Author Topic: The Who Tries Event  (Read 1001 times)

Bargles Familiar

The Who Tries Event
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:22:15 AM »
According the UA newsletter thirty two the who tries event is flawed it states that an ability should be compared to a random d100 or d20 or a number selected, however it does not work properly. Unfortunately when testing this in FRUA all I can do is the latter option and never the random dice roll. Will this change in DC, as an example when checking a thieves skill according the 1st edition rules it is compared to a d100 with a higher number indicating failure. All I can do in FRUA is guarantee success or failure but no probability. So reloading a saved game and replaying a module with the same party or similar characters will always have a  predictable outcome regarding this event. So what I am asking for is can we have the random option as originally intended.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: The Who Tries Event
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 04:33:45 PM »
This even in DC allows you to compare the scores against an x-sided dice, where the designer determines the x. :D You can also compare against a set number.

Bargles Familiar

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:52:20 AM »
That is good news, thieves get so underused in D&D CRPGS.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:05:09 PM »
I agree. :)

In the .914 version of DC, the thieve's skills are broken, but it was one of the first priorities when fixing began a year or so ago and they work great for the next release, as does backstab.