I added an option to Gold Box Companion to level up characters without visiting a training hall. The level up dialog is started by pressing LEVEL UP from the HUD. Screenshot
- The level up isn't limited by demihuman level limits. Game level limits can also be removed if wanted.
- Does not cost anything.
- You can level up several experience levels. Experience points are not wasted.
- Max hit points are automatically rolled.
The stat changes per experience level are controlled with editable text file so you can do some modding as well.
The files were generated by automatically leveling characters in the games from level 1 to max level and saving
the character data from memory after each level up. Then the data were compared and the stat lists generated
based on differences between level ups.
For a test, I added the option to play as paladins, rangers and monks in Pool of Radiance.
- For paladins and rangers, you create a level 1 fighter and convert it to a paladin or a ranger in GBC's character editor. There's a button for this.
- For monks, you create a level 1 thief and convert it. Monks can not use any items, get AC bonuses and unarmed attacks.
In Pool, you can only level these classes with the level up dialog. Can be exported to Curse where paladins and rangers should work normally.
FRUA has a bug where all thief saving throws are set to zero starting from level 1. When you level up with GBC the values from Pools of Darkness are used.
Dark Queen sets all saves to zero with all classes at level 19 so this is probably a bug as well. GBC level up uses the level 18 saves so the game will be more difficult this way.Gold Box Companion homepage