Author Topic: add-on for monsters database: UNDERWATER - now LIVE  (Read 3421 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: add-on for monsters database: UNDERWATER
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »
AD&D doesn't have a lot of prehistoric swimmers...what am I missing? I don't plan on doing any dinos that just stand around in water unlesss they also spend some time completely underwater, like hippos. :D

I have this wonderful jellyfish icon, Uatu, but aside from a reference in the 2e MM in another creatures description, I can't find any stats for a Portuguese Man-o-war (or any other jellyfish). I even looked to Dragon magazine. If one of you folk wanted to put forth some numbers that other folks looking at this thread can comment on (and agree upon) I will add it in.

I added some more things to the list and just now realized that walrus was not one of them.  Big news here - not counting the jellyfish, any missing prehistorics and the walrus, the monsters are done. Next I will do the itemss, then the spells, then the special abilities. :D I would say that I am at least 80% of the way done with this. In fact, I am so far ahead of my schedule that I am considering doing some icons myself (well, they will likely be some icon re-colors).

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »
There's 2e stats for Giant Jellyfish here, you could convert it to 1e.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
Portuguese Man-o-War, Giant is an entry in the Monster Manual :D  It is even fairly flexible (sizes from S to L, 1-4 HD)!  (Technically, it is not a jellyfish, though.)

Also, in the "Dinosaurs" section of the MM, there are a fair number of non-dinosaur aquatic creatures, such as the Dinichtys (a giant fish), Archelon Ischyras (a giant turtle), Plesiosaurus, and Mosasaurus (which is the icon I did).  The MMII has the Nothosaurus and Tenndontosaurus (should be Temnodontosaurus - a huge ichthyosaur).  I wish it had some smaller ichthyosaurs!
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 10:13:44 AM »
Dinichtys (Dunkleosteus) would be a great creature for an underwater scenario!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:29:34 PM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 12:50:07 PM »
Okay, my bad - I only searched for jellyfish, not by the specific name. D'oh! I will add that tnoght.

I will look at all of teh dinosaurs listed, and since I already did the entries, it would e criminal not to add them. ;) Now, I just need to work on teh walrus and then on to the rest of the stuff.

Thanks all.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
I was under the impression that there was a Portuguese Man-of-War icon on your site, Uatu. Can't find it if there is, nor in my collection... Regardless, the jellyfish is in!

edited to add:

All six dinos/prehistoric creatures on the list have been added. :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:31:13 PM by manikus »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 11:06:23 PM »
Walrus - well, in 2e Forgotten Realms, from the Powers and Pantheons book, there were some simple statistics for seals and walruses.  :D  Here they are:

Seals (2d8): AC 6; MV 3, Sw 24; HD 2; THAC0 19; #AT 1; Dmg 1d4 (bite); SZ M (4-6 feet); ML avg (9); Int animal (1); AL N; XP 35.

Walruses (2d8): AC 5; MV 3; Sw 24; HD 2+2; THAC0 19; #AT 1; Dmg 2d4 (bite); SZ L (7-9 feet long); ML avg (10); Int animal (1); AL N; XP 65.

...just for your reference, just in case!

Sorry, I can't say I have made any jellyfish or related animal icons yet.  The Man-o-war looks interesting if a bit difficult - since the top part is supposed to float on top of the water.  (Also interesting how in AD&D, the name kept the "Portuguese" part in there - since most names took out the historical geographical elements.)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 01:31:19 PM »
Thanks, Uatul :D

I had not thought to look in Powers and Pantheons for creature stats. I think I might use one or both of these because... I want to. ;) I am likely going to lower the seals HD and XP or raise the walrus HD. It seems odd that they would be so close.

It is weird that they kept Portuguese - maybe I will drop that and go with Giant Man-o-war Jellyfish.

I believe that I have models for all 3 of these, not to mention some others like crab that you, Uatu, do not have icons for. I am waiting until I am completely done with the databases first, though. I tend to get lost in the art and by the time I am done with it, don't feel like doing any more database stuff. ;)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
I guess that those are pretty big seals there?  :D

As for the man-o-war - they're not jellyfish, exactly...  apparently they are something called siphonophores, which are like weird jellyfish relatives that are actually little mini-organisms that stick together and act like a single organism.  "Siphonophore" sounds kind of exotic, actually!

Art kind of does that to me, too, to be honest!  :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
Walrus made it onto the list per it's 2e stats. Seal made it on, but as 1+1 and fewer XP points.

I am working on special abilities now and think the monster roster is complete.
However....
Uatu, if you had a secret hidden icon of a 5 to 6 foot long Tiger Shark, I would like to add a mediumm sized shark. I realize that I don't need the icon for it, but we have icons for all of the other sharks and it would be cool if it was ready to use.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
Hmm - I don't have a tiger shark icon unfortunately!  Maybe if the icon bug bites me for that one...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 02:21:46 PM »
Well, let thiss be an official request then. :D If you get the time of course. By the by, the next add-on that I will start is one of several Outer Planes add-ons. I think I will tackle those by race, so any icons you might have hidden on you computer somewhere will be called for. :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »
At any rate, here is my somewhat rough mosasaurus icon, along with a more realistic (?) coloring of the old elasmosaurus icon, too.  (I might shade it more later, but since I've not touched it for 2 weeks or so now, I am temporarily giving up.)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »
Woot! These are awesome! I will add them to the package.

I am far enough long that I took some time to try my hand at a Tiger Shark and Mako Shark, both on the smallish size for their kind, but I really want some smaller sharks for folks to use.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 07:35:42 AM »
As for sharks...  Hmm, lessee...

AD&D stats for normal sharks seem to range from 3-8 HD, with 3 damage ranges, and 2 size ranges (M to L).  Actually, re-reading the entry, it seems that Giant Shark includes great whites and megalodons, from 20-50' in size, and with 10-15 HD and 3 damage ranges.  'M' is 5'-7', so...

That gives us:

HDD
3 (5') - Blacktip Shark
4 (7') - Spinner Shark
5 (9') - Blue Shark, Sand Tiger Shark
6 (11') - Bull Shark, Narrowtooth Shark
7 (13') - Short-finned Mako Shark?
8 (17') - Tiger Shark?
10 (20') - Great White Shark, Great Hammerhead Shark, Greenland Shark
11 (26'?)
12 (32'?)
13 (38'?)
14 (44'?)
15 (50') - Megalodon

I've bolded what I have made already.  Hmm - might be nice to have some of the littler sharks on this list, I guess!  I wish some of the more peculiar-looking ones (that are also aggressive) were smaller, too, though!

anything