Author Topic: Wowsers!  (Read 6779 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Wowsers!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 09:19:22 AM »
Again, let me say, "Wow!" :D Changing walls and backdrops would be awesome.

Do you think changing other graphics would be possible too? I think more than one person has mentioned a desire to be able to change the frames in game. I know I would like to be able to. :)

As far as taking your time - by all means take all the time you need. :) This is going to be just as cool whenever we can use it. ;)

Oh, and if you need a tester at any point, I volunteer. :)

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 07:24:03 AM »
Greetings Folks!

I'm hoping that I can do a bit of testing and gain some information.  I've written a small program that will let me know what the memory address is for a location in the game.  Right now, I'm only expecting that a player is using DOSBox to play FRUA.  I believe the use of front ends such as D-Fend make no difference to the location as it doesn't for me.  I've not developed the logic to test for FRUA by itself.

I'd like you to run FRUA through DOSBox and enter a dungeon (I've done nothing with overlands yet, so I've no idea what the coordinates will show).  It doesn't matter if you're playing an existing module or testing a dungeon.  Run my program and hopefully you'll receive information similar to this:

If the memory address is found, double-check the horizontal and vertical coordinates to what the game shows.  They match in my example.  ;D

If so, copy/paste the address and reply to my post here, PM me, or email me.  I'm also curious what version of DOSBox that you're running.  So, here's my data:

Found: 52958739
DOSBox 0.72

The file to run is UACoords which is in the archive here.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »
How exciting! :) I assume it doesn't matter if we are using UAShell?

I assume that this will not work for those of us running DOSBox on Linux to play our FRUA? I assume this because I just tried it and UACoords cannot find DOSBox while it's running. I think that is probably because it uses WINE to run UACoords...but I'm not sure.

I will try it on my XP machine a little later today, though. I promise. :)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 09:53:36 AM »
I use D-Fend as a front-end for DOSBox v0.65 via WinXP running UAShell on an unhacked design..

I tried running UACoords before and after UA loaded and I entered a dungeon. It tells me DosBox is not loaded when I open if before, then does nothing after i begin playing. If opened after i begin playing, all fields remain blank.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 10:07:49 AM »
I ran UAShell with DOSBox 0.72 on Win Vista Home Premium (without front-end), applied a vanilla design, started it and made a few steps in the first dungeon, loaded UA Coordinates and got the same result as Vix: all fields remain blank.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »
OK, I just tried as well. I was using DOSBox 0.73 on XP Pro. I do not use front-ends for it, so, um, no front-ends. :D I tried running it with UAShell and without UAShell, and had the same results as Vix and Olivier - blank boxes.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »
Much thanks, folks. It appears that I need to dig a little deeper into this.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »
Running DOSBox 0.72 with XP Pro SP3, with both start.bat and UAShell, I get:
  Found: 52953087
  Coordinates 255, 255
Regardless of location or GEO file loaded.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 12:59:37 PM »
Does it matter from which location UA Coordinates is run, what other windows/progs are opened and if UA is run in full scrren or window mode?

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »
Greetings!

If you're up for it, please give the program another go.  I'm not saying it's going to work for everyone--but I can hope! For those that had blank boxes, that meant that my program found DOSBox successfully; but, didn't find the address.  Hopefully, they won't be blank this time.

@manikus: Nope, I seriously doubt it'll work in Linux since I'm screwing around in the memory.

@vix: You're right.  You need to have FRUA running first before running my program.  Of course, between me and you, I don't like your computer as it's never liked any of my programs.  :-\

@Olivier: It shouldn't matter where UA Coordinates is run as it's self-sufficient and simply scanning some memory addresses.  It also shouldn't be impacted by any other programs running as Windows separates the memory spaces.  I've successfully run FRUA and UA Coordinates in full-screen and windowed mode.

@nologgie:  It's good that found something; but, I doubt those were accurate coordinates!

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 07:19:11 PM »
With UAShell or straight UA I now always get:
  Found: 67704340
  H 14 V 219
In two different modules, regardless of map coordinates.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 08:45:21 PM »
Still blank. :(

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »
Still blank for me as well. :(

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »
Running DOSBox 0.72 under Windows XP (with Service Pack 3), I got the following results:

Found: 59840019
H 9   V 7

I didn't go through UAShell, as I had already applied the hack to a module I was tooling around with yesterday.  I loaded UA via the "start.bat" file in DOSBox (I run DOSBox with no front-end either).

Moving around inside the module and reloading the program changed the coordinates so that they always matched the map coordinates of my current location (I assume that was the desired effect).  The top number didn't change.

EDIT: Additional Info

I should also point out that I ran both the programs in Windows (not full screen) while also having open my Firefox web browser and the "My Computer" window opened to the directory where I unzipped the program for testing.  (Not sure if any of this makes a difference, but I figured I'd cover all the bases).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:18:15 AM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 05:40:22 AM »
Tried it again today - I don't know if I did something wrong yesterday because this time I got something. Still not the right coordinates though. The address was always 67704340, the coordinates were 0, 109 first and 247, 130 when I tried again. Don't ask me why they changed. Both times I tried to start UA (a) like explained in my first post, (b) directly, without UAShell (both a and b in fullscreen mode), (c) via D-Fend (in window mode). I always got the same results.

anything