Author Topic: Gold Box Companion - tool for GB games  (Read 14169 times)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Re: Gold Box Companion - tool for GB games
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
Now if somebody would try it with Neverwinter Nights - Online.  :)

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »
I've tried GBC with Pools of Radiance tonight after downloading the newer archive from the site with all the maps and it works with that game. It doesn't change the map when I leave town and head to the slums though.

At the moment you have to select the map by hand as I don't know how to get the area index (if there's any) from the memory.

So you got PoR working? I didn't change the search routines in the new version at all...

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
I made a test utility to read DOSBox memory:

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/test.zip

Search for character name in MHS, then enter  the address found in MHS to the test util and click read and check if it reads the memory correctly (=character name is first string displayed). If not, I may have to change the reading process.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 04:16:52 AM »
Yep, your test util sees the text just fine with the address from MHS.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
Greetings jhirvonen,

I've decided to give Pool of Radiance another play and use GBC along with it. You can pull which map the user is on in this game by reading it from memory. In my instance, the horizontal coordinate is stored at: 0x04344CAD and the map location is stored at 0x043466DC or 0x043632EA. Those two memory locations match the numbers listed here, whenever I'm in the slums, it displays 0x14. This should make the map more user friendly. :D

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
Very nice find Donnie!

Btw, looking at the "test memory read" screenshot, you have two space characters after the name "DONALD"... GBC's string compare checks that the string ends with a zero byte so there might be the answer why the names are not found in GBC. Can you send me the savefile for Champions of Krynn? (joonas.hirvonen@pp.inet.fi).

EDIT:
Actually, I found out that my "import character names from a saved game" trimmed the trailing space chararacters. I uploaded a hopefully fixed version:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/gbc.zip

I'm now playing Silver Blades and noticed that for example in the huge ruins of Old Verdigris, 16x16 sized maps is used for mapping the whole thing. If you use a blank 16x16 map to display party location you'll see how the party location jumps from place to place when going through doors etc. The coordinates on the game screen do not correspond to those in the memory. You FRUA experts probably knew this already. I won't bother mapping the ruins or the mines in SotSB, the cluebooks are enough for those.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:14:49 AM by jhirvonen »

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
I tried your new version of GBC and it worked with Champions of Krynn right away. Much thanks!

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
This issue was discussed in the "Secret of the Silver Blades Hub" topic.
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=991.0
In this topic you will find Simeon Pilgrim's decrypt of the Ecl files.
This use of a 16x16 map to create a much larger town was used for the Mines and the Crevasses too. It is a common device in Gold Box games.
from one of the posts in the SSB topic:
The usual town x,y coordinates found at offsets 5,121 and 5,122 [of the save game file] suggest that map P is simply town 2 with a lot of events. The coordinates will tell me exactly what module is being used at any point.
The "57,27" coordinates are found at offsets 1,019 and 1,021.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:29:38 PM by Ishad Nha »

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 08:01:52 PM »
The Dark Queen of Krynn Hub shows what we achieved in decrypting this game, a fair bit. It also has links to a DC template that shows all the DQK maps, just the thing for adding these maps to Gold Box Companion.

Offline Gwindor

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »
I never got Gold Box Companion to work with Dark Queen of Krynn. I got it to work with all the other games. I was wondering if or how I might get it to work with DQK.

Right now I am playing Death Knights again, and GBC has messed up the reading of the files, to some degree. GBC correctly reads in many of the basic stats of the characters, but GBC thinks my fighter has 255 1st-level cleric spells to memorize. The DKK game does not let my fighter memorize 255 cleric spells!(obviously)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 10:40:28 PM »
I'm now playing Silver Blades and noticed that for example in the huge ruins of Old Verdigris, 16x16 sized maps is used for mapping the whole thing. If you use a blank 16x16 map to display party location you'll see how the party location jumps from place to place when going through doors etc. The coordinates on the game screen do not correspond to those in the memory. You FRUA experts probably knew this already. I won't bother mapping the ruins or the mines in SotSB, the cluebooks are enough for those.

I was curious about how they did this, I knew it had to be procedural (a map with a bunch of rooms, and jumping around to different rooms to complete the huge map). This is awesome that you have the means to show this. I will have to check this out

ST the curious

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 11:55:10 PM »
DQK and FRUA use a very different file format,glb, compared to the earlier Gold Box games, dax.
GBC must be able to handle both file formats if it is to read DQK.

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »
I never got Gold Box Companion to work with Dark Queen of Krynn. I got it to work with all the other games. I was wondering if or how I might get it to work with DQK.

Right now I am playing Death Knights again, and GBC has messed up the reading of the files, to some degree. GBC correctly reads in many of the basic stats of the characters, but GBC thinks my fighter has 255 1st-level cleric spells to memorize. The DKK game does not let my fighter memorize 255 cleric spells!(obviously)

I can try to find the problem if you send me some save files for both games and maybe tell me what DosBOX and game versions you're using.
joonas.hirvonen@pp.inet.fi

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
I've released a new beta version of Gold Box Companion.

- Support for Unlimited Adventures, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed.
- Automapping for all games.
- Journal entries / passwords can be viewed from a menu.
- Save game editor where you can backup saves, add/replace party characters and edit inventory.

12 games is a big number of titles to support so there are most likely bugs and quirks still left.

Screenshots and more information:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

Direct download link:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/gbc.zip

Very experimental event placer for all other games than FRUA:
If you right click on the map it will show event numbers. Control + right click allows you to enter / change event on the location.
This could be used for a live map editor where you could immediately walk around the map and test events. Spawning a training hall would be useful in some cases.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 07:20:25 AM »
This is looking better and better over time. Well done! What I wouldn't've given to have this available when I played through the games.

anything