Author Topic: Question for hackers: How are most people handling hacks?  (Read 110 times)

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
Question for hackers: How are most people handling hacks?
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
So some of you may have seen some of my latest posts--with FRUA98 and HackCKIT out of commission I don't have a good way to do item or spell hacks. Nonetheless, there are still people making hacked mods. How are you doing it? Old computer? Emulator?

Offline hans

Re: Question for hackers: How are most people handling hacks?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »
I have Windows 8.1 and have been using FRUA98 quite a bit.  It works fine for me, whereas many of the art hacking proggies I use need to be run through DosBox.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Question for hackers: How are most people handling hacks?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:06:31 AM »
Hi. Sorry for the slow response. I have been able to use Frua98 in Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I have also used HackCKIT with success in Windows.

I also use Nol Drek's very useful MakeDiffTbl.jar, because UAShell fails to save changes to diff.tbl reliably (or, I think, at all), and that also runs in Windows.

I have also used a program called Midpack to create music files, and this too runs in Windows

The other programs that I have used with success, all running through DOSBox (either with or without UA Shell) are Backgrow, Dunggrow, Fontedit, Framedit, NAFN, NINEPING, IconEdit, Textedit, Str_Edit, UA256, UA Toolbox and Wildedit.

I also use UGE (for CKIT.EXE and SCRIPT.GLB editing) running through DOSBox.

Between all the above programs (with a lot of trial and error and backing up!) I have managed to achieve just about everything I think I can achieve in FRUA hacking.

I seem to recall that problems can potentially occur if you have your CKIT.EXE in some locations (like perhaps on Desktop or Program Files) so I always apply Frua98 and HackCKIT (and UGE, although I run UGE through DOSBox) to a separate "working" version of CKIT.EXE.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:08:11 AM by steve_mcdee »

anything