you level up with GBC the values from Pools of Darkness are used.

Dark Queen sets all saves to zero with all classes at level 19 so this is probably a bug as well. GBC level up uses the level 18 saves so the game will be more difficult this way.

Gold Box Companion homepage

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2016, 02:59:37 PM »
I tried to use this tool with FRUA recently.  I saw a lot of potential for things that would come in handy for designers if they were to be added, but I have no idea if it's the kind of thing you'd want to pursue.  If so, let me know and I'll tell you what I was thinking.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
What do you have in mind?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2016, 04:07:16 PM »
For example, when I'm designing in FRUA, I frequently use Quest Stages and steps.  The problem with these is that in order to test a quest step further down the chain, you have to run through all previous steps or have a save game where they have already been tripped.

One module I'm working on is currently on step 12 of Quest Stage 1. This is very hard to test.  I would either need to do an actual run through of the unfinished game and save at step 11, or I would need to run through all previous 11 steps in testing mode to test step 12 (which in my case is impossible, since testing mode does not allow us to transfer to different maps).  This is a massive pain.  While using GBC, I thought it would be nice if a designer could access the save game info and change the Quest values on the fly for just this reason.

I have no idea if this is possible or something anyone would even want to look into (or if it's something anyone besides me would want).  Just thought I'd throw it out there.

It clearly has no effect on any other Gold-Box game, and while players of FRUA might be able to use it in case they run into a glitch, I think mostly designers might find a real use for it.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

anything