Author Topic: art requests for Dinonykos  (Read 37969 times)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
Re: art requests for Dinonykos
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 07:23:30 AM »
Great lists!  :D

I seem to like the very old critters (like ancient fish, etc.)...  Too bad there are no AD&D statistics for those simple-looking armored fishes, etc...  :P
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
Awesome Dinonykos. :D
I wager that Apatosaurus (the first entry) should be Anatosaurus, and it could be an OCR issue from when whomever scanned it in. :) I think we can assume that it is Anatosaurus.

I will gladly use any (and possibly all) dinosaur icons, as I have long had a plan for a side-quest that will involve dinosaurs. :D

Uatu, I bet between those of us on the forum here, you and Dinonykos most prominent amoung us can figure out some 1e stats by looking at other 1e critters and using the real-world info. :D

Not only does it look like we'll have a dinosaur expansion for the monster database, one could write up the stats for any "new" dinosaurs in a 1e format to be released to the greater AD&D community (I volunteer to do the write-up if we get that far).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:19:49 PM by manikus »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
Uatu, I bet between those of us on the forum here, you and Dinonykos most prominent amoung us can figure out some 1e stats by looking at other 1e critters and using the real-world info. :D

Not only does it look like we'll have a dinosaur expansion for the monster database, one could write up the stats for any "new" dinosaurs in a 1e format to be released to the greater AD&D community (I volunteer to do the write-up if we get that far).

Indeed, calculating reasonable values for additional species should not be that problematic. However, doing icons (and small pics) for the species/genera listed above will already take a while... :)

Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 02:32:32 PM »

Indeed, calculating reasonable values for additional species should not be that problematic. However, doing icons (and small pics) for the species/genera listed above will already take a while... :)

:)

I suggest you don't worry about doing all of them - it was just for reference really. :D I suggest you do the ones you want, whether they're on the list or not; and if they're not on the list then we make a set of stats for them. :D
However, if you want to do all of them, well who am I to stand in your way? :D :D :D

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »
I wager that Apatosaurus (the first entry) should be Anatosaurus, and it could be an OCR issue from when whomever scanned it in. :) I think we can assume that it is Anatosaurus.

Yeah, in any case I think we should perhaps be referring to "Anatosaurus" as an Edmontosaurus now. But I guess it is a bit funny to have dinosaurs in a fantasy setting named after a place in Canada where their bones were discovered.

I was a bit disappointed that Muttaburrasaurus didn't make the list.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 12:58:55 AM »
A lot of the "newer" dinosaur names are rather crappy, in my opinion...  like "Koreanosaurus" for example, or any of the bazillion Chinese dinosaurs that are proliferating these days (Xinjiangovenator, Zhejiangosaurus, etc.).  Putting country names into dinosaur names is kind of, well, strange, and as for the latter - do people know how to pronounce them or what?  :D  Are half-Latin and half-Chinese names allowed now?   :-[
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »

Yes, the first entry is most definitely "Anatosaurus (Trachodon)". The later entry is the "Apatosaurus (Brontosaurus)".
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
Thanks for the confirm, Nol. :)

Uatu, I think we should use the 'classic' names for our 1e (classic) DC version. If we can get on top of it, we could probably make half-"Faerunian", half-Latin names for the dinosaurs. :D :D :D

Steve - this list is just what is in the MM and MMII, but no means is it meant to restrict which dinosaurs can be in DC.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
Uatu, I think we should use the 'classic' names for our 1e (classic) DC version. If we can get on top of it, we could probably make half-"Faerunian", half-Latin names for the dinosaurs. :D :D :D

And perhaps rename some of the dinosaurs after their discoverers and after Faerun place names where they were discovered:

Phlanosaurus
Elminstersaurus

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 09:07:45 PM »
Tyraistlinnosaurus Rex
Tasselhoff Burrontosaurus

I'd also like to see the Pleistocene animals

Wooly Mulmasterodon
Shadowtooth Tigerdale

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 04:56:35 AM »
Perhaps the names could be even more site specific. Such as the Apatobrienosaurus which was discovered in a bar on Bourbon Street.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
...or the Twentyfivemainstreetcentralcityosaurus

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »
Not funny, but I thought this was an interesting little resource. :D

http://www.dinodictionary.com/index.asp

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
Are half-Latin and half-Chinese names allowed now?   :-[
Well, they are generally half-greek. half-latin anyway. When a new species is described, you as the author should explain why the name was given and what it means - names including geographic references are generally unproblematic, while more original names may cause problems (your publication may even be refused). On the other hand, even very strange names may be accepted. For example, crustacea from the Remipiedia group are often named after godzilla-movie monster (e.g., Pleomothra and Godzillognomus).
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »
In a time travel design, I can see the real names being important, but in an AD&D setting, the 'readl' names don't make much sense. First of all, why would the good people of Faerun or Greyhawk use Latin or Greek? :D
Secondly, since dinosaurs are still alive in the setting, they are likely in one area - like the "Great Lizard Planes" as opposed to being found all over by archaeologists Are there even archaeologists in AD&D?