Author Topic: Moving Sprites  (Read 8797 times)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Moving Sprites
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
If it is part of a database, it can be given or taken away via scripts. DOes that answer your question, ST? ;)

Yes. Yes it does. Thank you. Now for my rebuttal.
YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Now I'm sure that using the GPDL conversations engine would be the logical way to do this, and so I still have a lot to learn. But I'm sure you could see using the attacks of some of the "strange" monsters that remove spells from the list of memorized spells (memory moss? I think Psionics had an attack like that as well...)

Things continue to get more interesting (and I'm stuck on the sidelines :()

So, why does this make it anything other than an "after version 1.0" request?
We all agree it would be cool, but FRUA and the Goldbox games didn't do it...

I was merely making a case against dismissing the changeable backdrop request due to the "anything can be done with backdrops can be done with walls" argument. I am no artist, so I'll not try to defend any position on THAT argument...

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »
If it is part of a database, it can be given or taken away via scripts. DOes that answer your question, ST? ;)

Yes. Yes it does. Thank you. Now for my rebuttal.
YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Now I'm sure that using the GPDL conversations engine would be the logical way to do this, and so I still have a lot to learn. But I'm sure you could see using the attacks of some of the "strange" monsters that remove spells from the list of memorized spells (memory moss? I think Psionics had an attack like that as well...)

Things continue to get more interesting (and I'm stuck on the sidelines :()

Or, you can do it with Special Abilities which is easier. ;)

So, why does this make it anything other than an "after version 1.0" request?
We all agree it would be cool, but FRUA and the Goldbox games didn't do it...

I was merely making a case against dismissing the changeable backdrop request due to the "anything can be done with backdrops can be done with walls" argument. I am no artist, so I'll not try to defend any position on THAT argument...

ST
The discussion you reference is a different matter - a backdrop and wall can do the same thing and it would be possible to do a design using only one or the other. But how the engine switches graphics in and out is a different point all together.
Don't worry, this rquest will not get forgotten. ;)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »
My thoughts were Special abilities when combat, but given the idea of the SSotB goldbox "cast a dispel magic" type event, there would have to be some kind of framework for the event... hence the GPDL conversations engine.

With the fact that I'm lagging behind the development without a computer to test stuff, you would know an easier way.
But the easiest way (for a user, not the easiest for a developer/programmer) would require a big code insert, so I don't expect a "cast spell" event

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »
A Cast Spell event could easily be made out of a Who Tries event with a bit of scripting added on. :D

One reason not to have a Cast Spell event is that it is so limited. If a designer can use an existing event or two chained together to accomplish the same goal, I say the designer does it that way and posts a description/tutorial about how she did it.

What I would really love to see come out of the community is a repository of scripts and databases, etc. where folks could post what they've done for others to use.
One of the things I will be focusing on once the new version is out, is improving/creating community resources. :)

Oh, and I thought of many different ways I would like to be able to change a backdrop that are not related to the time. :) I'm sure you can as well. To me, this means that a programmer gives us the capability and then we write scripts to do it. :D