Author Topic: new config.txt for engine 2.10 and later  (Read 2459 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
new config.txt for engine 2.10 and later
« on: November 03, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »
If you are using or want to use one of our testing engines since teh last release (2.10), I"ve attached the config.txt file for the default 640x480 layout. If anyone is using another layout, let me know here and I will expedite the config.txt. And no, I will not entertain a request for someone saying "I am using all of the layouts".

Note:
To use, back-up your existing config.txt by rnaming it to something else. Add this file to your data folder and rename to config.txt.
The number part of the name indicates which resolution it is for.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:45:56 PM by manikus »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: new config.txt for engine 2.10 and later
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:44:09 PM »
And no, I will not entertain a request for someone saying "I am using all of the layouts".

I am using all of the layouts, except one.   ;)

Thanks for this.  Will this fix the issue with the misaligned combat screen frame?

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:21:06 PM »
And no, I will not entertain a request for someone saying "I am using all of the layouts".

I am using all of the layouts, except one.   ;)

Thanks for this.  Will this fix the issue with the misaligned combat screen frame?

This does indeed fix that issue. :)
Also, please note that you can use a different border for the combat if you so choose. To do so, select teh other border in the Global Settings. You then can either leave it as is, where like previous versions of DC, the left bar is used for all three vertical and the top bar for both horizontal, or you can change the source settings so that each of the five bars is different. There are quite a few notes in the config now to help with this if it is not obvious, and of course, asking also works. :)

Let me guess which layout you are not using....
Hmm...
The under-over round layout?

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
Did I just read that config.txt right? We can now make fully customisable, separately customisable combat borders?

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 09:17:58 PM »
Manikus, your config.txt appears to have a few minor problems in the way it works. These are the ones I have detected so far:

1. On the main menu screen, characters' "Max HP" are always displayed as "275".
2. On the main menu screen, all characters' names are highlighted.
3. In the character creation process, the Class choice "Cleric/Ranger" now shows up as Clericanger (because "/R" is recognised as a change to the color red)
4. Prompts like "ENTER CHARACTER NAME", information about modifying characters, and the word "CHOOSE:" after selecting QUIT, are all displayed at 0,0 instead of in the bottom left of the screen, as previously.
5. When "SELECT_CLASS_LINES_PER_PAGE =" is set to greater than 14, the last Class displayed is unselectable (moving down to that class just skips back to the top). With the default databases this affects only the Half-Elf, but custom classes will create more of a problem.
6. The "DESIGN_VERSION = " line in config.txt no longer appears to work (even when the "//" are removed. It used to display the design name and version number on the title page. This really does not matter to me, though.
(Edited to add: 7. The line "SELECT_ROLL_CHARACTER_STATS_TITLE_FORMAT = ROLL CHARACTER STATISTICS" appears not to be used at all in DC?)

Is there any way to insert extra spaces at the start of a Character Creation menu option? Space characters at the beginning of strings seem to be ignored. Is there a force-space / NBSP character that can be used somehow?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:37:04 AM by steve_mcdee »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
Did I just read that config.txt right? We can now make fully customisable, separately customisable combat borders?
I did indeed. Look what I just did! Hah!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »
Manikus, your config.txt appears to have a few minor problems in the way it works. These are the ones I have detected so far:
Thanks, Steve. Some of these I just forgot to take out. :) I have put an updated config.txt in the first post.

Now fixed.

This is not controlled by the config.txt file.

3. In the character creation process, the Class choice "Cleric/Ranger" now shows up as Clericanger (because "/R" is recognised as a change to the color red)
This is known, and the next release will have an updated classes database that fixes this (by renaming the class Ranger/Cleric).

4. Prompts like "ENTER CHARACTER NAME", information about modifying characters, and the word "CHOOSE:" after selecting QUIT, are all displayed at 0,0 instead of in the bottom left of the screen, as previously.

