Author Topic: SHUA  (Read 29075 times)

Offline hans

Re: SHUA
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
Have you read BOOM comics "Incorruptible" and "Irredeemable"?

Nothing ground shaking new but one is about a superman-like hero going nuts, the other about a life-long super villain becoming a hero to stop him.

I bought the first issue of Irredeemable.  It was okay.  The premise was interesting enough.  I think Mark Waid has done some good work, particularly with Kingdom Come (possibly the best of the involve-all-the-superheroes-in-the-universe type stories).  But there was too much competition for my comics dollars when considering continuing with the series. 

I was following the aforementioned Destroyer (Max), Ed Brubaker's Incognito, Marvel's Agents of Atlas, Paul Grist's Jack Staff, and Captain Action (for nostalgia's sake), IIRC, at that time, while shuffling in and out particularly interesting-looking individual issues of other titles.  After missing the second, then third issue of Irredeemable, I didn't try to catch back up.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
I've already expressed my opinion on these boards that Captain America should never be used to divide Americans.  Politically, he should be neither left nor right.  Socially, his values should reflect all the positives of the "greatest generation" to which he originally belonged, but politically he should be neutral -- representing, insofar as is possible, all Americans.  It cheapens his iconic status to side with one side of the aisle against the other, --as distasteful, if not moreso, as a politician wrapping themself in an American flag. 

Diablo: First, the Wasp Dies! Then, I shall deal with--! No-- That hand! It can't be--!!
Steve: Correction, mister! It most definitely is! And are you ever gonna regret it!
Goliath: It's cap!
Steve: None other! Glad to see somebody still remembers me!
Diablo: *Oooff!* Captain America!

- Avengers #42
Sript by Roy Thomas
Pencils by John Buscema

"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
I was following the aforementioned Destroyer (Max), Ed Brubaker's Incognito, Marvel's Agents of Atlas, Paul Grist's Jack Staff, and Captain Action (for nostalgia's sake), IIRC, at that time, while shuffling in and out particularly interesting-looking individual issues of other titles. 

Comic Minute for The Destroyer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y36w5tX78jg&feature=related 

Comic Minute for Incognito:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiFFlI-sKw4

Comic Minute for the Incognito sequel mini-series, Bad Influences:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRpM9lrH5Is&feature=related

Offline hans

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
I remember the old days of Iron Man, back in Tales of Suspense...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SdhlYzKHWxE/TaIEW8ls6DI/AAAAAAAAAVU/hM7VTFjvCfY/s320/Image%2B1.png 
I was just a boy, so the question never entered my mind of how Tony Stark was able to keep up his reputation as a "millionaire playboy" when he had to wear that big iron chestplate 24/7 to keep his heart beating...
 :happy11:  ? ? ?
Were there unrecorded scenes where dialog like this was going on:
"Gee, Tony, sweetie, ...uh..., how long have had this "Iron Man fetish"...?" 
 :nono: ! ! !
(There's another one for you, Dr. Wertham!)

Offline hans

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 10:32:30 PM »
I picked up the DVD "Thor & Loki: Blood Brothers." 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjXO_rNblA4 
It's beautiful, extraodinarily well-done, Shakespearian.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Comic books have always reflected the culture within which they were created.

RECESSION001: "THE ECONOMY IS SO BAD THAT..."
THE FIRST MENACE BORN OF THE RECESSION

RECESSION002: "WOW! I'M RICH! I'M RICH!"
WARREN WORTHINGTON III (AKA THE ANGEL) DISCOVERS THAT HE IS VASTLY WEALTHY.

RECESSION003: "DECLARE BANKRUPTCY! YOU SPINELESS WORM!"
STUART CLARKE DISCOVERS THAT HIS COMPANY "CLARKE FUTURISTICS" IS GOING BANKRUPT.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:49:52 PM by Nol Drek »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 11:49:24 PM »

RECESSION004: RAMPAGE WILL BECOME THE MOST WANTED MAN IN LOS ANGELES.
STUART CLARKE DONS HIS EXO-ARMOR AND BECOMES THE SUPER VILLAIN RAMPAGE.

RECESSION005: CLARKE FUTURISTICS - CALL IT A DREAM GONE BUST
CLARKE REALIZES THE ERROR OF HIS WAYS, BUT CAN'T ESCAPE HIS DOOM.

RECESSION006: IT WAS A VERY DIFFERENT TIME
THE YEAR WAS 1976, THE ECONOMY WAS IN RECESSION, AND JERRY BROWN WAS GOVERNOR OF CALIFORNIA.

CHAMPIONS #5 APRIL 1976 "THE ECONOMY IS SO BAD THAT..."
Tony Isabella - Writer
Don Heck & John Tartas - Artists

CHAMPIONS #9 DECEMBER 1976 "THE BATTLE OF LOS ANGELES!"
Bill Mantlo - Writer
Bob Hall - Artist
Bob Layton - Inker

Offline hans

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
I remember buying those 2 comics.  Rampage definately struck a chord, even tho I was still a little young (early high school, IIRC), to feel the full economic angst of the times. 

I loved George Tuska's work on Iron Man, and much prefered him on Champions over Don Heck.  Rampage was like an unfortunate Tony Stark.  Thematically, Iron Man had always represented capitalism, and Rampage worked that same vein but out of the bottom of the free market.  Seems to me that this would be the perfect time for someone to do a definitive treatment of the character reflective of the current recession.  Has anybody done that...?

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »
I picked up the DVD "Thor & Loki: Blood Brothers." 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjXO_rNblA4 
It's beautiful, extraodinarily well-done, Shakespearian.

