Author Topic: Wowsers!  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
Re: Wowsers!
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 05:57:37 AM »
At least I've a bit of progress made.  The thing that I'm working on is locating the memory address that is pertinent to what I want to adjust.  Since differing versions, machines and users will have different experiences, I'm trying to make it dynamic.  This still isn't solid; so, I'll keep trying.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 08:45:49 AM »
Tried with new version. Same results. Nada.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 04:20:49 PM »
It appears that I need to learn more about how to handle dynamic memory.  :(

In the meanwhile, if anyone would like to run Sysinternal's VMMap and let me know a couple of addresses that would be awful nice.  VMMap is free to use and fairly easy to get what I want.  Have your DOSBoxed FRUA running and then run VMMap.  Select the dosbox.exe process and then VMMap will be filled with a bunch of data.  On the bottom select, click Size and then scroll back to the top.  One address is usually 00400000 and is an Image Type.  There should be another large address of the Private Type.  In my case it's 03280000.  I'd be curious to see what other folks have.

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 04:36:16 PM »
 |sf>I ran the first program.  My settings are the following:  Found: 62068243  The coordinates match which ever location I happen to stand.  I used EGA.dsn as the test module.  Granted, I'm not using D-Fend or DOSBox to run that UACoordinate program; I'm just running it in straight windows.  Obviously, those settings are with UAShell version 6.30A and DosBox version 0.65.

As for the second program, I also have that 00400000 Image line.  Its size is 27,604 K. On mine, that's the largest one by size.  My second largest has a setting of 03830000 and it's yellow private with a size of 16,388 K.  Granted, this is all Greek to me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:49:42 PM by Rosestar »
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »
Thanks again for working on this!

Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »
Greetings!

@Suzanne: Glad things worked for you.  The way Windows is handling your memory coincides pretty closely with mine and that's why the program works.  In contrast, we have nologgie.

@nologgie: Very interesting.  In a nutshell, DOSBox is dropping FRUA's CKIT.EXE program into this larger memory address.  In the case of Suzanne and I that address is around 03xxxxxx.  Your's dropped in the 07xxxxxx area.  I was nowhere close to searching that area.

I've been making some progress on learning a bit about memory.  As I get bored (usually overwhelmed) by that I move back into the functionality of UA Inject.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
Sometimes when I hit my head on the wall for a while I like to move on to something else until the muse strikes again.  So...

...I've created two custom events that work nicely within FRUA.  You'll be able to play MP3s or WAVs during gameplay!  I've not added any real logic to the events yet beyond playing music when you're on a square and stopping it when you leave. It's kind of nice to have some upbeat music playing during battle!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 11:19:40 PM »
MP3s and WAV support is awesome.

Alright, here are my screenshots for VMMap. That's right multiple to get the info you wanted.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6421/image1jgc.png

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9848/image2u.png

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2364/image3kfv.png

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2009, 07:13:24 AM »
I hope the information you seek is contained within these screenshots. The first is from running UA under DOSbox through D-Fend, the second UA under DOSbox only (both times using UAShell).

Strangely, I don't have a "private" entry anywhere near the size of the "image" entry. I don't know if this could be connected to using a dual-core processor? Or maybe that's just a plain stupid assumption that betrays my complete ignorance of computer technics.   :D

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2009, 08:29:33 AM »
This'll be my last test program for UA Coordinates this weekend.  Please try running UA through DOSBox without UAShell and then with UAShell and see if either works for you.  I've tested it many times on my machine and also within a VirtualBox machine and it works in both.  Of course, several of the other iterations did too!  Much thanks!

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2009, 08:49:12 AM »
  I just tried it, and now I get blank boxes both ways.
  Oh well, have a great weekend!
Tom
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »
  I just tried it, and now I get blank boxes both ways.
  Oh well, have a great weekend!
Tom

Ditto. Sorry.  :(

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »
Mine seems to load at 0B0B0000.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »
The third version of your UACoords is still blank for me as well.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2009, 06:32:56 PM »
Greetings!

Just a small update and a sneak peak to things to come.  Events that you'd like UA Inject to handle are stored in a file called "UAInject.csv".  It is a pipe-delimited file that includes everything I think needs to make up an event based on the same information you can find in Nol Drek's Geoevent.txt file.

Code: [Select]
'Map|Horizontal|Vertical|Event #|Event Type #|Do Only Once Flag|Condition to Check For|Chain to Event #|Byte5|Byte6|Byte7|Byte8|Byte9|Byte10|Byte11|Byte12|Byte13|Byte14|Byte15|Byte16|Byte17|Byte18|Byte19|Byte20|String1|String2|String3|String4|String5|String6
'Refer to Geoevent.txt for more details

5|1|1|1|11|0|0|0|0|0|0|136|5|7|2|0|0|1|5|0|0|0|0|0||"AFTER THEY FIND YOU TRYING TO ESCAPE, THE SAVAGES RETURN YOU TO YOUR CELL."||||

Things are progressing at a nice clip; but, are nowhere close to release-worthy yet.  Everytime I think I'm getting close to releasing something to play with, I get a setback of some sort.  Some of them are things that I'm going to ignore until a later release and some are things that just take some mental creativity.  I almost wish that I had spent more time learning to hack FRUA instead of playing modules.

anything