Author Topic: I've Been Framed  (Read 985 times)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
I've Been Framed
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:37:18 AM »
Can the Frame files use colors from the first 16 slots? I know those are the Always slots, but will it affect the Frame or game in any adverse way to use those color slots?

Also, toolbox seems to allow import of the Gen and Menu files, but I did not see anything for the Frame1 and Frame2 files. Am I missing something? I know i can use FrameEdit, and have in the past, but if Toolbox is one stop shopping for it, I'd be happy.

In UANL #25 are two different tutorials on creating frames. Are there any others? I am also looking for a file written by John Rudy (I believe) called FrameDesc or something which describes how each part of the frame files work and where they go, etc.

Offline hans

Re: I've Been Framed
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 02:40:15 PM »
Can the Frame files use colors from the first 16 slots? I know those are the Always slots, but will it affect the Frame or game in any adverse way to use those color slots?

Yes, you can use those colors.  In fact, the default frameset uses a couple, I believe (gray ones).  Problems will only arise when someone replaces the Always set using different colors than those that the Frameset was tailored to.  That will change those colors in the Frameset, too, of course. 

The Always colors never change at any time during the game, so using those colors is safe, in that respect.  A number of the default combat icons use the Always colors, as well, and this never becomes a problem except when new Always colors are hacked in. 

For my upcoming EGA mod, practically every piece of art will use the Always set, almost exclusively, since I only need 16 colors (plus an transparency slot, sometimes).

Also, toolbox seems to allow import of the Gen and Menu files, but I did not see anything for the Frame1 and Frame2 files. Am I missing something? I know i can use FrameEdit, and have in the past, but if Toolbox is one stop shopping for it, I'd be happy.

I still use FrameEdit.  Why TOOLBOX doesn't handle those, IIRC, is that to make drop-in .TLBs, it would need to use separate templates for each of the very many individual parts, which was deemed too complicated.