5. When "SELECT_CLASS_LINES_PER_PAGE =" is set to greater than 14, the last Class displayed is unselectable (moving down to that class just skips back to the top). With the default databases this affects only the Half-Elf, but custom classes will create more of a problem.
I have added a note in the file for now, and will have to get this to Paul.

6. The "DESIGN_VERSION = " line in config.txt no longer appears to work (even when the "//" are removed. It used to display the design name and version number on the title page. This really does not matter to me, though.
Actually this did not used to show anything on the title pages - it showed the version of the design (an ASL set in the editor) during the opening menus. Does it work on the main menu, add menu, etc?

(Edited to add: 7. The line "SELECT_ROLL_CHARACTER_STATS_TITLE_FORMAT = ROLL CHARACTER STATISTICS" appears not to be used at all in DC?)
I wil check on this - it should be the title of the page at 20,20.

Is there any way to insert extra spaces at the start of a Character Creation menu option? Space characters at the beginning of strings seem to be ignored. Is there a force-space / NBSP character that can be used somehow?
Have you tried adjusting the XY numbers? First number is x coordinate, second is y coordinate. This wouldn't be adding blanks spaces, this would just be moving the element over. Or am I not understanding you properly?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 05:51:37 PM »
I submitted a mini-mod for #5.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 07:22:01 PM »
Now fixed.
This is actually not that helpful at the main menu, is it? I mean, most characters will have full HP when first added... And it is not displayed in the normal 3D-view, where it arguably would be more useful.

Okay, I will do a mini-mod.

This is known, and the next release will have an updated classes database that fixes this (by renaming the class Ranger/Cleric).
I don't think that will fix it. "/c" invokes the "Custom" Colour.

In any case, that would really be a band-aid solution. This is a problem that effectively operates to restrict the class names that a designer can choose to use. Is it somehow possible to have the colour cues not operate at all within class names? (It doesn't so operate in other circumstances where the class names appear.)

Okay, another mini-mod I guess.

Actually this did not used to show anything on the title pages - it showed the version of the design (an ASL set in the editor) during the opening menus. Does it work on the main menu, add menu, etc?
Sorry, I misspoke. What I meant to say was that the design version and design name no longer appear on the main menu page. I confirm it does not work as expected. The design version does still display on the title page (and that is, I see, controlled by the line "VERSIONTEXT = 280,301" in config.txt).

It is not displayed. Is it supposed to be displayed on the Re-roll/Modify/Accept screen? There isn't much room there because of all the information on that screen. If the message "<TAB><UP/DOWN> MODIFY CHARACTER STATS" were displayed at the bottom left of the screen rather than on top of the top horizontal border, I don't think any heading for that screen would be necessary?

Have you tried adjusting the XY numbers? First number is x coordinate, second is y coordinate. This wouldn't be adding blanks spaces, this would just be moving the element over. Or am I not understanding you properly?
Yes, I've tried that. You have understood what I am trying to achieve, and I understand your suggested solution. The problem is, I only want to change the apparent X,Y for the Race/Class/Sex/Alignment that is currently selected. And there is no separate line for "SELECT_RACE_TABLE_SELECTED_XY".

Thanks. That must mean you successfully replicated the problem!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »
Now fixed.
This is actually not that helpful at the main menu, is it? I mean, most characters will have full HP when first added... And it is not displayed in the normal 3D-view, where it arguably would be more useful.
You haven't seen my fix. ;) My fix was to remove MaxHP.

Okay, I will do a mini-mod.
That would be appreciated.

In any case, that would really be a band-aid solution. This is a problem that effectively operates to restrict the class names that a designer can choose to use. Is it somehow possible to have the colour cues not operate at all within class names? (It doesn't so operate in other circumstances where the class names appear.)
Yes, that is our plan, to restrict designers class name choices. Muhahahaha. Or you know, we'll figure something out.

Okay, another mini-mod I guess.
Again, appreciated.

