Author Topic: Have You Ever ...  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Have You Ever ...
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:59:25 AM »
... found yourself literally scared while playing a UA design?

Whether you were creeped out by some visuals, sounds, text or combination thereof, or something startled you, or even a fear for your much beloved characters?

Offline JudgeDeadd

• There's a custom title box now?
  • A perfect day for a short walk around the world.
Re: Have You Ever ...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »
I'm not sure what design it was (perhaps CotFD), but it had an encounter with a "fomorian giant", preceded with a creepy travel through a dwarven mine.
“For one who claims to be no more than an observer of this play, you’ve had more than your share of commentary, stranger.”

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:53:49 PM »
HARVEST OF SORROWS by Dan (Cuomo) Crawford.  Scared me snotless. 

His ablility to create & enhance mood with his finely crafted, lyrical prose is a rare talent. 

The hacked music he chose pushed it all over the brink of bedwetting terror.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:39:24 AM »
The adventure "The Damned" had me sweating bullets as my characters tried to survive the night barricaded in an inn against a vampire.  That design was the best UA implementation of a vampire ever, even better than Ravenloft.

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »
HARVEST OF SORROWS by Dan (Cuomo) Crawford.  Scared me snotless. 

His ablility to create & enhance mood with his finely crafted, lyrical prose is a rare talent. 

The hacked music he chose pushed it all over the brink of bedwetting terror.
|sf>For me, it's happened with three modules and that was one of them.  Granted, I already knew it was scary going into that module, which probably reduced its fear impact.

The other two modules were Escape (This wasn't caused by a sound effect or graphics, but the premise itself of escaping from prison and worrying about being caught any second.) and Deal of Demon's Dead Demo (The first time I played that demo, the gunshot sound effect made me jump out of my skin.  I'm lucky that I didn't scream, because that really jolted me.  I did not expect that in the least, since I didn't think that FRUA sound effects could sound that realistic.).
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:46:58 AM »
I was recently scared by Olivier's DC module "The Lesson".... the ending was really startling, partly because it came so unexpectedly, partly because of the image used...
Released designs:

The Sect

anything