Author Topic: Hacking Starting Equipment  (Read 1537 times)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Hacking Starting Equipment
« on: July 15, 2009, 06:49:48 AM »
  Nothing new here, I just reorganized some known data into a format I found more usable, and I'm posting it in the hope that someone else might find it useful as well.
Tom
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:18:30 PM by nologgie »
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: Hacking Starting Equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:25:32 AM »
Thanks, Tom! I didn't even know it was possible, probably because I don't know anything about CKIT hacking in the first place and always tried to stay clear of it if it didn't look like child's play. Your text file is easy to understand though and apparently changing the starting equipment is child's play after all.

Newbie-friendly documentation goes a long way (and I consider myself a noob as far as hacking is concerned). I'd definitely like to do some experimenting with the information provided.
 :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:27:17 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »
 >:( AAAARRRRGGGGGH!!! >:(

I just re-read my text, and realized I left out the [space] between old and new values.  The new text file is fixed.
Tom

p.s. The hard part was done by the guys who figured it out. The hex editing is easy. Just remember to make back-ups.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:42:01 AM »
Realm Equipment Hack

Ray Dyer's 'The Ream' series is among the most popular, and definitely the most plentiful, of FRUA designs. Ray created the series as a continuing campaign, and characters are to be transferred between modules to progress. Created characters start with zero experience, no equipment, and 35 coins, regardless of the module level.

Other authors using the 'Realm Hack' may want to provide starting equipment to characters, but due to extensive revision of the item files, simply changing the starting equipment level will yield surprising, and probably undesired, results. I've attached an item list based on Game00 to help any designer who wants to provide starting equipment in a Realm-based game.
Tom

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:01:59 AM »
That's another helpful list. Thanks! :)

Offline Ray

• Tour The Realm!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 05:13:03 PM »

Yeah, way back when (About ten years ago???), I thought it would have been cool to be able to adjust the Starting Equipment lists for the Realm games.  Then I learned that I would have to master hex editing for that.  So...I went the easy way.  It's a campaign setting, after all.  It might have been nice to be able to start a game at twelfth level for Tomb of Horrors, but I've never run a game that way at the table...and I couldn't figure out the whole "Starting Equipment" puzzle to make it happen on the computer... 

I wish you all the best of luck if this is of use to anyone planning a Realm design!!!

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »
So, Ray, did you give up on that idea of a level-up option in Game00?  ;D

I still haven't started playing Tomb of Horrors because of that level and items gap. At the moment I'm stuck between Journey to the Rock (SE) and Curse of Xanathon, probably waiting for someone to build me a bridge.  :D

I replayed one of the mini-adventures in Game00 - I have no problems with that, they're short and sweet - but I can't bring myself to spend hours playing a traditional PnP mod again if I already know the design (plot, text and graphics) even though I enjoyed it the first time... That's why I'm more into NWN at the moment - which reminds me to play Shadows Falling one of these days, by one Chaderick, I think.  ;)

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 07:47:12 PM »
Very useful stuff nologgie, thank you!

Unfortunately, this has come late enough that I have already implemented a different way to equip a party starting out in a Realms-compatible mod, but this is and should be a default go-to for budding future Game00.dsn designs.

Offline Ray

• Tour The Realm!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »

Oh, man, Olivier! 

I totally forgot about that!   :-[

I've got to zip that up and upload it to Rosedragon!!! 

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 06:02:25 PM »
Hey, no problem. I'm actually quite surprised you'd have it at the ready. I thought it was just an idea. Great news! :)

In order not to derail the thread any more than I already did, I'm going to send you a PM.

anything