Sorry, I misspoke. What I meant to say was that the design version and design name no longer appear on the main menu page. I confirm it does not work as expected. The design version does still display on the title page (and that is, I see, controlled by the line "VERSIONTEXT = 280,301" in config.txt).
I will take a look at this.

It is not displayed. Is it supposed to be displayed on the Re-roll/Modify/Accept screen? There isn't much room there because of all the information on that screen. If the message "<TAB><UP/DOWN> MODIFY CHARACTER STATS" were displayed at the bottom left of the screen rather than on top of the top horizontal border, I don't think any heading for that screen would be necessary?
The message at the top is not a config.txt controlled item.

Yes, I've tried that. You have understood what I am trying to achieve, and I understand your suggested solution. The problem is, I only want to change the apparent X,Y for the Race/Class/Sex/Alignment that is currently selected. And there is no separate line for "SELECT_RACE_TABLE_SELECTED_XY".
This is an easy one...
Let's say instead of = ----->/y%s
You just want to add a couple of spaces...
Try doing this = /y  %s
As with the databases, DC ignores spaces on either side of the =, but not in between arguments, so that /y%s is different from /y   %s.

Thanks. That must mean you successfully replicated the problem!
Yup. :)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »

If the string "/R" always indicates changing the text color to red, can I suggest that the string "//" always indicates that you want a single slash to appear and to ignore the subsequent character.

The string "Cleric/Ranger" would display as "Clericanger"

while the string "Cleric//Ranger" would display as "Cleric/Ranger".
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 01:44:35 AM »
If the string "/R" always indicates changing the text color to red, can I suggest that the string "//" always indicates that you want a single slash to appear and to ignore the subsequent character.

The string "Cleric/Ranger" would display as "Clericanger"

while the string "Cleric//Ranger" would display as "Cleric/Ranger".
Nol, I think a problem with that suggestion is that, in some contexts (eg, the VIEW screen), the /r does not change the text color to red. So in those contexts, "Cleric//Ranger" would presumably be displayed.

I wondered whether it might be possible to change the color switches to something like "[/r]", "[/b]", etc. That seems less likely to appear by accident. But that would, I suppose, cause backwards-compatibility issues for existing work-in-progress designs that already use "/r", "/b", etc in text events.

You haven't seen my fix. ;) My fix was to remove MaxHP.
Ha. That was my fix too! Good one.

The message at the top is not a config.txt controlled item.
Okay, I get that now. Paul has fixed the message at the top, so it appears at the bottom left. Am I right in thinking that changing the line "SELECT_ROLL_CHARACTER_STATS_TITLE_FORMAT = ROLL CHARACTER STATISTICS" in config.txt has no effect on the game, or have I missed something?

This is an easy one...
Let's say instead of = ----->/y%s
You just want to add a couple of spaces...
Try doing this = /y  %s
As with the databases, DC ignores spaces on either side of the =, but not in between arguments, so that /y%s is different from /y   %s.
Great solution. Just required a little bit of lateral thinking. Thanks.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »
I don't want to change the color tags. They are used in many places throughout DC and in quite a few existing designs - I think likely everything that Dinonykos has done (and I use them too).
As Steve pointed out, "/r" is a color change tag in the config.txt, but not where the names appear elsewhere. Any changes I make to the name in the classes database will change how it appears on the character screen during game play.
We also don't want to use "//" because in all of our databases, that is the code for 'comment'.

Paul and I will figure something out, by which I mean Paul will figure it out, and I will say, "Great solution, Paul." and all will be good. ;)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »
Not that I am especially advocating changing the colour tags, but this would not affect Dinonykos' existing released designs unless they were updated to use the latest version of DC.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
Not that I am especially advocating changing the colour tags, but this would not affect Dinonykos' existing released designs unless they were updated to use the latest version of DC.

They would for me. I update everything I play to the latest release engine/editor (at some point, not first playing necessarily). I also think that Dinonykos will update some or all himself at some point once he gets the hang of the new version.

But, you do make a fair point.

anything