Author Topic: Items documentation  (Read 1778 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Items documentation
« on: August 08, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »
I'm looking for a file, either a text file or spreadsheet, that for items, contains all of the names, costs, encumberances and XP value (at a minimum).

I've read the item and items text files, and they list the names but not the other information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: Items documentation
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:04:50 PM »
Wish I could help you, Manikus. At one time, I ~did~ have a document exactly like that. It also housed corresponding information as to which store the item could be found, as well as the item class and pointer numbers. I even had a code for what classes could use and if it was 2-handed (for weapons). It was hand-written on a yellow legal pad. LOL

Alas, all that (and other notes) were long lost.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »
D'oh! :)

So close...perhaps one of the other fine persons here has something like this.

If not, I will eventually have to create this myself and I will make sure and share it if/when I do.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:28:09 PM »
You examined the FAQ at Rosedragon? That gives a lot of information on item data.
I will check my spreadsheets, I recall doing something with the items.
Edit:
Here is a spreadsheet that may help...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:51:22 PM by Ishad Nha »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 01:14:11 AM »
I have read all of the documentation as pertains to items. :) What I've really been wanting was what you so graciously uploaded. :D Thanks a bunch.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 03:48:03 AM »
 :o WOW!  :o
Awesome Spreadsheet! Thanks for posting it.

Hey Manikus,
 I'm operating on the assumption that when you said you wanted XP values, you meant those listed in the DMG. I didn't see them on the other spreadsheet (which isn't surprising since FRUA doesn't use them), so I added those I could find to a workbook I had.
 Some (much?) of the data seems contradictory, and some is simply blank. I also left some of my old notes, but I deleted most of the extraneous stuff. I hope you find it useful.

Tom
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:34:20 AM by nologgie »
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:03:16 AM »
Those tables were easy to construct because they had a constant number of columns. By contrast, monst.glb does not.
If you want to create such tables yourself, at least one hex editor, Data Workshop, can export hex data with a line width specified by the user. (Most cannot, the spreadsheets are usually done with Hexplorer.) If you need to use Data Workshop, it usually does not work because it generates two defective xml files, dataWorkshop.xml and editor.xml. Delete these and the Workshop will work.  Normally I then paste the data into a Word document and change all the white spaces to tabs.  Then I paste into a spreadsheet. (A tab in Word equates to a new cell in Excel when the data is pasted in there.)
Ironworks Forum is down again?!

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:54:33 AM »
Thanks! That sounds really neat. If I can figure one of them out, I can stop typing all this in.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:12:40 AM by nologgie »
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:27:33 AM »
I should have explained why I want this, huh? :) I wanted exactly what was in the first attachment and also exactly what was in the second attachment. :D I'm working on making sure the DC items database is equivalent to the FRUA database., but DC has more fields, so I also need to make sure that the data for the extra fields come from 1e when possible.

I did notice some errors in your spreadsheet, Ishad Nha. In the encumbrance and price fields, you only calculated the value in the first byte, 4 and 6 respectively. There are 20 items for encumbrance that use byte 5 and about 2/3 of the prices use byte 7.

Just like with the name, FRUA reads the encumberance and price bytes backwards. So, banded mail for example has the bytes, 5E 01 listed for encumbrance (in hex). But, FRUA reads this as 15E (hex) or 300(decimal).

I'm sure there is an equation one could work out to have your spreadsheet do this for you, but that would take me much longer than just doing it by hand. :) When I get done, I will post my work in the thread here.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 04:53:15 PM »
Well, it turns out there actually is an easy way to to combine the two necessary bytes for calculating encumbrance and price. :)

I've attached my spreadsheet which is not that much my own work. :D

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
Monst.glb has a table of contents that tells you exactly where each entry starts, it won't be that tough getting data sorted according to monster types.

I don't know if you are planning to use a hex editor to paste any hex data into a file.  Hexplorer for one requires that two digits be used for every byte or else. It reads data in pairs of digits, so unless you use two digits per byte ALWAYS, you will have data corruption. I use "=DEC2HEX(cell#,2)" to make sure that it comes out right.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 09:06:41 AM »
Monst.glb has a table of contents that tells you exactly where each entry starts, it won't be that tough getting data sorted according to monster types.

I don't know if you are planning to use a hex editor to paste any hex data into a file.  Hexplorer for one requires that two digits be used for every byte or else. It reads data in pairs of digits, so unless you use two digits per byte ALWAYS, you will have data corruption. I use "=DEC2HEX(cell#,2)" to make sure that it comes out right.

I'm not sure if this is aimed at nologgie or at me, but I use a great little free hex editor called XVI32. :) One of my favorite features is that you can adjust the number of columns in your display, so reading the item.dat file was easy at 18 columns wide.

I included the hex data in my spreadsheet upload, you just have to scroll down past the table.

I'm not interested in hacking with a hex editor, but that function is a very good suggestion. :)

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »
Hexplorer also lets you adjust the number of columns at will. But when you export the data it is always exported in lines of exactly 16 bytes.  Before I found out about Data Workshop, I had to paste the data into Word, delete all the paragraph marks and use a macro to put the marks where I wanted them.
Edit:
I still use that method for creating tables of functions, like the line 480 of the Save Decryptor page in the spreadsheet I uploaded. First use Fill Down to create the desired number of cells, then turn the formulas into text by Replace All, replace the initial equality signs with equality signs preceded by an apostrophe. Then paste it into Word, and use a macro to insert the paragraph marks in the right places.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:48:00 PM by Ishad Nha »