Author Topic: Spell editing: Text pointer for snake charm?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Iranon

Spell editing: Text pointer for snake charm?
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:01:50 AM »
Hello! I hope this is the right place...

Ever since I noticed you can have Snake Charm affect everything if you use bogus variables instead of hp, I have wanted to hijack it for Time Stop (all opponents stunned for 3 rounds - muahaha). The problem: I can't find the pointer for the 'is charmed' message anywhere near the region associated with Snake Charm, and therefore can't change the text to a more suitable 'is affected'.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Spell editing: Text pointer for snake charm?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »
I'm not sure how to do it, but if what you're saying is true, does it affect the caster, or are they immune?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Iranon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
Affects only opponents, caster and fellow party members act as they please (making it very strong indeed... if I expect the party to get high enough to use it I'd reduce the duration to 2 rounds, effectively one because of a very long casting time).

Still,  '... is charmed' remains a horribly inappropriate message and I'm stumped how to change that :(

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:15:33 PM »
Unless you are dead set on calling Time Stop, call it Mass Charm, or Illusory Paralyzation, or something.

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:27:53 PM »
It could be that all mentions of "Charm" go to a single text pointer.   

Offline Iranon

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »
The strange bit is that usually these mentions are easily found... a group of 84 131, one for each other spell with the charm message. After changing *every* instance of this group to something associated with another message, snake charm still displays the same old text.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to such things, and simply changing the name of the spell won't do (I want the classics, from a time when adventurers were adventurers and flumphs were nervous!) :)

Looks as if I'll have to torture my text strings a little... something I hoped to avoid because it makes my work more confusing and messes with overall compatibility between mods.

Offline Merle

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
I found "is charmed" with James Blair's String Edit program; it's listed as CKITSTED in UAShell.  "Is Charmed" is string #156.

anything