Author Topic: Newbie Designer Needs a Lot of Help  (Read 2389 times)

Ivarcles

Newbie Designer Needs a Lot of Help
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »
I've played around with the UA editor a couple years back and started work on a few designs that didn't get too far. There was one though that I've decided I really want to try creating again. It's a short, introductory mod that would be a starting point for other adventures. I would like to try doing some hacks for it, but am going to need some help learning how. So I'm just going to post my questions all on this thread so as not to spam the boards with my queries.

One question I have is what's a good program to work with .pcx images? I'm using Windows XP and it seems that Paint does not support this file format. Seems kind of strange as Paintbrush worked fine with .pcx.

Also, I read on the boards that you can use HACK CKIT to disable the password protection on a design. I want to do that so as to make it easier to get into my design as I work on it, but I can't seem to get HACK CKIT to work. When I go to UAShell and try to open CKITHACK.MNY I get an error message that says it's not in my Programs subdirectory. But when I look in Programs, there are a lot of files starting with CKIT and I would think that it should be there. What am I missing here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Newbie Designer Needs a Lot of Help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »
One question I have is what's a good program to work with .pcx images? I'm using Windows XP and it seems that Paint does not support this file format. Seems kind of strange as Paintbrush worked fine with .pcx.
Forget MS Paint.

I use a rather obscure program (Micrografx Picture Publisher) that I've gotten used to somehow.
If you have photoshop or paint shop pro, you could use these.
If you want to use a free image manipulation program, you could try gimp: http://www.gimp.org/
I'm not sure about the pcx support, however. I think you need a plugin for that.

Also, I read on the boards that you can use HACK CKIT to disable the password protection on a design. I want to do that so as to make it easier to get into my design as I work on it, but I can't seem to get HACK CKIT to work. When I go to UAShell and try to open CKITHACK.MNY I get an error message that says it's not in my Programs subdirectory. But when I look in Programs, there are a lot of files starting with CKIT and I would think that it should be there. What am I missing here?
If it's your own design, I would just disable the password protection (delete the password in the global settings menu).

If by password you mean UA's copy protection (manual check), you can disable it with this program: http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/misc/ckit-crk.zip
Just unzip it in your UA folder and run it once.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »
I've played around with the UA editor a couple years back and started work on a few designs that didn't get too far. There was one though that I've decided I really want to try creating again. It's a short, introductory mod that would be a starting point for other adventures. I would like to try doing some hacks for it, but am going to need some help learning how. So I'm just going to post my questions all on this thread so as not to spam the boards with my queries.

|sf>I use Paint Shop Pro, but I suggest you use your computer's search function to find the location of a PCX file on your computer instead of automatically hunting for a new program.  When it finds it, double-click on the file name.  That should load the program which can view or edit PCX files.  If it's only a viewer, then you need to hunt down a new program that can use PCXs.
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Ivarcles

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses. I managed to find a free program online that allowed me to open .pcx files. Then I converted the file format so I could manipulate it with MS Paint. But the problem is that I am not able to get it to import properly into UA. I remember doing this a couple of years ago and getting it to work, but I can't seem to figure it out now. The funny thing is that all I am trying to do at the moment is to make a blank pic, basically a blacked out screen. It's something I want to use for dramatic effect. So I take the eye dropper in paint, pick the color on the palette that I want, fill the screen and save. After converting into .pcx, I go to import in UA but I get a blank grey screen instead of the black that I wanted. Not sure what I am doing wrong here.  ???

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 04:43:39 PM »
My guess is when you edit that pic in MS Paint the palette (perhaps even the color depth) is changed. Unfortunately .pcx is not the only requirement for the pic to work with UA, it mustn't use more than 256 colors (perhaps even a bit less?) and you probably need to adjust the palette with UA256 (read me).

Sometimes pasting the modified pic into the opened .pcx pic and saving it with your .pcx viewer (instead of converting the MS Paint pic) might do the trick, too.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 07:58:34 PM »
Small Pics need to be 88 x 88 pixels and 224 colors or under.

UA uses 224 colors for Small and Big Pics. The first 32 colors on the palette are used for other art resources (Frame, & Always).

It is best if you add a 1 pixel border around your Small Pic image (color irrelevant) to make it 90 x 90 pixels for use in UA256 conversion.

UA256 dislikes pics with any odd number. So either crop, expand, or border the image to make it an even number. (i.e. 87 x 88 bad, 88 x 88 good -- 121 x 93 bad, 120 x 94 good)

Ivarcles

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »
Oliver and Vix,

Thanks for the advice. I tried running UA256 but I get an error message that says it can't find the palette in the file and then I get a file back of 0KB. Not sure what is going wrong.

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 10:22:12 PM »
Is the file you are attempting to run through UA256 a PCX file?

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
Oliver and Vix,

Thanks for the advice. I tried running UA256 but I get an error message that says it can't find the palette in the file and then I get a file back of 0KB. Not sure what is going wrong.
|sf>That's easy to answer.  You need to reduce the picture to 256 colors or less.  Otherwise, the picture won't have a palette and you can't run it through UA256. 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 01:53:46 AM »
Just in case your .pcx viewer doesn't offer options to reduce the color depth to 224, I find IrfanView a good tool for picture editing like that and it's free too.

Ivarcles

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »
I downloaded IrfanView as Oliver suggested and tried to reduce the color depth. It still didn't work though. And yes, Vix, it is a .pcx file. I had downloaded another program to just to convert it to .pcx format after I messed with it in Paint.

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 02:03:24 PM »
Do me a favor and upload the the pre-pcx'd version of the file you created in MS Paint and the file you tried running through UA256. I'll take a look at them and see if I can figure out what is wrong. Just attach them to a post in the forums here. You can remove them later when we are done poking them. :)

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 12:51:01 PM »
Heh am I the only one who still uses DPaint?

I find it so much easier to paint in the same resolution that the art will be viewed in at maximum size, along with the ability to use the colors as tri numbers instead of really needing to 'see' what the color itself looks like.

Plus, I am nostalgic.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 01:33:42 PM »
Heh am I the only one who still uses DPaint?

I find it so much easier to paint in the same resolution that the art will be viewed in at maximum size, along with the ability to use the colors as tri numbers instead of really needing to 'see' what the color itself looks like.

I sometimes use an old DOS paint program with 300x200 resolution an visible palette, too, but only for pixel work, like editing combat icons, or recoloring of walls and frame parts. Then again, regarding Pics I wouldn't say that I "paint" at all and I'm much more comfortable with cropping images, copying and pasting in Windows.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 04:48:03 AM »
I still use DPaint 2 and DPaint Animation. The MS Dos version is a real let-down from the Amiga versions (I had 3 and 4), but they work well for FRUA.
Tom
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

anything