Is the animation like the trailer? I get the feeling it works like the Iron Man Extremis DVD, but a little more "animated".

I almost grabbed it today while in Wal-Mart, but decided to hold off. Netflix Streaming usually gets these up within a month or so.

Offline hans

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 12:16:13 AM »
Is the animation like the trailer?

Yes.  It is gorgeous!  I was flabbergasted.  I didn't expect a motion comic to be so alive.  This one's a real gem!

Offline hans

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »
X-Men Origins: Wolverine is surely the worst of the X-Men movies.  I could rattle off a dozen reasons.  The climax, for example, features Wolverine getting saved, in succession, by his brother, then Gambit, and finally his dying lady love.  It's pathetic.  While Hugh Jackman is an ingratiating hero, the movie is a big, ugly mess. 

Serious talk began of a Wolverine spin-off after X2.  I had an idea that I think would have been a lot better.  In X2, Wolverine killed Lady Deathstrike (played wonderfully by Kelly Hu).  No backstory is given to her terrific character, however.  I wondered, since she was under the same mind-control as Cyclops, how do we know if she was good or evil to begin with.   That's where my idea began... 

Wolverine wonders the same thing.  Did I kill (in a most horrible way) an innocent woman?  (Add the psychological twists that she was very like himself, and also that he'd just lost the woman he loved in the same movie.)  It would stick in his claw.  He had to find out. 

If she was a good person, then he would feel obligated to take on any of her debts or outstanding obligations.  He is compelled to do this because he is not an animal, but lives by a strict code of his own personal ethics. 

The quest takes him to the Orient, probably Japan, where he could fight ninjas (a la Frank Miller, which now is the plan for the next Wolverine move, I understand).  While investigating and adventuring there, he occassionally glimpses a woman that looks like Lady Deathstrike.  Is she Lady Deathstrike's twin sister, who may or may not be a mutant?  Is she a clone?  Is she another mutant, like maybe Mystique, who is shapeshifting into Lady Deathstrike's form?  Could she be Lady Deathstrike, herself, somehow come back to life (sans the extra adamantium)?  Could she be her...ghost?  Or, could she exist only in Wolverine's mind...?  (Clearly, my idea uses the "haunting woman" motif that I enjoy so much.) 

I think it was a good idea for a spin-off movie, but, alas, I am not a filmmaker.  Nor did my efforts to implant the idea into the X-Men filmmakers, via telepather, succeed.  (I must have some other mutant power.)

Offline hans

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 07:34:50 PM »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
I loved George Tuska's work on Iron Man, and much prefered him on Champions over Don Heck.  Rampage was like an unfortunate Tony Stark.  Thematically, Iron Man had always represented capitalism, and Rampage worked that same vein but out of the bottom of the free market.  Seems to me that this would be the perfect time for someone to do a definitive treatment of the character reflective of the current recession.  Has anybody done that...?

The Champions was a short-lived Marvel comic which ran from 1975-1978. The series gets a lot of criticism, and most of it is probably deserved. Overall, I think the main problem with the series was the lack of a consistent creative team. The issues which were illustrated by George Tuska and John Byrne look much better, IMO, than the ones done by Don Heck and Bob Hall. The first six issues were written by Tony Isabella, and tried to be "socially relevant" in the awkward way attempted by many comics of the 1970s. The super villain Rampage, who decides to get revenge on the recession by robbing banks, is one such example of the ham-fisted way in which comics of the time tackled social issues. The Champions are presented as being super heroes for the common man and defenders of ordinary folks during those first 6 issues. This makes sense for the Black Widow, coming off her own stint as the people's protector in Amazing Adventures and Daredevil, but it makes little sense for the remaining members of the team: Hercules, Angel, Iceman, and Ghost Rider. Bill Mantlo takes over the writing responsibilities with issue #7, and forgets about the team being the Champions of the common person, and instead sends them off on cosmic adventures as a West Coast version of the Avengers. John Byrne takes over the pencilling duties with issue #11, and I believe that his gorgeous pencils on this title helped pave the way for him to take over the artistic duties on Uncanny X-Men, starting with issue #108, less than a year later.

Anyway, I was struck by the similarities between the recession of the late 1970's and the current recession and decided to post some panels which reflect this.

Offline hans

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
What I bought at my last visit to the local comics shoppe: 

Green Lantern (of DC's ambitious "New 52").  Sinestro (one of my favorite bad guys) is back to being a GL (a chance a redemption?) and is sharing equal time with Hal Jordan through the first three issues so far.  I hope Geoff Johns keeps Sinestro as a GL for a good while.  There's a ton of philosophical tension to mine between him, Hal, and the Guardians. 

The Shade, also from DC, also a cool former villian (now fully rehabilitated) gets his own maxi-series after playing supporting character for many years to James Robinson's Starman.  The first issue's climax is rather stunning. 

Mudman #1 from Image.  A new superhero from Jack Staff creator Paul Grist.  Terrific, stylish storytelling. 

Crack Comics #63 also from Image.  A fun continuation of the Golden Age series. 

Villains for Hire #0.1 from Marvel Comics.  I find most Marvel comics to be too cluttered with a million continuity hooks and subplots to be much fun these days, but I decided to take a chance on this one.  It's less fun than any of the other comics, but I'll probably try VfH #1 when it comes out to see if things improve once it starts the series proper. 

It's easy to go through 20 bucks on comics, these days.  If anybody else wants to share their recent purchases (with capsule comments, perhaps?), please do.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:48:07 PM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »