Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights Hub (Original 1991 version)  (Read 32275 times)

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
Re: Neverwinter Nights Hub (Original 1991 version)
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »
You might also give Forgotten World a try. I've been told that it's a spitting image of NWN:

http://www.forgottenworld.com/

Vix may be able to tell you more as she played NWN in the past. I missed that opportunity.  :(

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 06:27:51 PM »
All Gold Box games were turn-based, so how could this have been an online multi-player game? Did everyone have to wait until the next player makes his move?

Like manikus said, when it was your turn, you had about 10 seconds to move/ready/attack/cast/whatever before the next player or the computer moved a character)

Did you see other players move around in the 3D-view? Did every player have his own party, or were several players part of the same party?

You would see other characters in the combat view, just like you do during any Gold Box combat.  When in not in combat, you viewed through the 3-D or area view, just like in Gold Box.  Nearby characters were listed on the screen just like your party members in traditional Gold Box.  There were no parties per se.  Instead, you could wander around with whoever you wanted, even selecting a FOLLOW command to keep up with another character.  When a combat broke out, all characters in that square were drawn into the combat. 

You could either "speak" (text message) so that all nearby characters "heard" your words, or send a message to a single character via "telepathy."

Offline ghaaroth

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 01:09:37 AM »
Weeell... Ubi Soft didn't make NWN or GSF/TSF so much as acquire the company that did (SSI then Stormfront Studios development house), though they were entirely responsible for Ruins of Myth Drannor and fluffing up that pile of poop just before taking a gamble and buying Stormfront... it did not pay off, and NWN's nonrelated noncousin in Bioware's Neverwinter Nights overtook pretty much every feasible competitor by a long margin soon after.

I spoke not of Ubisoft but of Beyond Software who then turned into Stormfront studios.

Offline ghaaroth

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 01:20:23 AM »
As someone who did not play this back in the day, can anyone tell me why the levels are capped at such a relatively low level? I couldn't get a fighter passed the 11th level, or a multi-class fighter/mage passed 8/8.

It had hard level limit of 11 (10 for ranger, paladin and probably cleric), plus 1st ed crippling demihuman level limits like other GB games did. Perhaps they just didn't want to bother coding abilities and monsters beyond those they already did for GSF :D

It seems that people would have met these levels  in a shorter period of time than AOL would have wanted to take their money from them for. :)

NWN was produced before someone invented the "to keep them paying, make them meaninglessly grind xp for years" paradigm. Basically, all the fun began once you maxed out your 10/11 cleric-mage, paladin-mage or ranger-mage. It was then when serious pvp or daring solo raids began. Dunno, it worked for those people willing to shell out thousands of bucks for paid-by-hour AOL dialup monthly.

Baron Lager

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »
You might also give Forgotten World a try. I've been told that it's a spitting image of NWN:

http://www.forgottenworld.com/

Vix may be able to tell you more as she played NWN in the past. I missed that opportunity.  :(

That community seems to be still active, just not sure what kind of numbers they are drawing.  I gave that a try a couple of years ago and it was fun to see what had been done to preserve the NWN game over there.  Looks like a lot of hard work.  Whenever I went on though, I rarely spotted another player online.  This is one of those things that would be really fun to do if you got a good group together, but rather lonely doing alone. 

Offline ghaaroth

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 10:55:47 AM »
True that. I really wanted to love Forgotten World, but an online multiplayer game with no one online just doesn't work :( I could just as well play NWN offline beta.

Perhaps we should organize and pay a collective visit? :D

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 05:04:59 PM »
True that. I really wanted to love Forgotten World, but an online multiplayer game with no one online just doesn't work :( I could just as well play NWN offline beta.

Coincidentally, was embarked on here before, and a worthwhile endeavor again.

Baron Lager

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 08:51:31 AM »

Thanks for that link.  So it looks like a few of you had some fun over there.  I'm not even sure what computer I have FW saved on - - - might have to track it down and see how it is these days.

Offline ghaaroth

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 09:24:47 AM »

Looks like I missed the fun by a year :D

Baron Lager

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
I fired it up yesterday and poked around for a while.  I was reminded how frustrating it can be to solo and get any xp.  More fun for groups I'm sure.  I'm still impressed how much those guys over at Forgotten World have done to maintain the original NWN.

Offline ghaaroth

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
It seems someone is developing a DOXbox version with savestates. It could be of major help in exploring offline NWN.

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=25274

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »
It seems someone is developing a DOXbox version with savestates. It could be of major help in exploring offline NWN.

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=25274

Thanks for the link. That was an interesting read. This could be quite useful for someone who has their machine on all the time, but I don't know how much help it will be to those of us using DOSBox on our laptops. :)
I'll follow the discussion further thoug, as he doesn't seem to be against saving between sessions as much as he just doesn't know how to easily do it.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 09:26:34 PM »
Game difficulty is meant for a multiplayer, more than one PC, party. Offline is currently single PC. To top that off, there is no ability to alter the level of difficulty. There is only the editor in GM > Wealth.
Edit:
DosBox Hot keys
Ctrl + F1: keyboard layout
Ctrl + F9: close game.
(I thought these were NWN game keys but then I found they were DosBox hot keys.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:54:42 PM by Ishad Nha »

Offline ghaaroth

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 06:01:42 AM »
Game difficulty is meant for a multiplayer, more than one PC, party. Offline is currently single PC. To top that off, there is no ability to alter the level of difficulty. There is only the editor in GM > Wealth.

I used to successfully solo all hardest encounters with a maxed (ranger/mage 10/11) character back when the game was online. Beholders and iron golems encounter at NW sewers, all the dracolich spawn points. It *was* hard, but doable with right spells and proper tactics.

Difficult times are before you have maxed, that's when you needed somebody else to back you up :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 03:42:09 PM »
Well, with the "GM" button, it's not a problem at all - you can max your harcter out in a few minutes, and give it a +1000 longsword and an AC of -1000. Not very fun for playing, but good for mapping and art grabbing.

Or you could just be more bored and turn off combat or be invisible (also through "GM").

anything