Author Topic: The Sect - stuck  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Nukedemus

Re: The Sect - stuck
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
I have just found my way out (but still indoors) of a cave labyrinth, guided by a remote Gonfornino ("Go west!"). An undead hotel owner helped me in some way. There is a long corridor with two bar doors, and the vegetation room with the teleporters. Each step I take I am teleported somewhere else in the room. No matter what I try I do not get anywhere. :o

This feels like the part where once you figure out the puzzle you should feel really good about yourself and your intelligence. :)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 02:50:26 PM »
Aha! You're beneath Eddamissen! Check your PM.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »
I suppose that nologgie has already helped you with the PM, but I can assure you that the solution is really simple. ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Nukedemus

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »
Thanks, got it!

Offline aaminoff

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »
I am enjoying The Sect quite a lot. In general I really love the fact that you had better write down every piece of information you get anywhere because you will only hear it once. Unfortunately I have kids and don't always manage to be that disciplined.

So I got to Kemobe and the guards won't let me in. I wandered around trying to find the info (they hint that you should look in a library, I tried the library at Hytton, no luck). I finally went into the editor and got the answer by cheating, but now I am curious: where in the game does someone give you that info? I want to go back and listen to the story!

Offline aaminoff

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »
Never mind. I found it, mere minutes after posting.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 03:53:17 AM »
I am enjoying The Sect quite a lot.

:)

I'm glad that you enjoy the game so far and that you found the answer so quickly.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline aaminoff

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 02:27:11 PM »
OK, I am stuck again. I am in Potro and I need to break into the palace. I have mapped out the city, knocked or bashed down every door, found Korlex, both during the day and at night, searched most of the city. Cant figure out what to do to get in.

I need a hint please.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »
Have you been to the pub and tried the ominous drinks there?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline aaminoff

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »
I did try that, but not enough times apparently. All set now, thanks.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
It is generally advisable to get sloshed at any pub, whenever possible.  ;D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »
It is generally advisable to get sloshed at any pub, whenever possible.  ;D

this is good advice in real life, too :D
ST

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
this is good advice in real life, too :D

Looks like my game teaches some valuable life lessons. :D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline aaminoff

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »
> It is generally advisable to get sloshed at any pub, whenever possible.

Hm. So it is a question of play style and to what extent FRUA is about roleplaying.

I happen to not drink much alchohol - I'll have maybe a glass of wine once a month, if I have made a nice dinner that calls for it.

My party of adventurers reflects my personality to some extent as I wander around in the game world. They're careful. They don't go charging down random corridors willy-nilly. They do side-quests first to level up before tackling the hard stuff. At a pub, I usually try each of the drinks ONCE, to see if anything happens, but mashing the drink button a bunch of times just isn't my style.

So that being said, the convention in a fantasy adventuring world is that alchohol is plentiful and desirable and adventurers get roaring drunk every chance they get. OK, fair enough.

The suggestion I would make for The Sect is to include as one of the hints in a tavern (probably the very first one in Throx, since you need this near the very beginning) saying something like "Why stop at one? I'll have three more, bartender, you never know what might happen". Then there is a hint in game which an alert player or party can use to clue that this is necessary; it becomes a puzzle you can get satisfaction from solving.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 02:50:18 AM »
My party of adventurers reflects my personality to some extent as I wander around in the game world. They're careful. They don't go charging down random corridors willy-nilly. They do side-quests first to level up before tackling the hard stuff. At a pub, I usually try each of the drinks ONCE, to see if anything happens, but mashing the drink button a bunch of times just isn't my style.

Like tavern tales and tavern brawls, the way these events work is pretty much fixed in FRUA (see picture below).

Drinking two of the strongest drinks is the fastest possible way to trigger a tavern event. Since a tavern is a place to socialize with the locals, this seemed to me the best way to include events like being approached by stranges with dubious plans, once the party is slightly drunk. Being "drunk" has no other effect besides triggering these events, and drinks are always free.
Released designs:

The Sect