Author Topic: REVIEW: Assault on Kinnia Bay (by Ben Sanderfer)  (Read 912 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
REVIEW: Assault on Kinnia Bay (by Ben Sanderfer)
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:53:51 PM »
Assault at Kinnia Bay
by Ben Sanderfer (bensand@iquest.net)

Reviewed by Don Ewald

It was slightly unfair to play this design after the last. War Story was stupendous and this fell a little shorter than the other. Though this is a "Vanilla" design it left a feeling that I had played longer. It is well done and I do enjoy playing the designs that Ben puts together. This design speaks volumes of the understanding that Ben has over some of his earlier works. The design starts well and whatever expectations I had all the way through. It'd be nice to have seen a longer design, but that is for the future.

I only remember one spelling error, "Immediately."
79 of 200 events used
1204 words using 45% of the available text of 2 modules.

Rating: 6.8
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:22:18 PM by Olivier Leroux »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: REVIEW: Assault on Kinnia Bay
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »
Assault at Kinnia Bay
by Ben Sanderfer

Reviewed by Harri Polsa

The rating is very low, but it's mostly because this was such a short design. What was there was well done, and worked perfectly as a prequel (or even as the first dungeon modules) to some possible larger design in the future. It stands in its own, but only if considered the 'vanilla' rules. There really was nothing 'wrong' with it, it just left me to wish for more. And comparing to these other reviews, you might want something more from this review. :)

Rating: 4.5

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: REVIEW: Assault on Kinnia Bay (by Ben Sanderfer)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »
Assault on Kinnia Bay
by Ben Sanderfer

Reviewed by Susan McKinney

One of the "Vanilla Challenge" modules. I enjoyed this story immensely. There were no errors, nice use of flavor text to portray the harrowing escape into the woods. The battles were nice and hard. I had to restart several times from the beginning because I would get wrapped up in the storyline and forget to save. My own stupidity at work! :) I liked the setup and wished the design was longer. :(

Rating: 9 (out of 10)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »
This module reminded me of why I dislike solo character designs: you are forced to scum save if your character takes damage.

This design also showcases the horrendously bad AI/pathfinding of FRUA/GB games, when a small army of Dark Knights and their nice little doggies burst into Lady Kanniva's cottage and half of them milled about like headless chicken and couldn't find the doorway, and so did the lady. My player character only had 6 HP left after escaping the starting town, so he couldn't move out to face them. Eventually there was one Hell Hound left who panicked, but he still attacked the PC - for exactly 6 HP, of course, and there was much rejoicing among monsterkind.

Not a bad module per se, but IMO the weakest Sanderfer module I've played so far.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:37:04 PM »
This module reminded me of why I dislike solo character designs: you are forced to scum save if your character takes damage.

This design also showcases the horrendously bad AI/pathfinding of FRUA/GB games, when a small army of Dark Knights and their nice little doggies burst into Lady Kanniva's cottage and half of them milled about like headless chicken and couldn't find the doorway, and so did the lady. My player character only had 6 HP left after escaping the starting town, so he couldn't move out to face them. Eventually there was one Hell Hound left who panicked, but he still attacked the PC - for exactly 6 HP, of course, and there was much rejoicing among monsterkind.

Not a bad module per se, but IMO the weakest Sanderfer module I've played so far.

Harsh but fair.  I always appreciate your honesty.  A module so old that I forgot it even existed until your review popped it back to the top.  Says something about it, I think.