Author Topic: Driving Myself Up A Wall  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: Driving Myself Up A Wall
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
They are transparent. What you see in the images above is how Toolbox shows them after importing.

I have tried each set individually. Each crashes out FRUA.

I have totally reworked (well, am doing it right now) each wall set and will import and try again. I'll let you all know how it goes. If it bombs out, I will put it on hold because i am not going to let it hold up more designing.

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »
Well, after several tests, retires, and do-overs, I have come to the conclusion that imported (drop-in) wall art cannot be over 26k. In fact, it is best if it is under that.

Any wall set created which was over 26k froze up when that geo was accessed by the game engine. Wall sets under 26k worked fine in any slot I tested, even with multiple sets under 26k each.

So, now I need to try to find a way to get all the art I wanted into a set that will be under 26k. =/

That is for tomorrow, however.

Offline Merle

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »
Vix, that's a harsh limitation. I checked some of my drop-in walls, and I have a few that are over 30 KB.  However, when I actually examined them to find out which wall they were, it turns out that they are all the standard walls, just in drop-in format.  All of my custom walls are under 26 KB.

One thing you could try doing is just leave one of the slots blank.  For instance, you have the same door in Slot #2 and Slot #3.  I just made a PCX that was filled with the transparent color so I wouldn't have to worry about which template the walls were using.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 09:27:17 AM »
Well, after several tests, retires, and do-overs, I have come to the conclusion that imported (drop-in) wall art cannot be over 26k. In fact, it is best if it is under that.

That's strange, the design I was recently working on has all kinds of custom drop-in wall sets ranging from 28-34k and so far I haven't had any trouble with that. When I checked on some other working designs on the file archive, I noticed they use wall sets over 30k, too. I wonder what's causing you these issues?
 ???

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 10:01:48 AM »
It may be the same thing that causes some people with long xmi music to crash them while others can run them fine.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »
But did you ever have a custom design (beside your own one) crashing because of wall sets? Ben's HOS1 for example contains a 32kb wall set, too...  :-\

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
nope. hmmm, I think I'll try that wall in my design and see what happens.

I tested all mine in a fresh dsn folder. Still crashed on over 26ks.

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 11:59:50 AM »
I located and installed walls over 26k and up to 44k(!!!) with no freezing/crashing.

Apparently it is something I am doing, or my system is doing, when I make wallsets over 26k

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
Ok, wall size does not matter.

what does matter is that you set the color-cycling information when you import the first wall. If you don't, you'll freeze up your game!

Tested with setting the cycling on the first wall, and viola ... it worked with no freezing.

Now I need to figure out what the RANGE button is for in the color cycling choices.  =/

Offline Merle

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »
I've always set the range to the number of colors in the cycle.  At least, that's what I assumed it was for.

I am glad you found the source of the problem!  Too bad it took so much work to track down.  :-\

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »
Seeing as how I was able to get the walls working, I also decided to condense them and lose objects which were not visually working as well as I'd like. So, instead of three new wall sets, I only have two.

I reworked several of Kaz-Kieth's wall elements into the Wood B set. I am not entirely happy with the window, and may tweak it at a future date.

I also spent a little while tooling around attempting to make a table. I succeeded in some respects, failed miserably in others. I can make it look reasonably good in Near views, both front and sides. Close and Far frontal views also look good. However the Close and Far side views are ... lacking.

I know what needs ot be done to create the object illusion, but unfortunately the wall limitations seriously hinder it looking anything remotely acceptable at this time. I may revisit those sort of objects at a future time.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:13:23 PM by Vix »

Offline Merle

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »
One thing I have considered doing for objects as walls is ignoring the near and far side views completely, and using only the close up side view.  Then instead of placing it as a single wall, I build a one-sided square, with the illusion of the object being in the middle.

As an example, the well from The Temple of Three.

And here's what I meant by a one-sided square.  I only placed the wall on the outside of the block, trying to create the illusion of the well being in the middle of the space.  It wouldn't look right sitting in a single line because it would have no depth.

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 06:57:35 AM »
Very nice.

I have done something similar for a couple objects I played with. That table from the first set of walls i posted (lifted from from tavern wall set and heavily modified) and with a spherical object which might make it into FA00.

However, I played with the side views and have a workable way to do it. What is needed is to place the entire object in the side views, excepting the Close pair. The real trick is in making the object recognizable and "tile" nicely.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
Wow, nice work, Merle and Vix!