Poll

What other RPGs (pnp) do you all play or have in the past? (check the one most played)

D20 (non-DnD)
0 (0%)
TSR/DC Heroes
1 (7.7%)
Palladium RPGS (ex. Rifts, Ninja Turtles)
1 (7.7%)
Steve Jackson RPGs (GURPS, Car Wars)
2 (15.4%)
FASA RPGs (Shadowrun, Earthdawn?)
0 (0%)
WEG RPGs (Star Wars, Hercules, etc.)
0 (0%)
other... (leave comment, gammaworld)
7 (53.8%)
World of Darkness (Vamp, werewolf, Mage, Hunter, Scion, Wraith, etc.)
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: About "other" pencil and paper RPGs  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
Re: About "other" pencil and paper RPGs
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
Mage? Yah, instead of the old high concept where reality was subjective and mages could be anything from mad scientists to traditional wizards to shamans to martial artists in a four-way war between mages, technocrats, insane wizards, and demon-worshippers, now they're all communing with Atlantis and fighting a group of evil mages.

Lame...

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 05:56:31 AM »
...- all the traditions are gone (think classes, all you non-WoD people), the equivalent of alignment has been removed, points are calculated differently, and, um, they now look and smell funny. ;)

That is EXACTLY why I don't go to class reunions.

:D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
I was into Lejendary Adventure (by Gary Gygax) for a while...  however, I am too simple to be able to master two sets of complex rules at once (and I have done AD&D far longer, so...) :P
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 03:44:51 PM »
I klicked other since I played a home-made system for years with some friends. It was losely based on "Das schwarze Auge", but quite different.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline snoop

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »
I initially got into GURPS because of Car Wars and Autoduel. Oh my god, that was so long ago. :)

Because of this thread, I have recently been checking out what White Wolf is up to, and was very disheartened to see that they've "rebooted" their World of Darkness lines. I've mostly been reading about "Mage the Awakening" which is vastly different from "Mage the Ascension" and I've read that Vampire and Wereworlf went through similar changes. The analogy of AD&D going from 2e to 3e  pops to mind, but I think the change is much bigger than that, as everything from the old game is gone, many basic terms for game play have changed, and many of those that remain have changed meaning. Oh well. It's not like I was going to start playing it again, though I would still like to play a World of Darkness CRPG.

I'm playing in a new Mage: The Ascension chronicle after recently completing a long-running game which ran off-and-on for 14 years! Truly an epic experience... that game has coloured my life in many ways, most of them seemingly unrelated to gaming.  We'd have entire 6 hour sessions where no dice were ever rolled; more like a combination of improv theatre and applied philosophy than a game.  The new session is being run by one of the former players, I have high hopes but it will be hard to measure up with the previous game, which was run by a truly special storyteller.

We are completely ignoring the new WoD concept; they got rid of all the cool philosophy stuff to make it a more manageable rules system, but that's really what made Mage a special game.  It required a degree of cooperation between player and storyteller that is typically lacking in other RPG experiences.

I think the only way to run a Mage CRPG would be using a universal Turing machine programmed by a Virtual Adept... actually, that's not too far from the character concept I'm hoping to play in the new campaign!  ;D

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 12:18:52 PM »
I played the palladium series, specifically TMNT but with some branch out, and had an early box set of runequest.
Runequest was interesting. It had no hitpoints increase (just ability increase) and hit locations and separate armor and hp for those locations (like you could do a good roll and render someones arm useless, or cut it off, or just bounce of the armor). Problem was, it bogged down the play and action with too many rolls. I liked it, but it would have been better played on a computer so you don't have to roll dice so much.

ST

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 10:05:02 AM »
Mage and Call of Cthulhu.

There have been Vampire and Call of Cthulhu mods.

I wouldn't mind seeing more 'modern magic' mods, but Mage's magic system is just too freeform to do in FRUA.

anything