Author Topic: PREVIEW: Deepdelvers of the Realm  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Kaz-Keith

PREVIEW: Deepdelvers of the Realm
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »
Deepdelvers of the Realm

By Keith Allen (Kaz-Keith)

This module is fully compatible with Ray Dyer's Realm series.

This module was created in an effort to allow bridging of low-level parties to Ray's higher level Realm games.  It is, in and of itself, a complete adventure for starting 1st level parties of 4-6 characters.

Deepdelvers began as a personal challenge to put more emphasis on FRUA's 3d environment.  As such, just as much action takes place outside of active combat, and the player will find him- or herself able to interact with the dungeon in numerous ways.  True to the dungeoncrawl genre, Deepdelvers of the Realm will lead the player through darkness and peril, with the lure of promised treasures and quests to fulfill, terrible foes to thwart and mindbending puzzles to solve.

My inspiration for this module came mainly from such 1st person 3d games as Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore, and the lack of a working editor for such games.  Experience with such games would certainly help the player, but is by no means required in order to enjoy this type of FRUA game.  Deepdelvers of the Realm otherwise follows the FRUA standard: utilsing 1st edition rules and generalities, versioned creatures and spells.  New items also exist, but again these are fully compatible with the full complement of Realm games.

I've loved tabletop gaming since I was very young, and I wanted to really mould a FRUA module after a traditional pencil and paper experience.

Features:

* A new resting system, including player settings customisation.

* A majority of brand-new art, combined and refurbished to its own style.

* An embedded journal where quests are viewable.  (Viewable party items, maps, and notes are also included.)

Description:

Set in the Forgotten Realms, play begins with the party searching for adventure.  The game includes an introductory sequence where the player can customise their party's origins and starting gear if he or she so chooses, including the option to begin play with a gift from a character's ancestors.  (These options were derived from 1st edition sourcebook material, and are completely optional in-game.)

Once in the main city, the party is loosed to do as they will.  (Players who are not familiar with the Forgotten Realms are encouraged to check out a few books in the library, but it's not mandatory).

Deepdelvers of the Realm will take players through the seemingly-endless corridors and chambers of one of the Forgotten Realms' most nefarious and most extensive dungeons, a place where truly heroes are born or broken.

Do you dare to see if you have what it takes to be a Deepdelver?

Release date:  *COMING SOON*

Offline Kaz-Keith

Re: PREVIEW: Deepdelvers of the Realm
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »
Preview screens capped from in-game play (no spoilers):

* Having a stroll to the outdoor market.

(City navigation is done on maps like this one.)

* Resting menu.

(Quests are viewed in the party journal, and resting requires food... good thing a sharp-eyed Deepdelver is used to scavenging!)

* introductory dungeon

(Graffiti? In a sewers!? What are the Realms coming too...)

* introductory dungeon

(Looks like a lot of litter in here too. *sigh*)

* introductory dungeon

(...and rats?  Not cliche at all. Look out!)

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »
 - more screencaps -

* sample screen

(Hmm... two doors?  This one looks okay-)

* sample screen

(-but this one's been ripped right off?!  Better try the first one.)

* sample screen

(In this game, concealed and secret doors can be detected but that does not guarantee the ability to open them. Keen eyes are often the best source for overcoming this particular obstacle.)

* sample screen

(Languages can be a problem without some racial diversity among the party.  Never fear, however:  learned magic-users and handy thieves are usually familiar with a few glyphs.)

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
-more screencaps:-

* sample screen

(Hmm... someone's spared no expense down here...)

* sample screen

(The one on the right looks a bit off to me.)

* sample screen

(Probably nothing, but it pays to follow your gut in a place reeking of magic and traps.)

* sample screen

(Hmm... those look sharp.  Don't TOUCH anything, Flurr!)

* sample screen

(When delving through a deep dungeon, is there ever a good time to 'investigate funny noises'?)

* sample screen

(Maybe this does something? Experimenting with stuff can be dangerous, but can also be very rewarding.)

* sample screen

(Deepdelving is almost never as simple as throwing a lever... but, you never know until you try, right?)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:28:47 PM »
*drools*

Cannot wait.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:49:54 PM »

I am always amazed at what you can make FRUA do after all these years, Keith.  I can't wait to see more of this!!!   :o

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:17:57 AM »
 :o

I mean...

:o :o :o :o :o :o

I stare in amazement.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 03:41:24 AM »
... and resting requires food...

Makes me think of old p&p games where having a cleric who could cast Create Food & Water could really lighten the packs.

I take it that like EOB, the option won't be available here.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 03:49:01 AM »
:o :o :o :o :o :o
I stare in amazement.

Same here! This is so impressive!
In another thread you stated that you are "less of an artist", however, when it comes to combining different scources and altering the graphics for your own purposes, you are indeed outstanding (and an artist concerning that aspect)! I do not like it if designs have inconsistent graphics, but what I see here is beautiful and very consistent despite different scources (and, if I see correctly, some elements done by yourself).

In addition, if this design/module keeps what the screenshots (and your "figure captions") promise concerning ideas, options and so on, it should become both an optical and an intellectual feast... :D

Makes me think of old p&p games where having a cleric who could cast Create Food & Water could really lighten the packs.
I did not intensively play EoB, but I thought there was a create food spell...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:57:14 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:29:50 PM »
Overland / Wilderness Marketplace.

Levers and Statues.

Dungeon Dressing.

All right, I'll keep Area-View OFF and graph paper handy.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »

Yep Ed's got it right: Create Food and Water was a, ahem, staple of EOB.

In Deepdelvers, food serves more than one function but yes, it will be the cost of resting.  While there isn't a spell for creating it, per se, there is a means to gain it via clerical piety.  Manna from heaven?  Biscuits from Bane?  Crudite from Chauntea?  Turkey and Swiss on Wheat from Torm, Selune and Waukeen (hold the Mayo from Mask)?

Ok.  Stopping now.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 09:22:43 PM »
Oooooooooooo!

I am SO looking forward to this!  Can't wait to generate a new party of first-level characters and set off for adventure!

Offline Iranon

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 04:26:34 PM »
Consider me blown away. Marrying excellent art to clever and, as of yet, underused mechanics... this is going to be awesome!

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »
 **update:

Effort has officially re-re-rebegun with this project:  I am currently mid-play and reviews for the 2017 March 1-Week Design Challenge submissions, and have been buttoning up a Chapter 1 portion of this project for play.  This is a direct result of the recent invigorating energies from our FRUAites, from players to creators.  This will coincide with a bundle of art blanks (drop-ins) for those of us who prefer to edit and not draw/paint.

Riding the wave,

kaz-keith

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 06:07:37 PM »

Cannot.  Wait.   ;D

Sounds so awesome!!!